DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Well I promised an update by the end of the week and I keep my promises... and boy, it's a doozy (pics wise).

First of all, I've completed the Blightlords from Felthius' Cohort. You'll notice the Lord himself is missing... I just couldn't reconcile my differences with the finished product and I'm starting over. I've ordered a new box to restart the conversion and I'm going to attempt to use some Deathshroud bits as well to make him really unique. I may even wait for the Pusgoyle kit to drop and bits sites to sell the contents, I see a lot of things I could use. I've also rebased the existing Blightlords on my trench warfare bases and I've included all of the Terminators together for posterity. 

Next is the third Plague Marine Ranged Squad. I've based these guys as well so they're 100% complete and I've included additional pics of them with the second Plasma Gunner I had painted up previously as well as new pics of Melee Squad #1 with the second Blight Launcher Marine for completion's sake. 

Finally, the next unit to add to my Death Guard / Nurgle Daemon force... Plague Toads of Nurgle. They look like they're going to be a lot of fun to paint. I'll hopefully be hitting them along with Ranged Squad #4 and Melee Squad #2 with primer sometime this week and I'll try to remember to do a tutorial on my white paint scheme for everyone. 

Comments and criticism welcome!

HLtrtPsh.jpg

IIGB4Zlh.jpg

bBNyazVh.jpg

mD2aUVGh.jpg

6rtEPYCh.jpg

QWdiWJPh.jpg

dkI6E9rh.jpg

XrPHsoEh.jpg

0d3ETfEh.jpg

1JVnH7hh.jpg

yDwhWPnh.jpg

ZX30I4gh.jpg

ER6yDSSh.jpg

fd6wr6Yh.jpg

w3o0RGKh.jpg

Aaaaand... I just realized I forgot to do the heat staining on the Plasma Guns. *sigh*

Duuude! Your army is so awesome! MAN it's given me so much inspiration for my own DG - thank you!

I love the blight haulers and your terminators. It's hard to overstate how much I like this army - it's defniitely my favourite DG army I've ever seen. 

[snip]

Aaaaand... I just realized I forgot to do the heat staining on the Plasma Guns. *sigh*

haha I feel your pain, brother! That kind of thing happened to me so many times. lol 

Thank you much, friendo. If I can inspire just one person, I feel I've done good. I'll try to get the rest primed soon, we're getting hit with snow now so there's just no way right now.

And I did go back and finish the barrels. After I packed everything away, lol.

I'm still contemplating the paint job. My first reaction is to go with my Nurgle flesh scheme... but when I look at these models I think of my favorite frog, the Solomon Island Leaf Frog, which comes in a variety of colors. It would be tempting to try and emulate that, but I want to keep cohesion throughout the army. So I don't know, something to think about.

And I'm glad someone else gets that reference.

Oops, I almost forgot! These guys arrived today... I'm not proud of what I paid for them, but I really wanted to have the complete Plague Marine line and it would have driven me up a wall if I knew there were other models out there I didn't grab when I could. I don't intend on running a dinky 3-man Plague Brethren squad so I swapped the middle guy's Bolt Pistol for a Melta Gun and I figure if anything they can be dropped into any squad that needs close range anti-tank weaponry (like a Melee Squad in Rhino). 

As far as the toads go, I'm not sure I want to go with brown but I may do something like the lines I did on the snail originally along the mouth that uhh... actually goes all the way to their legs. They're like a Pacman Frog. Literally. 

XZdmmn9h.jpg

Edit: I had become a bit bummed out because I thought I had painted everything I had primed until I looked at the bottom tier of my travel box and realized I still haven't finished the next 20 Poxwalkers beyond their flesh! Looks like I have something to do until I can hit the other models with primer. This also reminds me... this will make 40 Poxwalkers completed with another... i don't know... 30 out of the 40 more I picked up left to assemble. Now I'm taking my time because I'm attempting to convert most to make them more individualized, but I wonder what ever happened to all those people that bought 200+ and claimed that Poxwalker horde was the only viable way to play Death Guard. I've yet to see a force of even 100 Poxwalkers completely painted. Hmmm...

Edited by DuskRaider

My second Easy to Build box showed up today and I went right to work on it.

The Lord is much more to my liking this time around. The head had a bit of a tilt to it, but it's still better than before. This time around I used spare Deathshroud bits (pauldrons and the uhh... top) to make him more unique, as well as spare feet I had so he's not on that derpy base. I swapped the sword and oxygen tank over as well. Looks better than before. The top bit is actually fits decently on the armour, there's a slight gap in the front that needs to be filled.

I'm really happy with the Blightlords, though. Simple head and arm swaps really changed the whole look of these guys and I was able to rid myself of a second Plague Spewer.

Let me know what you think!

ATmY32n.jpg

L725gIp.jpg

yhfczkH.jpg

AMXHqsv.jpg

Edit: the tilt to the head was still really bothering me, so I went back and fixed it. Looks a lot better now. I also added a free more bits to the model. I won't take any pics yet, though... You'll have to wait and see.

Edited by DuskRaider

The dead shall walk the earth...

I did It! I finished the next 25 Poxwalkers! Well... It was 26, but one hit the floor and the bits disappeared into the Warp so... bummer. I also used the time to rebase my first 20 Poxwalkers and took pics of all 45 together. Horde status confirmed.

As you can see, I've attempted to make the new batch more individualized from the original 20 using a variety of bits, in particular Mantic Zombies. I also gave them a bit more variety with what little clothing they wear.

While basing these guys I decided to do the same with the Deathshroud and Harbinger Rustwyrm (Herald of Nurgle). I ran out of time before I could do a few other characters, but I'll get to them ASAP.

Enjoy!

DuBq6rv.jpg

a6LunSM.jpg

3yRaWVP.jpg

T8RJza6.jpg

V9SFgMv.jpg

8EH3jrK.jpg

dE0YXAl.jpg

9YWUgE3.jpg

pMHyuyr.jpg

XREmXnb.jpg

zuL8dt3.jpg

This thread is just chock-full of inspiration for when I get back to working on my own Death Guard models! The Poxwalkers are really disgustingly wonderful, and you've made excellent use of the - fairly awkward - easy to build Terminators and Lord. The new version of the lord is also a huge improvement over both the stock model and the previous version. The only thing I don't get is why you tack on that extra oxygen (?) tank at such a weird angle: The model already has a huge tank on its back, why not just run that tube into that instead of having the extra tank dangle there in such an awkward way?

Anyway, excellent work all around! :)

Thanks Kraut! The oxygen tank is more to tie him into my 30K Praetor, seeing as he has the same thing. Technically the Praetor has the tank coming out of the left side of his forget, but I figured this time around I'd have it connect where the vent is located. After Isstvan, my Praetor's armour became a life support system as well.

Thanks brother! They're definitely just Mantic Zombies, I wanted to get some Ghouls for bits but never got around to it.

The rust is pretty simple, it's just undiluted Typhus Corrosion over the Corax White base, heavily diluted Ryza Rust, then a drybrush of Leadbelcher.

Edit: Oh! I forgot to say, I just received my order from Anvil Industry of some of their Zombie bits, namely the civilian heads and arms. Unfortunately, most have at least rolled or ripped up sleeves so they'll work on some Poxwalkers, but otherwise I may use them with either FW Renegade Militia bodies or even Genestealer Cult Hybrid kits. I definitely want some variety.

Edited by DuskRaider

So uhh... I did a thing.

I made the jump and picked up the GW Great Unclean One kit, and as you can see assembled it as Rotigus Rainmaker. Awesome model, a lot of gap filling is in my future though.

I wanted to do a side by side with the FW Great Unclean One to show the size difference. I remember thinking back when I got the GUO about a decade ago how huge this model is. Now... hats off to Games Workshop.

I'm really not sure what to do with the GUO ever since they now dual wield weapons. Scabiethrax is too expensive to field in anything but Apocalypse and there's no way I'm cutting the FW model up to add a flail or whatever. Meh... in any case, here you go.

2nsoWot.jpg

I didn't actually glue the gut mouth in so I could replace it with the intestines if I wish. I'm still deciding which I would rather use... The guts are properly disgusting, but the mouth could offer a unique contrast. That being said, I'm also not a fan of the random mouths everywhere and the one in his arm may be enough. If anything I'll prime and paint them separately so I can swap to whatever I'm in the mood for.

So... I'm not sure they'll live up to the hype but they're done.

These were much more difficult than I had anticipated due to the texture of their skin. My normal flesh recipe was rendered nigh impossible due to all of the holes and whatnot, so I had to improvise with washes and highlights. I also used a bit more color variation than I usually utilize, making these guys probably my most colorful Nurgle Daemons to date.

In all, they were a delight to paint. So here you are, the Plague Toads of Nurgle. Comments welcome, as always.

hPyABYfh.jpg

haVwVcGh.jpg

Zi7Ta8Lh.jpg

FSK3NTnh.jpg

Edit: oddly, my Imgur post error'd after already successfully submitting, so if the images aren't showing let me know and I'll repost. While I'm at it, here's something I just finished piecing together. It's the Bell for my FW Great Unclean One for WYSIWYG purposes. When finished, it'll be mounted on the base using a brass rod. I'm still coming up with ideas for the Flail and Dagger as well.

RVv6NDI.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider