Poll: What flavour of Imperial Fists are you?

Dosjetka

Poll: What flavour of Imperial Fists are you?  

631 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First post for me, but;

I have loved the Imperial Fists since I first got into 40k, to be fair I never really actually bought any models but I loved the fluff. Of course Primaris Marines... well damn take my money. One of the chapters I always loved and even more after 30k became a thing was the Imperial Fists closely followed by the Crimson fists. But my absolute favorite was the Astral Knights.

The Astral Knights did the impossible, but unlike another chapter who I shall not name, they did it but actually paid for it massively. Always thought if I was to collect a SM army they would be the ones. However I would have to collect them based around the World Engine. but now that Big G is running around handing out SM's left and right have a perfect excuse to bring them back

• 3 weeks later...

Ever since I started paying attention to this game at the end of 2nd edition, when I first saw the ad for the Imperial Fist attack Force, and the battle report between the IF and eldar in WD, I've been fascinated by the guys who dressed in yellow on the battlefield.

I started collecting IG, but bought 2 boxes of the 3rd edition boxed set, and then started collecting marines.

I couldn't paint yellow back then, because the internet wasn't what it is now, and neither were the paints, and I wasn't into mixing and shading and making my own inks. So I started my own chapter called the Iron Fists and painted them Boltgun Metal and Dwarf Bronze.

Turns out the Bronze looked like poop, and because of my divorce I ended up getting out of the hobby for 8 years. When I came back, I really wanted IF, so I began to strip the marines I had, and that went slowly so I decided just to buy new marines.

I now have three tactical squads painted and am working on my fourth. I am very happy with my progress and the fact that I can almost field a full company, which I will do during our next apocalypse game.

Here is what my SM used to look like, as my Iron Fists (totally before GW put that name in a codex!):

http://i.imgur.com/C1WYxHU.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Mz4cE1k.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As  recall, the Imperial Fists weren't even mentioned in RT, but the Crimson Fists have been around since day one. :smile.:

They came soon after, via the "Space Marine" novel, but yes. Crimson Fists were in the Lore first :smile.:

Pretty sure they were more Blood Angels (GW loved that chapter for board games), but still that was 1990.  In '87/88, Crimson Fists were the poster boys.

The Space Marine novel was 1993.  I think some CF players (myself included) don't like being ret-conned into being a Successor for a Chapter that didn't exist at the time.

Edited by Ulfgrim Alvsbane

Pretty sure they were more Blood Angels (GW loved that chapter for board games), but still that was 1990. In '87/88, Crimson Fists were the poster boys.

The Space Marine novel was 1993. I think some CF players (myself included) don't like being ret-conned into being a Successor for a Chapter that didn't exist at the time.

The ret-con was absolute :cuss. I'd imagine its because they already had chosen one lot of "blue marines" (Ultramarines), so they wanted yellow in the list as well (Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Black, White and Grey). I'm actually amazed that black is used twice (Iron Hands and Raven Guard) and one of them isn't purple.

=][= Edit: Don't dodge the swear filter. =][=

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

Pretty sure they were more Blood Angels (GW loved that chapter for board games), but still that was 1990. In '87/88, Crimson Fists were the poster boys.

The Space Marine novel was 1993. I think some CF players (myself included) don't like being ret-conned into being a Successor for a Chapter that didn't exist at the time.

The ret-con was absolute :censored:. I'd imagine its because they already had chosen one lot of "blue marines" (Ultramarines), so they wanted yellow in the list as well (Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, Black, White and Grey). I'm actually amazed that black is used twice (Iron Hands and Raven Guard) and one of them isn't purple.

=][= Edit: Don't dodge the swear filter. =][=

2 Greens also

I had to change my vote around. As much as I love the Crimson Fists, they seem to be a very popular choice with the Primaris Marines now.

Well, recently a different Successor chapter has caught my eye and they are also perfect candidates for the Primaris treatment: Invaders. Brought back up to strength with Primaris Marines and ready to crush even more Eldar :devil:

• 3 weeks later...

@Verger, Well a lot of retcon'ing happened as they actually developed story/marketing to go along with the game and the Citadel/GW merger etc. But lets look at this....The Flesh tearers, Flesh Eaters, rainbow warriors and silver skulls were all some of the "original" chapters dating back to the RT era and they were nobodies "successor" back then, we also had Space Marine Police. So along came an awesome story that required some retconing. Believe me I love the CF's and miss the days they were the poster boy but its been almost 30 years since that was done and only the old school guys like us who were around and playing then care. I have grown to love the IF's and Dorn and the lore they created to bring in the CF's,  BT's and even SD's.  

• 4 weeks later...

I will always be a Black Templar, however this list has brought the awareness of the Astral Knights to my attention. I think I now have a final decision on my Primaris chapter choice. I wanted to keep it within the line of Dorn, and since they were pretty much wiped out after the whole World Engine & Necron thing, well that just seems like ripe for them to rise again! 

Also, more excuses for me to use Chrome Paint. 

I had to choose a chapter too.

Since I wanted to use my marines for Star Quest / Space Crusade too,  it was narrowed down to Imperial Fists, The Blue Posterboys and the Bloody Redlings.

Blue was outruled, because there were already too many of them around.

Red would be ok... but, they were not codex-chapter, and had too many nipples.... 

.. but, then I focused, and when I thought of a "Space Marines", I am thinking yellow. And Chevrons. 

Ok ..  But yellow is a pain in the b*tt to paint, you know?

Do you really feel like you can do this, - you never painted before?

I took this as an challenge. 

And Chose Imperial Fists.

And, since I joined last Edition, the Bolterdrill was another nice reason to go for Imperial Fists: I had not to think about Weapon-Loadouts, everyone got a bolter or a heavy bolter.

Legion of the Damned is next, btw.

Iron Knights... largely due to a love of gardbraces and obscurantism.

Do I need to view the non-mobile site in order to see who my three brethren are?

Probably. Since I was bored, though, I looked and the three other members that voted for the Iron Knights (as of right now) are @deathspectersgt7, @Medjugorje, and @Tiger9gamer.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been thinking about Primaris lately.

I really think the Primaris marinesnlookngood as IF, like really good, so I could just paint some of them and add them to.my normal IF.

However, I've also thought about painting them up as another, more obscure chapter. Ive given thoughts to all kinds, from Mentors to Silver Skulls, mainly because it would give me access to different chaspter tactics.

But I've also thought about IF successors and I may just paint them as Astral Knights.

My Red Templars as of the end of this year.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/224452-rt-2nd-company/

I need to work on using these guys more and get the hang of them in 8th Ed. I've been pretty much exclusively playing my Battle Sisters this year.

And just more proof of how tough the Red Templars and other Imperial Fist related Chapters are:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/image/224454-rt-dreadnoughts/

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I used to collect Crimson Fists but my current space marine project is a homebrew called the Ash Revenants. I've not actually painted many models for them yet but that is mainly because the Mechanicus have been calling me since they were released. I have been working on them bit by bit and have just finished a unit of Aggressors for them today.

I'm actually surprised that there are so many successor chapters for the Imperial Fists. I didn't think they were all that numerous.

I'm actually surprised that there are so many successor chapters for the Imperial Fists. I didn't think they were all that numerous.

The Rites of Battle book for the FFG Deathwatch RPG estimated that 5% of Space Marine Chapters were descended from the VIIth Legion*. So if there are roughly 1,000 Chapters, that means that there are about 50 Successors of the VIIth Legion. The poll only lists 27, and we know that at least one of them (the Fists Exemplar) no longer exists.

* Personally, I'm not a fan of the estimates. I think that the Imperial Fists should have been higher, and that a few others that should have been much lower were actually very high. I'm not going to get us off topic with regard to which Legions should have been lower in percentage, though. I actually would have estimated the Imperial Fists Successors to be about 20% of the extant Chapters.