Blindhamsters Blood Angels & Blindhamster Jrs Tyranids

I've not been totally idle, though I've not done as much as I'd have liked lately, I worked on the inquisitor model for LutherMax, which is now headed back to him for painting.

Outside of that, I've undercoated the snap fit intercessors and reivers, undercoated the librarian, and started working on shading for the red armour on the hellblasters (nothing interesting to show for those yet - they're at the early/yucky phase!).

I did however decide to redo the captain, below is what I've got:

gallery_14877_13354_1085842.jpg

Awesome. I love the pose! Which now I can't help but think of Captain Leonatos from Bloodquest.

Have you got a Blood Angel-ier Iron Halo? He looks stellar, but I feel like a BA captain woukd have a chapter-detailed halo rather than a plain one.

Hmm, I do have lots of BA bits, so might have a look, did you have a particular one in mind?

There are these two from the BA upgrade sprue:
http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/blood_angels_chapter_upgrade_head_2.jpg
(I sacrificed the head to use this one, it looks daft perched on there imo, but once detached it's grand)

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/blood_angels_chapter_upgrade_icon_1.jpg
or this one from the Terminators:
http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/blood_angels_terminators_body_icon_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hey all,

So, I've not done too much painting lately, I've been slowly working on ALL the bare heads though, working through tutorial for the librarian that was in white dwarf, using that approach for them all.

I also got the painting recipe for the red armour used for the eavy metal blood angels primaris we've seen. So i'll be trying to follow that - I got the 50:50 evil sunz/mephiston red mix as a base colour correct at least.

Beyond painting, I've been slowly working through building the various new releases.

I've built the repulsor, I've not stuck the luggage or grav plates on so I can spray those black separately. The only blood angels bling on it is the left shoulder pad of the gunner though at the moment. Don't think I'll add other embossed detail.
I've also built the redemptor, the model is pretty cool! Again, this one doesn't have any Blood Angels embossed Details.
I've built the apothecary, he has a shoulder swap and some pendants added.
I've built the chaplain, again just a shoulder swap
I've built the reivers, very cool models once I had them in person honestly. They have a few pendants here and there but are otherwise stock.
I've almost finished building the multi part intercessors.... I'm still annoyed that my beloved BA don't get a power sword option :sad.:, the unit has been given shoulder swaps on a few, pendants on a few, I'll probably not do too much else with them.

I'm pretty happy with the sergeant anyways though...

med_gallery_14877_13354_1084852.jpgmed_gallery_14877_13354_367208.jpgmed_gallery_14877_13354_992691.jpgmed_gallery_14877_13354_542147.jpg

I sculpted another chest piece and made a press mold out of it, so now I can pretty quickly knock out blood angels primaris torsos if I desire. I'll still mostly just use it on lieutenants and sergeants etc, with the odd one dotted about the rest of the army.
I'll probably add a pendant to the grip of the pistol.

Edited by Blindhamster

Minor progress update:

The Intercessor squad is built, I've put them on plain bases until they've been sprayed. Conversion work is kept to a minimum as always. But I'm pretty happy with how they look, the interchangeable bit of the bolt rifles isn't stuck on for now, and the arms are only glued on on one side for now also, so i can easily remove them.

gallery_14877_13354_1076204.jpg

I've also started on the repulsor. Paint is a little thick in a couple of places, so i'll carefully sand that down a bit before continuing with the work on it.
gallery_14877_13354_963859.jpg

Also here is a quick example of a face I've been working on, havent done the pupils as I already messed them up a couple times and honestly needed a break!

gallery_14877_13354_9546.jpeg

Kit was genuinely a joy to put together, though I notice a seam on it that I swear wasn't there prior to painting... but yeah, genuinely great to build... except the mold lines... so. Many. Mold. Lines...

Appreciate the kind words on the face. I messed up the skin and once and eyes twice, so totally started over because if that.. but end result I'm fairly happy with.

For reference it mostly follows the primaris librarian tutorial, but I did make my own wash for it as an extra step

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm actually painting something.

I'm starting real small with my first "Fram Rage to Salvation" pledge being just the birthday primaris veteran sergeant.

I'm using the red method outlined by David Perryman (who painted the BA intercessors seen at warhammer fest and on warhammer community site when they were first shown off).

that is:

• undercoat with mephiston red
  • basecaot with 50:50 mephiston red/evil sunz scarlet
  • paint recesses with 50:50 khorne red/abaddon black
  • chunky edge highlight of evil sunz scarlet on all edges
  • thinner highlight of troll slayer orange on all edges
  • thinner highlight of fire dragon bright on most edges
  • thinner highlight of tau light ochre on corners
  • spot highlight of tau light ochre + white on sharpest points

I decided I wanted to go with the really clean and crisp style for this army, I recognise it'll be time consuming, but with a clear approach to follow I'm hoping I'll speed up with time. As noted before, I'm very much out of practice with painting so it's all a learning curve again. My brush control is not what it was, and neither is my eye sight.

That being said, I'm fairly happy with current progress, the body has had up to tau light ochre, most of the legs are up to troll slayer, the rest (backpack and back of right leg) has only had evil sunz highlight:

gallery_14877_13354_156348.jpggallery_14877_13354_211078.jpggallery_14877_13354_76601.jpg

Looking good! Where's the head from?

the head is the one that came with the model, its the anniversary model, head is identical to the shouting one from the intercessor squad, but has hair.

What recipe do you use for your flesh?

I have used, more or less, the tutorial for primaris librarian on the one finished face i have a few posts up, but with a couple of scorched brown glazes added at the end.

i can do a step by step if it helps but the white dwarf article was pretty good. The model I'm painting now has only had kislev flesh with a flesh wash wash and a druchi violet wash around the eyes. I need to touch up the kislev next then go through layers of highlights,