Primaris Chapter: Warhawks **News and Events**

Dracos

On 1/16/2023 at 10:00 PM, duz_ said:

Interesting choice

Doubling down on the Gravis, how come? Will they remain Raven Guard successors? What will be the lore behind the heavy approach from a traditionally light and stealthy chapter?

Our stealth is our operational training and planning ie Stratagems and Warlord Traits.

The Warhawks main battle line of gravis can strike faster and from more directions than any other Primaris Chapter in the Imperium. It allows them a greater level of survivability and hitting power than standard astartes troops. 

Game play the Eliminators and Infiltrators (converted Reivers) will be my Patrol/Low Incursion force and the Gravis units will serve in High Incursion/Strike Force games. 

Ultimately I am just a fan of these particular infantry figures over other parts of the line. (Ok I do really like the Assault Intercessors also) and I’ll just find a way to make them work … in 10e ;)

• 6 months later...

First game of 10th

Local game store starting up a Crusade that will run about three months. Suppose to get in one game a week. Small store only three gaming tables but 12 people got games in last night. 

I faced off against a nice guy named Bobby who is running Necrons. Pretty standard list for a 1000 points. Two groups of warriors one big one small. Indestructible gang of Liche Guard (?), 4 characters and 2 Orson Wellinan looking machines one big one small. 

I’m in the process of painting my Terminators and Heavy Intercessors so I had to proxy a unit of HInts with Eradicators so I substituted In Eliminators to start the campaign until I get them painted up. So my list consisted of Gravis Captain, 6 Aggressors, 2 x5 Heavy Intercessors, 3 Eliminators, 3 x3 Inceptors (2 units with plasma, 1 with bolters).

Medium density desert village terrain.  Good omen (sort of) as the Warhawks homeworld has a similar environment. I can’t remember name of the mission but there were 5 objectives that could be burned down and deployment zone was of a diagonal nature along the long edges of the board. I got first turn. 

First turn not much happened being that Necrons and Gravis are about as slow as two armies can get lol. I got some decent objective cards most the game and due to the way things rolled out my opponent did not, so that helped me, but in the end the results would have been same without using cards. We mostly jockeyed for position with no one taking damage first turn.

Second turn I controlled 4 of the five objectives and promptly burned two of them to the ground. That meant I was sacrificing the Eliminators as he had made a push to challenge for that objective and the one in the middle. I had a unit of Aggressors and one of HInts in the middle of the table in cover so I thought I he would have to put in some work to dig me out. Turns out the those Orson Wellian machines have some nasty guns on them. 

Turn three. My Inceptors arrived turn two but I don’t get any smarter and I waste another turn of shooting at those indestructible Liche Guard. Not being able to get to characters is killing me (and saving his LG). Apparently Precision as a Chapter trait would be so nice for Raven Guard if they were doing such things. Anyway by this point I’m up double his score but rapidly losing my army to the machines with the guns especially the one with the big cannon. 

Turn Four nothing spectacular this round more of the same turn before but at this point it’s pretty clear the point deficit is becoming insurmountable for the Necrons even though due to reanimating and poor target selection on my part they haven’t lost a single model. In a different mission this game is a lot closer but it’s the perfect example of why you have to play the mission first and the opposing army second.

Last Turn it’s obvious I’m going to lose most my units and with the score differential being what it was I made some narrative decisions instead of tactical. Which didn’t stop me from burning down two more of the objectives on Turn five because I could and it scored me 10 more points. In retribution he finally caught up with the the HInts that had just burned down the last objective in no man’s land and used the Liche Guard and the machines to kill them and a group of Inceptors with shooting and melee. I believe scare was 67 to 15 at end of the game. 

Wow, while studying a bit I didn’t realize how many things had changed or are just new to the game. I have a lot of verbiage to program into the old noggin if I’m going to play more effectively. I can’t begin to count the number of opportunities I either could have done more damage, avoid taking as much damage or didn’t realize something was a thing lol.

Appreciate my opponent didn’t get po’ed about my strategy of burning down objectives and given by games end I was almost tabled he did get the fun of killing stuff whereas I did not actually kill a single unit. I was amused the gentleman running the campaign thanked me for my sportsmanship not becoming upset I couldn’t kill anything and losing so much but I looked at the score and said it’s kind of hard to get upset when score is running away in your favor. My opponent did great job of not letting his own frustration show as most the secondary cards he got involved getting points for taking objectives … that I was burning down before he could get to them. Again there was no way this games score looks like it did in the end accept for it allowed objectives to get destroyed. Hopefully next week I’ll be able to have similar success playing the mission. 

Edited by Dracos
spelling

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure yet after two games. Losing out on Chapter traits to Detachment rules is an interesting direction that I hope works out. 

I don’t like the heavy rule emphasis that is boosting vehicles and seemingly nerfing the assault phase. I have no clue why Tau Crisis suits aren’t carrying them into the top five :ermm:

I am enjoying my Gravis even if they are getting tabled even in a win lol

• 2 weeks later...

My third game of 10th tonight. Another Crusade game 1000 points. Last of the 1Ks before I jump to a 1500 point list next game.

Took on a Slaanesh Demon army tonight. I believe his centerpiece was a demon called Clepsyrian (?) big spear and whip monster sized model accompanied by two chariots, two cavalry units, and a flying character that was a lone operator. 

I had my Gravis Captain and Scientist with my 6 Aggressors, two 3 man Eradicators, three 3 man Inceptors, and 5 Heavy Intercessors. 

I kept a unit of Inceptors in Deep Strike and went first after deployment. I ignored my right flank anchoring the middle with my Heavy Intercessors. He deployed  balanced cavalry, chariot, IC, chariot, Clepsyrian, cavalry. 

With all the speed he had and that monsterous demon ready to collapse my left I took a gamble and went into the assault doctrine. shoved my Aggressor squad at his Cavalry on my far left with hopes of killing them and using them as a speed bump for my shooty units to take down Clepsyrian.

As it turns out Aggressors are really good at killing demons. I had good rolls T1 choosing the assault doctrine I was able to cross the board and charge his cavalry to death. Heavy Intercessors took out about half the other cavalry on my right flank but he still owned the midboard after Turn 1. 

Turn Two I put myself in the Tactical Doctrine. Clepsyrian had killed my Captain and Scientist in the first turn but Oath of Moment with 5 Aggressors 3 Inceptors and 3 Eradicators were just enough to kill the big beastie by end of the fight phase. Meanwhile my deep striking Inceptors took out the Lone Operator and my Heavy Intercessors started work on one of the Chariots. 

By the end of Turn Three I had shot up one of the chariots, Leaving him with a wounded chariot and half a unit of cavalry.  Mission cards for both of us had been okay not great so most points were scored off Objectives. Turn 4 saw his army tabled and we shook hands both learning things. 

Lessons Learned: I made a mistake Turn One with Oath of moment. I chose the Cavalry I was engaging when I should have chosen the fast moving demon prince that was  going to hit my Aggressors in the bottom of Turn Two. I was able to make up for it by saving enough CP to use Counter Attack and get the Big Demon below 8 wounds but I cant count on an opponent allowing that mistake in the future. Still awesome stratagem. Its in the Main rulebook and I was surprised later when my opponent told me he hadn't been aware of it.

Next a jump to 1500

Due to points the Biologis will be gone from the list. The Shadow Council has ordered an examination of the demon material in the last mission. Inquisitor Draco’s has loaned the scientist equipment capable of temporarily keeping the warp body stable enough for investigation. 

Edited by Dracos
Narrative

• 1 month later...

So … my first full blown 2k game of 10e last night was against a Tyranid list. Learned a few interesting things but really it was just good to roll dice and get use to a bigger game of the new edition while I try to gather up an interest to do some hobbying into a actually competitive list. 

I took Shrike a Combi-Lt. an Gravis Captain in Ghostweave Cloak and a Judiciar to lead a couple Bladeguard and Aggressor units. MiniMaxing 3 each of Lasfusil Eliminators, Eradictors, and Inceptors. 

My opponent roughly had 20x 4(?) Termagants, 3 Screamers(?), a Flying Hive Tyrant, Neurothrope, couple deep striking winged characters  two Tyranid Warrior units and some big mother bug that could birth new Termagants. 

I groaned when I saw deployment was Hammer and Anvil. Mostly a Gravis army and Tyranid got first turn. Turns out though it helps to usually plan on going second. Deployment was were I made my first mistake though. There was no point in infiltrating a unit of Eliminators when the opposing army doesn’t have any other than to get them shot off the board first turn. 

Sidenote: -1 to be hit is a really nice defensive buff against Termagants. Just as good is automatically having cover on the open when deploying. 

With the Judiciar riding herd on a unit of Bladeguard my opponent decided to fight around them. I feel that was a mistake and he should have fed a unit of Termagants into them because it basically gave me an Objective for free except for some lackluster shooting to chip damage them. I eventually sent them to take out the Neurothrope but that was at games end. The second Bladeguard unit floundered about until it finally struck down a Screamer that had taken revenge on a unit of Eradicators. His two brothers had died to Lasfusil and Melta firepower earlier in the game. 

I was able to get the two Aggressor units to target a couple large Termagant and Tyranid Warrior units. it really was pretty ugly. I was able to move into just the proper ranges to take down most of the bugs big and small with enough firepower to make his charges really tough. 

The Inceptors were great to counter his flying characters that came down in my backfield and pick up more points for Assassinate. 

Shrike, my Gravis Captain and Combi-Lt. played action monkeys to score Teleport Homers or help hold Objectives. 

Lessons:

Blade Driven Deep isn’t really kind of thing that’s for killing, especially with Judiciar leading then unit. This a great combo for taking center objective and curious to try it out on other deployment/missions without a center objectives. It made for a nice pivot point that is going to work different with only four Objectives. 

I hadn’t anticipated using three Eradicators at first but having one in the middle to pivot left or right to add firepower to the ones on the flank was game changing with those Screamers and Hive Tyrants advancing up the field. I was lucky he had decided to keep one Screamer in reserve. Otherwise he could have hit me hard by overloading on one flank. 

I find this a somewhat common mistake by non-competitive minded opponents. The idea of focusing your game plan on not challenging for two of the objectives and putting all your efforts into holding three or holding two and denying one instead of “What can I kill?” is easy mistake to make once game gets going. 

This was a fun list and I’ll definitely lose the second Bladeguard and third Eliminator unit. I really want to get 2 units of new Scouts and my Terminators into this list.