The Judgment on Kadeth - Dr. Ruminahui's Emperor's Children

Loving your Proteus. It’s such a rad model. I hope FW makes it available again soon. 

I like how you made the headlights on the Rhino work with the trim kit.

I didn’t realize that the combi bolter kit is so small. I agree, it looks a little off next to the stock lintel mounted combi bolter.

Play the Hellbrute! You made a rad addition to it. It’d be a shame to not field it after getting it done. 

That's a chonky boy!

It is indeed - I call it my "Heavy Tank" because being resin it's easily the heaviest model I own. :)

Loving your Proteus. It’s such a rad model. I hope FW makes it available again soon. 

I like how you made the headlights on the Rhino work with the trim kit.

I didn’t realize that the combi bolter kit is so small. I agree, it looks a little off next to the stock lintel mounted combi bolter.

Play the Hellbrute! You made a rad addition to it. It’d be a shame to not field it after getting it done. 

Thanks!  Its one of my favourite models too - I didn't realize it isn't available anymore (bought mine 2 years ago).

About the Hellbrute - good news, the FW Legends FAQ has been amended (or I missed it the first time) to allow emperor's children to take double blastmasters + a doom siren.  Even if they hadn't, I probably would have fielded them as lascannons - this does mean that I will convert up a second for the hellbrute that's in my painting queue.  

Finished my proteus - here are some pictures:

R2BW8jF.jpg

aoH8NJE.jpg

S3EVZ0A.jpg

jxoGTFP.jpg

JC25oWK.jpg

I1MqdQh.jpg

I had finished on the weekend I had thought, but then I decided to add the trophy racks, as giving it a dark angels trophy gives us a bonus in the painting event that is going on in the WIP forum ( It's the head from the chapter master from the dark vengence box - his body is being converted into a lord or executioner.

My wife also looked at it as we were headed to bed on Sunday, and said it looked "flat".  Standing back and looking at it, I had to agree with her -  

my original highlight colour for the hull was too close to the base colour and wasn't visible from more than a foot away.  So I redid all my hull highlighting - only took about 4 hours. :sweat:

Very pleased with how it turned out, but am very glad to be done.

Thanks Warriorfish!

Since I used the head for the my landraider, I've converted up the dark angels figure it comes from to be a master of executions or a lord with combiplasma and power sword/fist.  Its the base figure with the dark angels details carved off, and a new backpack, head and sword.

GP4zyzK.jpg

First time I've ever tried carving plasticard - turned out pretty well, but maybe I should shorten it.

Here's a closer shot of the head - I think its a spare head for the dark vengeance hellbrute - hadn't realised it existed until I started this conversion.

Oy2K37H.jpg

Its basically a demon head that I have given a top knot to give it a bit of humanity.

iBYrTqf.jpg

And here is a a slanneshi symbol on the back to hide where I've carved off some of the dark angels details.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished my rhino/predator - at least in the quad-lascannon version.  Pretty happy with it.

u17zYFO.jpg

NvlGyPC.jpg

In addition to the new bits (turret, sponsons) I went pack and did a bit of a reikland fleshshade on the gold trim to give it a bit more definition and make it a little less yellow.  I think it helps.

Think I'll do  next the bits to make the autocannon + 2x HB version.

Thanks, AoD, I'm glad you like them.  Purple and gold do go nicely together, so I'm happy I decided to paint my army that colours.

To be honest, I chose emperor's children after I chose the colours, rather than before - I wanted a purple chaos army, and it was either emperor's children or soul drinkers, and there is no way I'm doing soul drinkers as they have to be the dumbest marines out there (they thought their chapter master growing spider legs was a sign the emperor loved them).

Yeah, glad you appreciate it. And I saw your predator now too. I've never seen a predator completely purple. Emperors children tanks are usualy black with pink decals. But it looks great, and the reason i posted was because I'm a slaanesh player myself :) DE/Chaos only. So it's fun when someone reps slaanesh ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Predators looking good chief. What you got planned for us next??

Yeah, glad you appreciate it. And I saw your predator now too. I've never seen a predator completely purple. Emperors children tanks are usualy black with pink decals. But it looks great, and the reason i posted was because I'm a slaanesh player myself :smile.: DE/Chaos only. So it's fun when someone reps slaanesh :wink:

Fancy taking a looksie at my stuff and letting me know what you think? http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/340111-the-hellbound-stds-slaanesh-chaos-marines/

@Dr Ruminahuis, sorry for hijacking your thread, trying as hard as I can to stay motivated with my army and hopefully some c&c may give me the nudge to get off my arse and do something instead of procrastinating for best part of a year. 

No problem, Slave of Darkness - I posted over there and hopefully it was encouraging. :)  Glad you like the tank.

FInished doing up all the bits/options I made for it - here are some pictures.

First, the dakka pred:

AmrQZP5.jpg

LGNqb07.jpg

Then of the rhino, both with and without havoc launcher:

CG3a3oN.jpg

fYBoWBh.jpg

vpb8xqR.jpg

And finally, all the bits laid out together.

J9rCFgb.jpg

Not sure what I will paint next - maybe some terrain.

• 3 months later...

Haven't been painting much (with no gaming due to Covid, that removes some of my motivation) and what I have been painting is pretty much all terrain.

That said, I bought myself a little something when I was at the shop today picking up paints - its on top of what I'm currently painting.

Oy1HbhN.jpg

Working out how to magnetize the weapon options before I finish putting it together - then its probably my next CSM model to paint.

Finished my power conduits (you can see them here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/350264-show-your-finished-kill-team-terrain/?p=5692564), so that means it is demon goose time (it will be downgraded to heck turkey if it doesn't perform on the table).

I intend to paint it in components and assemble them - I covered the connection points with blue-tac to keep them primer free when I sprayed.

ze7yqTZ.jpg

I have magnetized the two mouth weapons - here they both are (pre priming):

9Ddq4bH.jpg

iqNmHCE.jpg

Wasn't too tough to do, but you have to use the mouth piece for the cannon as the other one has fleshy strings that don't take well to having the weapon cut out.

Got a fair bit done on my heck turkey over the weekend - finished painting the torso.

Here are some pictures:

sldvZly.jpg

Here is the back half painted - you can see on the left how I did the gold trim over the whole of the model - its spray painted in Retributor Armour then dry brushed with Golden Griffon, which is kind of paste and hard to do in a controlled manner, hence the whole model being the trim colour.  I then did my armour colour between the trim.  After finishing the armour, I touched up any bits of trim I painted over and then gave the trim a final wash in Reikland Fleshshade.

uhcIIXs.jpg

This one is of the finished torso, along side the arm which has been drybrushed, and the wing which has noit (and is just plain retributor armour).  It also shows (but is harder to make out) how the joining point for the wing and armour are bare plastic, to better allow gluing them later.

pGHthqy.jpg

Now here is part of it people will rarely see, but I think looks cool so I'm sharing it.  Some thoughts:

1.  I considered putting a glow effect around the holes, but am not sure how it will look with doing it with a drybrush of yellow or white.  What are your thoughts?

2.  I'm not sure whether to highlight the "panes" of armour between the trim - I tried it in a small corner of a wing and it didn[t really add anything to the model for me, but it might look different if carried across the entire model.  Thoughts?

3.  Finally, do you think I should "dirty up" the thrusters with a drybrush of gold and black?  Normally I would do so, but I trying to decide whether I like the clean look better.  What do you guys think?

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Nice work, I was wondering how you were getting along a few days ago - making good progress :thumbsup: In answer to your questions:

1. I think they look great already, I'm not sure if a glow effect would add a great deal. I don't recall you having done this on other models, so consistency is another consideration?
  2. I'm in agreement that I doubt it'll make much of a difference. It'll be a lot more work too, I'd say finish the model up then look at the finished article and decide if it might help :thumbsup:
  3. There's not much room to work with, a bit of dusting and a wash maybe? I'd do the same as above - finish the model without and see how it looks :smile.:

Looking good Ruminahui!

My feedback largely echoes Warriors Fish's:

1. No OSL glow is needed around the vents. They look superb already, and yellow or white might look busy against the purple.

2. Pane highlights aren't needed. It will look great as is.

3. A nice wash is really all you need for the thrusters.

Thanks for the advice, Warrior Fish and Tallarn Commander - as per your comments, I'll otherwise finish the model before contemplating any of those 2 changes.

As for the glow, Warrior Fish, while none of my other models have it, it would be something I could easily add to them if I liked the effect.  That said, I'll likely not do it as I can't picture in my head how to make it look good - white and yellow glow effects are really tough to get them to look right.

BTW, WF how is your crab tank coming along?  I'm looking forward to seeing what more you've done.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

If you can't imagine it that sounds like a good reason to park the idea to me :tu: When you can it'll be worth looking into again but I'd wager you'll find the finished model more than good enough without trying something you're unsure of :)

The Crabshrimp is sadly still waiting the first attack of the wash, time and energy for hobby is a bit short currently unfortunately :( Luckily I can live out my hobby dreams virtually on other people's projects in the meantime to keep myself entertained :P I should get some done at some point this week but not sure when yet, I'll update my WIP topic with worthwhile updates as always :)

Painted one wing, pretty happy with it.

QCkYG6v.jpg

Here is a close up of the arm and claw.

kfIEycK.jpg

I had unfortunately glued origionally glued on the claw in such a fashion as to prevent my being able to glue the wing to the arm.  Fortunately, I was able to get a nice, clean and thin cut with my knife so was able to reposition it slightly without too much bother.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

You may be collecting the wrong army :P With CSM trims follow you home and live under your bed. Haunt your dreams. In time you will learn to love the trim... Plus while it might add more work it always looks good at the end ;)

The more I see the more sold I am on wanting to get one. I will do my utmost to be good and refrain :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my heck turkey - I'm pretty pleases with it, though I wasn't really sold on the model before, I've come around to it over the course of painting it.

Still have to do the base, but that can wait until I decide on how to spruce it up a bit.

ZfREvg3.jpg

Here's some pics of the two weapon options:

kjUkQOK.jpg

in1Ry1g.jpg

A3GbnRb.jpg

The picture above shows some of the things I'm not so sold on aobut the model - namely its stubby tail and its funny little rear legs.  Still, it gives a good view on the wings - if I do another, I think I will give it wider stripes and carry them back onto the rear wings as well.

LAxSmNL.jpg

Finally, a "danger view" photo.

Great work Rumi! The model really came together with the gold and purple. I see what you mean about the tail, maybe if it were a longer tail that had some dynamism to it? It's not too bad at least. What's next on your list? :)

I am fully sold on the model now so I am definitely getting one it is only a question of when :laugh.: Maybe I'll call it the Skyshrimp :tongue.: