The Judgment on Kadeth - Dr. Ruminahui's Emperor's Children

Was the tongue attached at the bottom of the maw bit?

Wondering if you could put a pin into the tongue to act as almost a prop against the inside back of the Helbrute? Then you can reattach it to the maw if that's how it's done before. Whack some superglue on the end of the pin/prop before it goes in. Might just add a little stability to it.

It's a cool conversion and I like the greensstuff work to mask the ball and socket join and make it feel more cohesive.

Might be a bit fiddly, but perhaps the simplest solution is the best? If you attach bits of sprue inside for it to glue on to (or on the base of the tongue itself) you should be able to insert it back in and have it glue on to something. Some GS could help ensure a connection but as noted I'm not that familiar with the model so I don't know how the inside of the torso looks.

Thanks Elizar - yeah, I thought it needed something to meld the join of the tentacles and the body, as otherwise it looked too artificial.   I'm happy how its turned out, though the real test will be what it looks like once painted.

And thanks Elizar, WF for the suggestions - I think I'll likely try a combo of the two approaches, if I can refind the tongue.  And yes, it will be very fiddly - it very difficult to manipulate things that you can't see through the tiny mouth opening.  Likely I won't be able to get it to work, but its worth a try as I feel that the model does look better with the tongue.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Okay, tried it out after getting home after work today.  Couldn't find the original tongue, so used the left-over tail spike from my Fiends.

Guesstimated the appropriate length of sprue, clipped it out, then drilled a hole for the tongue.

MvUZcHz.jpg

Here's the parts glued together (had to trim the tongue slightly to get it to fit the hole).

owK9vV8.jpg

After letting the glue on the pieces set, I put greenstuff on both ends of the sprue and tried to put it in place.  Allowing the glue to set let me use the tongue as a handle, which was very helpful.  Wouldn't fit with greenstuff on the tongue end of the sprue, so took that blob off and put plastic glue on it instead.  I then got it wedged into place fairly easily - here's what it now looks like.

dd0VckQ.jpg

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Wow that looks great!

Edit: since that's not necessarily the most constructive comment, I'll say that the back (middle) section looks a bit empty - how would you feel about a back banner hanging rearwards, or volutes of smoke/hallucinogenic gas belched out by the smoke stacks?

Wow that looks great!

Edit: since that's not necessarily the most constructive comment, I'll say that the back (middle) section looks a bit empty - how would you feel about a back banner hanging rearwards, or volutes of smoke/hallucinogenic gas belched out by the smoke stacks?

Thanks!

Do you mean on the top, between the horns and the smokestacks?  If so, I think it will be okay when painted - with my other converted hellbrute (my cyclops-gorilla twin fist brute) it doesn't look out of place - http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5053619

A place that is kind of detail-less is the flat spot on the sides between the tentacles and the back - on my cypclops-gorilla I put some fur there, but on this one the tentacles are so large and detailed I think the flat sides wouldn't be too noticeable.  Besides, not sure what I would put there for the squid-naught.

Looking forward to getting this guy painted - if it ever stops raining so that I can slap some primer on it.

Nice work, good use of a spare Fiend tail too to give it that extra :thumbsup:

Thanks WF!

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody want a hug? :P  Finished my squid-brute and am pretty happy with him.

IMta8Tq.jpg

Here's my entire hellbrute "family" (I include the oblits because they look like mini-hellbrutes).

4w2E6Ov.jpg

Double post - Warrior Fish was asking for full army pics a while back, to which my excuse was that the army was not fully based.

Well, after buckling down and getting the last 30 or so models done, I no longer have that excuse.  I also took the opportunity to repaint some of the banners that I wasn't happy with (to be honest, they were just painted purple as "place holders").  So here are some full army shots:

ILCcfPt.jpg

uDRi9qD.jpg

Focus on the cultists:

V73MkBL.jpg

And the raptors:

j4zlW7X.jpg

And the noise marines and my (melee) chosen:

dzkJpgs.jpg

And my bikes:

Ey2o1AN.jpg

And finally my characters:

QnB9MCa.jpg

L->R jump lord, jump sorcerer, staff sorcerer, sword/PP sorcerer, dark apostle

niGxbsZ.jpg

Demon prince

EM9CzVS.jpg

L-> termie sorcerer, termie lord, dark apostle and disciples

After I had put everything away, I realized I missed part of my army - two chaos spawn.

W02ZrNI.jpg

Here is the army put away in my cave, the two MIA spawn are on the top shelf.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Wow! What a nice collection. Congratulations on a job well done.

My favorites are your Helbrute with the 2 Maulerfiend Fists and your blender Helbrute with the 6 Lasher Tendrils.

Someday I'll buy a Maulerfiend, use the body for a Disco Lord kitbash, and then I'll magnetize its fists and tendrils for use on my Helbrutes.

Have you had a chance to use your melee Chosen in, well, melee. If so, how have they performed?

Thanks!  Yeah, those are 2 of my favourites as well.

I've only gotten the chosen into combat once with enough bodies to call it a real go, and even they they didn't really do anything.  I've stopped putting them in my lists once I could field 2000 points without them.  That said, my most common opponents are so shooty that nothing makes it into melee with them (necrons) or bury me under attacks (orks), meaning that the chosen are usually just a huge point sink.

Part of the reason I don't like fielding them is that they are just the dark vengeance marines with some conversions - which means that they have some of each kind of power weapon.  This makes figuring out who to kill when they take casualties a chore, and an even bigger chore once they get stuck in trying to figure out how many attacks there are with each weapon.  If I were ever to make a serious assault unit, I would make sure they only have 1 or 2 different melee weapons (or maybe 3 including the sergeant).

Looking forward to seeing your disco lord and brute conversions when they are done. :smile.:

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Yes, I sometimes use powerfist Chosen. They also usually get blown out of their Rhino and die before getting to the enemy (or tgey fail their charge). But when they actually do reach the enemy they are fun.

I'll probably kitbash up the 2 Lords Discordant next year using a Maulerfiend, a GW Chaos Manticore, and Artel's Nepharya model.

Speaking of chosen and power weapons, I heard a rumor power swords are getting +1S (think it was with the 3W terminator stuff), if that is true I'm sure it will shake up the other power weapons as well. It makes me hesitant to build anything right now not knowing what will be what in a month or two.

P.s. I'm digging the entire army shot! Looks good. Slaanesh would be pleased.

Thanks!

Yeah, I'm going to be working on my daemons for the next while, so as to get them up to 2000 points.  So no changes to the Children for the near future - except maybe to paint up the landraider proteus I built in preparation for the ETL that never was, and maybe a helldrake (which I would have to also buy).  This isn't so much because I'm waiting for the new codex as that at this point I'm not sure what I would want to add to the army.

Not queued up, but I do have some stuff primed, in addition to the above mentioned landraider - I have 15 cultists, but am holding off on them because I need the white primed minis for minions for my 4th ed Zoom-ed D&D campaign. :smile.:  And I guess I also have a Master of Possession primed, but that model isn't great in my list (don't have much synergy) and I don't really need another sorcerer model.

I also have a couple of noise hellbrute conversions I want to make, including one which requires the assembly of the hellbrute (the other is simply making other weapon options for an already magnetized and painted mini).

I then have other assorted stuff (some greater possesseds, various marines, etc) but am reluctant to paint them as I can't really see a place for them in my army at the moment.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I don't care for the master of possessions as a unit, but the model does circles around the new sorcerer model in my opinion, or at least offers some great conversion bits.

The sonic/noise helbrutes get the blast rule with their blastmasters right? And can fire the doom siren in combat now? Seems like a good time to be a EC helbrute!

Do you have any other CSM Legions you collect?

The Master of Possession model is sweet, but I already have 3 sorcerer models I like (and another I can live with) so its not really something I feel I need to paint... rather, I'll paint it when it something I want to paint (probably when I want to try out doing flames).

Yes, on both counts blastmasters get blast and they can fire their doomsiren into combat.  Though, truthfully, I think you are better putting those on different units, as blastmasters are long range support and can't fire into combat - better to have it somewhere safe-ish with a missile launcher to focus on anti-vehicle than try to do all the things.

That said, any brute you'd want to put a heavy flamer on, a doomsiren is better instead (or as well as) - same stats as a heavy flamer except it is assault (rather than heavy) and is 2/3 the price.

As for other CSM, I have an astral claws killteam (so, 4 models) but that doesn't really count.  I've never really understood the desire to paint "different colours of marines" (or guard, or nids, or whatever) - so, when I do feel like something new, I'll go for a different army to try out a different aesthetic and rules rather than try variations of the same thing.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui