The Anvils of Konor - Champion Grune Thrael painted!

Capt. Jack

Good evening all!

I finally caved and started work with some of the MKVI plastics that had been sitting in my bits box.

Coupled with a conversation the boys on Geno Two Five were having re; Seekers vs. Headhunters and listening to Ravenlord on YouTube, I decided to put together a XIXth Legion Strike Leader.

Now, I've never made a Raven Guard in my life, and had always considered them a little emo for my liking, but reading up on them, they're actually pretty badass. Besides, you'd be a little upset if your Legion was reduced to only 4,000 Astartes after the dropsite massacre!

Also, I listen to Type O Negative, a style of music I feel captures the mood of the Legion well!

This chap needs a little work on his half-cloak and lower legs, but I'm pretty happy with the results. I was VERY late to the Corvus pattern appreciation train, but I hope this guy makes up for that!

C&C welcome, and of course if you feel I should add anything, let me know!

gallery_29868_12826_402825.jpg

gallery_29868_12826_7082.jpg

gallery_29868_12826_95519.jpg

gallery_29868_12826_292547.jpg

That Whitescar is INSANE! The attention to detail and character are awesome.

What tool did you use to carve those recesses into his shins? They're remarkably clean, so something more than a knife? Or do you just have crazy knife skills too?

Many thanks Ovidius! When the putty was soft I marked lines in with a colour shaper which I then cleaned up when it was completely cured. I'm glad it turned out ok!

If it was up to me you'd shelf all your projects and focus on making the most badass Scars army the board has ever seen. :P

That guy is freaking incredible.

Tyrannicide, your words are most kind! This is very tempting, but I would definitely have to wait for mk2 plastics to embark upon such an endeavour!

Besides, I have my XIIIth to finish, and DG to work on!

Amazing sculpting/modeling here. really liking Tem

Sweet! Loving the smaller backpack. I may steal that idea for some ship-boarding marines. FW had these funny mk2/3 backpacks for heavy weapon squads but I like your look better. Again, loving all the details like the beaky cloak clasp and the cover on the Bolger. I am still jealous of your sculpting still as I love the optic added.

I also wanted to say something about adding a knife. Raven Guard like quiet kills right? When looking to see if he already had a blade I noticed the nostrils on the beak...there you go again.

Miss seeing the Death Guard but this variation has been bliss...now to keep my fingers crossed to see you make a kakophoni.

Good day all!

Over the last few days I've been working on more XIXth Legion seekers, and wanted to share some WiP pics.

I'm waiting for a load of bits to get sent from home, so will suspend the project temporarily.

There are plenty of things to finish off with these chaps however, including half-cloaks, backpacks, legs, bolters and helmets. These will keep me busy over the next couple of days at any rate.

I honestly don't know why I had such an issue with Corvus pattern for so long, the plastic kits are just excellent. My *only* issue is that the FW resin pads are much slimmer than the plastics, so I am on the prowl for more resin goodness...

I have some brand new Mor Deythan on their way also, so looking forward to implementing them into the squad and saving the sniper bolters for other projects.

So, this is seeker #2, who I tried to give a nice, natural and dynamic pose as he dashes towards his objective. I really rate the 'new' tactical squad arms that come separately from the hand/gun (I believe this was done first with Sternguard/Vanguard kits?!), as they allow my marines to hold their bolters in a more realistic manner akin to modern day soldiers.

Anyways, ramblings aside here he is;

gallery_29868_12826_367675.jpg

For seeker #3, I wanted an 'overwatch' look, as he surveys the battlefield for signs of the enemy. The legs took a bit of work, and still need a little more before I am happy. For some reason I felt the beakie didn't look quite right, so I gave him this sternguard head, which imo find the Raven Guard aesthetic nicely. He's a pretty angry guy understandably!

It's also the first time I have ever had a marine resting on the helm of a fallen foe. I guess it's always seemed quite 'cheesy', but in this instance by adding the pauldron and vambrace it ties it together nicely. Tempted to add some ballistic impact damage to the shoulderpad...

gallery_29868_12826_43799.jpg

Obviously really keen to hear what you guys think of these chaps! In addition, I want to know what other Legions you would like to see me attempt!

"You cannot strike what you cannot see" - Corvus Corax

Sweet! Loving the smaller backpack. I may steal that idea for some ship-boarding marines. FW had these funny mk2/3 backpacks for heavy weapon squads but I like your look better. Again, loving all the details like the beaky cloak clasp and the cover on the Bolger. I am still jealous of your sculpting still as I love the optic added.

I also wanted to say something about adding a knife. Raven Guard like quiet kills right? When looking to see if he already had a blade I noticed the nostrils on the beak...there you go again.

Miss seeing the Death Guard but this variation has been bliss...now to keep my fingers crossed to see you make a kakophoni.

Many thanks brother! When the legs are fully finished I will add some sheathed blades to the outside greave. It's funny you mention those backpacks, I plan to use those for my breachers! Great minds! ;)

I will plough on with more DG soon, I assure you, but I must agree, this has been FUN!

Kakophoni sounds very interesting, and I have one torso that I hacked apart from some legs I used in a conversion last year... ;)

Wow the strike leader looks amazing! I fully agree with hushrong about seeing all this awesome variation. Also I was wondering what kind of knife do you use to cut out the foot from the greeve so cleanly?

You're too kind brother!

I currently use some '10a' blades bought in China, but they lack the edge of British Steel! I just cut very slowly and methodically, being very careful not to apply too much pressure - blade could snap easily or I could end up in A&E! Not making World Eaters quite yet!

The new seekers are looking great! I like how you did the dead marine for the second seeker, made it seem like it was being pulled into the ground. Cutting the feet off without damaging the greeves is still a challenge for me, but I'll try out the 10a blade when I can pick some up.

Hey guys,

Spent the last couple of days working on Aurek Mor of the Iron Hands for a bit of fun.

His background is super cool as are his rules, and I figure he would be a nice addition to a Shattered Legion force I may be tempted to write up! That said, I still have no love for Salamanders, I just think they're a little too soft for Astartes!

I delved into the interwebs for some inspiration because, you guessed it, I've never done a member of the Xth Legion before!

I've never had so much love for my bitz box before, it's the gift that keeps on giving! I converted up a servo arm (it was a bit of a pain to reposition the old metal Techmarine piece!) and scratch built his paragon blade this morning, which I am very chuffed with.

Now the model is starting to take shape, but his left leg looks really terrible atm. I found a kickass image on the Internet (not mine, just want to make that clear), of a bionic terminator leg that looks like a mini Reaver titan, and I just had to model it! Very early stages but I want to take my time on it. Kudos whoever conceived the idea, it's great!

Also, I'm very happy with how my chainmail sculpting is coming along - it's looking much more 'overlapping' and realistic now, which is nice! I'll add more under his pauldrons to carry on with the Iron Hands aesthetic.

So, pictures!

gallery_29868_12846_1044119.jpg

Close-up of the face;

gallery_29868_12846_105592.jpg

Servo-arm;

gallery_29868_12846_329808.jpg

gallery_29868_12846_88854.jpg

gallery_29868_12846_355184.jpg

The bionic leg idea I will try to execute;

gallery_29868_12846_90692.jpg

The new seekers are looking great! I like how you did the dead marine for the second seeker, made it seem like it was being pulled into the ground. Cutting the feet off without damaging the greeves is still a challenge for me, but I'll try out the 10a blade when I can pick some up.

Thanks buddy! I'm glad you like. I might have to poll to see what Legion I should eventually paint!

I cannot recommend you take your time with cutting the foot out. Be patient and you will avoid injury!

Your sculpting skills continue to increase and amaze with every new marine you convert! I would be forever in your debt if you would post a tutorial on your chain mail sculpting method for us. The Iron Hand terminator is looking fantastic already. The Lascutter bit spliced onto the power sword is absolutely brilliant!

I looked at the picture before reading anything about your Iron Hand. I was wondering why he had a trunk for a foot until I saw the accompanying art. That will look awesome!

Also, love the extra detail you added well for the armor and servo harness. Must also say that is quite the paragon blade.

Impressive.

I read that in a Ferrus Manus voice! Thanks :)

The chainmail is seriously impressive, it must have taken so much patience to finish. I like the tech-y looking paragon blade, looking forward to seeing the "titan leg" done!

Many thanks, just did a mass batch of chainmail for the pauldrons! I'm really pleased the blade has had such good feedback (also that I have loads of lascutters in my bitzbox!), I should think of a name for that pattern!

I will concentrate on the leg tomorrow; really want to get it right!

ooooh this is going to be impressive!! That's a damn smart looking bit of art! I am really looking forward to seeing where you take this, especially the leg!!

I hope so Eidolon! A continuation of what has become my 'legion series'! Hehe.

Your sculpting skills continue to increase and amaze with every new marine you convert! I would be forever in your debt if you would post a tutorial on your chain mail sculpting method for us. The Iron Hand terminator is looking fantastic already. The Lascutter bit spliced onto the power sword is absolutely brilliant!

Many thanks Ephrael! I have finished another batch of chainmail with your request in mind and I shall upload tomorrow for you :)

I looked at the picture before reading anything about your Iron Hand. I was wondering why he had a trunk for a foot until I saw the accompanying art. That will look awesome!

Also, love the extra detail you added well for the armor and servo harness. Must also say that is quite the paragon blade.

Many thanks Hushrong, it's amazing how far you can get when you're forced to think outside the box by a limited bitzbox! A little more embellishment for the armour but most of the work left to do is that leg concept!

Hey guys,

I hope everyone has been as blown away by the new FW goodies as I have! Absolutely loving the new Thousand Sons contemptor.

Totally makes up for the disastrous 40k Guilliman they showed the other day...

Anywho, Ephrael kindly asked for a chainmail tutorial, so I will *hopefully* be able to explain the process to match the accompanying picture.

I'm also keen to know how this 'debt' can be paid off Eph... :P

So, let's begin!

gallery_29868_12846_6316.jpg

I start by mixing up from GS at roughly a 55:45 blue:yellow ratio. I've always found this works best.

Once it's thoroughly mixed (and take care to avoid using the 'bonded' yellow/blue putty where it joins, as this causes unmixed blobs to appear), roll it into a little sausage and press into a tile or dish. Do not treat this surface with water or vaseline beforehand, you want the greenstuff to stay stationary whilst you sculpt.

Only after this, when you are satisfied with how thick this layer of GS is (around 1mm), you can use a little vaseline on your finger and smooth out of the surface.

You then take a sharp scalpel blade and score parallel vertical lines about half the depth of the GS. This will determine how large you want your links. In the tutorial pics, as I am doing this for pauldrons, I have gone quite small.

So, using a needle with a relatively wide diameter, starting from the top you will drag the greenstuff from left to right, placing the needle point in one of the grooves you cut earlier, and displacing this until the 'wave' of material reaches the next groove along. Make sure you never overlap and ensure that work always stays in one 'column' of GS.

Then, starting from the paired channel (to the right of the one you started from), drag the material in the opposite direction. Continue this pattern until you reach the bottom.

At this stage, I go back and neaten up any holes that were misshapen by the process and then begin at the top of the next column.

Depending on how precise you want to be, this can take a while (I think this entire piece took maybe an hour?), and demands patience. Let it fully cure before removing from the tile/plate you are working with.

If you are in the wrong head space, down your tools and calm down. I can sometimes get very frustrated if for whatever reason what I'm trying isn't working, so don't force it if it doesn't feel right!

I hope this tutorial is clear enough to follow. Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you feel I have missed out an important step!

Happy sculpting!

You sick man! You turned a lascutter into a sword! You found a use for a worthless bit! Well played.

Thanks Ovidius! It'll be interesting to see if anyone copies the idea and gives new life to this rather redundant part. A lascutter is for life, not just for Heresy!

That tutorial looks very useful. I'll definitely be giving it a go.

I really like the RG seekers and that White Scar praetor is perfect. :thumbsup:

I do think you're being a little hard on the Salamanders. They haven't been well treated by black library but soft is hardly a fitting description of them.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how you model the bionic leg. It's quite an interesting design I'm curios to see how it translates onto a model.

Thank you for the excellent chain mail tutorial Capt Jack! It is very informative and well explained as well. I can't wait to try my hand at sculpting my own chain mail this week. I'm planning on a slow build Zone Mortalis specialized Dark Angels army. I've been waiting to start converting them till I found a good tutorial for sculpting chain mail. Now I can start adding it to each marine in small amounts to reinforce the knightly look I associate with 30k Dark Angels. I'm also going to try splicing some unused Lascutters onto power swords so I can field my own amazing looking weapons. Have you thought about giving the weapon a cool name? I happen to have a suggestion to offer. The "Breacher Blade," what do you think?

I am definitely in your debt Capt Jack, check your pm inbox for a message from me so that we can discuss some ideas of how I might repay your generousity in kind.

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a while, I wanted to wait until my iteration of Autek Mor, the ruthless Iron Father at the helm of the Morragul Clan was mostly done before I shared any more pics.

Phew that leg was some work, and it still isn't finished! Needs soke refining and rivets on the raised plates, but in generally happy with how it looks, especially as a first attempt! :) Tempted in future to make up a really decent one to maybe cast up for other marines!

Otherwise he needs some gaps filled, his pauldrons swapped out for FW alternatives, and a little widening of his waist.

Keen to know what you make of this guy! He was very fun, and that leg definately posed a big challenge, both to my patience and my skill!

On to the pics;

gallery_29868_12846_491776.jpg

gallery_29868_12846_808317.jpg

gallery_29868_12846_158066.jpg

gallery_29868_12846_725251.jpg

Close-ups of the bionic leg;

gallery_29868_12846_17031.jpg

gallery_29868_12846_27172.jpg

That tutorial looks very useful. I'll definitely be giving it a go.

I really like the RG seekers and that White Scar praetor is perfect. :tu:

I do think you're being a little hard on the Salamanders. They haven't been well treated by black library but soft is hardly a fitting description of them.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how you model the bionic leg. It's quite an interesting design I'm curios to see how it translates onto a model.

Thanks Checkmate! I'll think over some ideas for a potential Salamander in the future...!

The chainmail looks great. Do you sculpt it and then leave it to cure before cutting to shape and applying, or do you put it in place while still tacky?

Thanks Magos! I let it fully cure. It take enough time to do as it it, and would easily get wrecked if you tried to move it about during the curing process! I would probably cry!

Thank you for the excellent chain mail tutorial Capt Jack! It is very informative and well explained as well. I can't wait to try my hand at sculpting my own chain mail this week. I'm planning on a slow build Zone Mortalis specialized Dark Angels army. I've been waiting to start converting them till I found a good tutorial for sculpting chain mail. Now I can start adding it to each marine in small amounts to reinforce the knightly look I associate with 30k Dark Angels. I'm also going to try splicing some unused Lascutters onto power swords so I can field my own amazing looking weapons. Have you thought about giving the weapon a cool name? I happen to have a suggestion to offer. The "Breacher Blade," what do you think?

I am definitely in your debt Capt Jack, check your pm inbox for a message from me so that we can discuss some ideas of how I might repay your generousity in kind.

My pleasure Ephrael! 'Breacher Blade' sounds perfect! I'd love to see some progress on your 1st Legion also. Let me know if there is anything else I might be able to help you with in the future!

That looks like a great way to do chainmail, I'll definitely give it a try some time. Thanks!

No worries ElDuderino! It's a handy trick to have!

Ooooh yeah! You haven't disappointed with that leg! I am impressed! I actually think Mor is your best yet, and I really loved the Death Guard!! The trim/cog work is impressive, really captured the aesthetics of the Tenth... now can you make me a nice dead one to base my Praetor on.......

Great rendition of Mor - the attention to detail is superb

Thanks for the chainmail tutorial, hopefully I'll get a chance to put it to work in the future for my own Xth Legion Cataphractii

And damn, I haven't seen that particular piece of artwork for years (if you can even call it that) - nowdays I'm not a terribly big fan of it, but I'm glad it came to some good use as inspiration for your Mor's bionic leg :happy.:

Archived