DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle - An Experiment in Flesh and Machine

Wow! That pic... it is just -well, I'll just echo BCK's word- GLORIOUS!

Don't see the bases as a chore. Think of the awesome results you're creating by doing them. Because your basing looks really good. Keep it up, buddy! :tu:  

Thanks Auggs, it means a lot. The bases aren't so much a hassle as... no, wait. They're definitely a hassle. I've made sure of that myself with the combination of choosing to build up the bases on corkboard, add urban rubble (which GW doesn't have as much as I thought), and then covering it all with what's basically Vallejo Plaster (I think it's Vallejo, the jar is downstairs). Don't get me wrong, I like the end result. They've turned out better than I thought they would even though I'm still on the fence with the one Armiger base (with the statue).

Now what could this be...

Hey, I'm with you guys as well... I wanna know what a Nurgle Lancer looks like. Personally I have no clue what I'm doing. I ordered up a replacement shield and weapon for it, but as for the main body? No idea.

@Zeph: Huh? Oh jeez, I hadn't noticed that. My buddy brought it back to me the other day, he had just picked up a whet Stone and wanted to try it out. I'm not much of a knife guy... I don't even remember where that came from, lol. I just kinda set it down and forgot about it.

As for the hand there, that's just the four-limbed Rampager. Nothing new. I've got a few Knights hanging out on my "office" desk.

I'm curious to see what a Nurgle Lancer looks like. Off to a good start!

A Boil Lancer?

0HdokQH.gif

Can't wait to see where you take this one... once you figure out where that is. :)  For something that hasn't been done yet, what about a giant demonic organic weapon instead of the lance?

Hmm... I'm not sure how I would go about it. I'll have to come up with ideas. I do know my Nurgle bits have pretty much dried up, so I was thinking of picking up Glottkin and Maggoth kits soon.

I definitely want to keep it a lance-type weapon. Perhaps Tyranid bits would work. I don't want to go too mutated with it, or if I do make it look as though it starts at the weapon and is working its way into the frame.

I also received my FW Cerastus heads I ordered a while back along with a seated Knight Scion. I think he'll find a home in the cockpit here... with some modifications.

Overall I don't have any real direction I'm going in with this which is both frustrating and interesting.

I'm thinking it may be hard (but not impossible ;) ) to created a convincing nurglish lance because it is a slim and elegant weapon by design and this in turn is more widely associated with Slaanesh. However, there might be ways around that. The most obvious would be to transform it into a war scythe (very nurglish) and keeping the scythe upright at a 90 degrees angle compared to the Death Guard scythes. Such a scythe would definitely allow for impaling, but also for cutting. Not sure if this suits you. 

Another options is a trident, or a variation of it (two-pronged, three-pronged, etc.). While not typically a Nurgle weapon, it is also not associated with any other chaos power, so might work. It is however related to water and so it's easy to imagine one with rust and corrosion. A trident weapon would also definitely keep the fighting style of a lance.

Good luck :thumbsup:

May I suggest using the rapid-fire battle cannon as the scythe shaft, so the scythe blade serves as a bayonet? See Crescent Rose for an example of such a weapon.

Are you sure that's the right linky?
As other board members may be unfamiliar with, RWBY, I thought it was more appropriate to link to the show's Wikipedia article. If not, here's a link to the weapon's article in the RWBY Wiki.

A scythe...? Hm. It depends on what you mean by that, because I've gone to great lengths to avoid using one. I just see them as cliche for Nurgle. If you're talking about something like a war scythe...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe

... then perhaps. No offense to anyone who uses the traditional scythe on Knights because I know a fair amount of third party bits companies and a lot of people like to use them, but their design just doesn't lend itself to the mechanics of a Knight. Their weaponry should be more stabby or require less extreme slash angles.

The war scythe, however, would work quite well. The use of a Tyranid scything talon would actually be quite similar in design to an historical war scythe.

I also like the idea of some sort of trident. Some multi-pronged weapon with barbed tips to prevent enemy Knights from being able to easily dislodge themselves or retreat to ranged combat distances.

This is what I had ordered to replace the lance head. Not saying I have to or am going to use it, but this was my original idea:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0337/9583/3989/products/20200226_222105_1512x.jpg?v=1584274066

A simpler flared blade which would easily pierce armour and cause larger damage the further it enters the target.

The other part this guy is going to use is this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0337/9583/3989/products/20180128_150926_1296x.jpg?v=1583613287

I wanted something more mechanical, bulky and physical to replace the force shield. I think FW missed a great opportunity when they decided to forgo designing plastic inserts for the Lancer shield akin to the Van Saar shields. I realize the Lancer was released a long LONG time before the new Necromunda, but they obviously had the idea but never pulled the trigger.

I have a lot to think about with this model. Possession or not? What level of corruption? Warp flesh? Or go more Dark Mechanicum as I have with a number of them (or a mix of the two)?

Yes, a 'war scythe' definitely. That's also what I said. Im glad my ideas seem viable to you :)

Keep churning at it. Im sure you'll come up with something appropriate.

As a side note about the force shield - on FW page with Cerastus Lancer, there actually is a video that talks about why this type of shield was chosen.

Yeah, I saw you had put that but I wasn't sure everyone else knew what a "war scythe" entailed.

I just watched that video. Interesting. It makes sense for getting a better view of the model as well. It's not to say I don't like the design, it's quite elegant... and that's the problem. Elegance doesn't belong on this. I envision the frame being repurposed as more a fast (and even then GW screwed that up) battering ram or chopper. The massive adamantine shield would also be good for bashing to knock opponents off their balance or even cause damage.

Alright, well I've decided I'm going to be a bit more candid with this Rampager build. I figure most of us are stuck inside these days, so why not make it a bit more detailed. I'll keep updating as I continue building, that way you guys can see how it moves along and give input... although I've already done a decent amount of the assembly at this point. Oops.

AErcxX1.jpg

2BsmPsU.jpg

TjWl7Rt.jpg

rnPegG2.jpg

KL73oCB.jpg

3tqBn8y.jpg

QZ9Wl2e.jpg

Sorry for the potato quality pics, it's hard to get a good focus one-handed. This thing won't stand on its own.

So as you can see, I'm going with another four-armed Rampager. This was my plan, although I originally planned on using the same head as the first one. I especially wanted the ragged hood of the first one, but eventually I decided to go with something much more uhh... techy. This is aided by the Styrix bits, it just feels like they all fit together.

These new arms are what I had originally wanted to use with the first one... perhaps not Ambot gauntlets, but smaller hands nonetheless. One thing I had pre-planned was using the FW Chaos Knight Reaper Chainsword. I wanted some obvious variation between the two. The Nyx-Pattern Knight isn't meant to be a factory line model, but an idea that can be applied to basically any Questoris Knight (or perhaps larger ones...?).

I had also contemplated using the Styrix Volkite weapon, but the bits did not include it and honestly the Styrix uhh... sucks. Even the updated rules for Chaos Knights didn't do much to make it tempting. I won't lie, though... a Mageara in this pattern is pretty tempting.

Anyhow, I still have a lot of cabling to add and I'm awaiting the Thunderfist Gauntlet replacement which I don't know if it will work or not, but fingers crossed.

Edited by DuskRaider

Very cool knights in this log! I adore how each of them has their own quirks and points of interest. 

The Rampager looks promising and I'm interested to see how the Cerastus Knight ends up. The face plate you've chosen for the Rampager make it look unrelenting suiting it very nicely. Great work! :) 

Good to see your still steaming ahead with these knights. The amount of completely unique and amazing knights you have now is getting mind-blowing.

Love the Cthulu style one with all the cabling at the front. The new one already looks very promising.

You seem to be able to find another unexplored nook with each one which is so impressive.

Wish you all the best. Thank goodness for a bit of escapism in this hobby.

Thank you, brethren. I'm really enjoying this model, it's nice to see a vision physically manifest. I absolutely love my first Nyx-Pattern Knight and this one should be a worthy companion.

As promised, here's some more updates.

dwm6A98.jpg

IPgzmj9.jpg

zVWEwaT.jpg

1lmwqjy.jpg

fjxbFBr.jpg

A5CpUN8.jpg

As you can see, the face area has received more details, namely more cabling and most noticably a spiked iron band down the middle of the faceplate. This was kind of a spur of the moment thing... I had removed it from a Venomcrawler and noticed it's curvature was similar to the faceplate. Sure enough, it fit pretty well and I believe gives it a more brutal feel instead of straight Mechanicum. I've also added a vial or tube and some cabling connected to a couple ports.

Other updates are the horn on the... casque?... canopy?... over the head itself, which is from a Domitar by the way. I've also added the spiked trophy rack from the Venomcrawler on the right-side arm rail. I was apprehensive about using this piece again, but considering I've switched sides and the fact that I've removed the existing rail and this piece has completely replaced it rather than just sit atop it makes a big difference in my opinion. I've also added spikes atop The left-hand side rail protrusions. These will need to be blended in and tidied up a bit.

Other than that, I've added a few gubbins to the smaller arms... mainly a piston connecting the left gauntlet / wrist to the forearm. Ultimately it's probably meaningless, but it's interesting looking and that's all that matters. The right arm received some cable bundling, giving it a unique appearance compared to the left arm.

Let me know what you think of the additions. Does the spiked banding work on the faceplate or was it better before? Is the large horn out of place? All input is appreciated.