Downloads: An Alternative to the Librarium

Brother Tyler

And since you brought up your Inferno Wardens article, Ioldanach, do you plan on using the templates for a downloadable version using the section and header images that we can see in the discussion you linked? Hint hint hint :yes:

I'm already on it. :cool.:

I'm having to make some adjustments to get it to look right (i.e., filling lines, no wasted space). It should be ready for uploading by the time you give us the green light.

The Inferno Wardens Index Astartes article is ready for uploading whenever you give the green light.

I've had my own version of the Avenging Lions (Badab War format) article for a long time, but I might make some updates and transfer it over to your template.

:cool.:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded a new version of the templates.

I've created a preliminary template for the Index Astartes article based on the Crimson Fists Index Astartes article that appeared in January 2019 issue of White Dwarf magazine. The original Index Astartes template remains and has been re-named "Index Astartes 3rd edition template" while the new template is "Index Astartes 8th edition template" for clarity. I'll probably update the new template once I find better fonts; and I may create a bank of faction icons since the Crimson Fists article replaces the aquila (found on the 3rd edition template) with the faction icon of Codex: Space Marines.

Note that the new (8th edition) template also includes pages for rules (i.e., abilities/Chapter Tactics, warlord traits, stratagems, and Chapter relics).

If you see any mistakes, have any problems, or have ideas for improvement, feel free to post here.

That's very helpful. Thanks! I have articles for two of my chapters, the Avenging Lions and Inferno Wardens, "done" for the previous editions, but I'm thinking about updating them for 8th edition and the new template is a god-send.

I might also use it for an Index Xenos article about the Anhrathe.:cool.:

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Bro Tyler!

I'm working on updating some of my older IAs into a PDF format and offering them up for the Downloads. I wasn't sure if I needed to inform you anywhere but I've started with my Emperor's Blade and submitted the IA to the Background section, please let me know if there are any problems with the file/upload?

Thanks as well for the excellent template that it's based on!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I've been working on an update for the templates, building a 9th edition Index Astartes article template. With the increasing use of codex supplements, I'm building in a complete codex supplement template as part of the 9th edition Index Astartes article format. Right now it includes the following sections:

• Index Astartes article (I'm making generic headers for sections since the Emperor's Spears article doesn't use any of the headings we saw in the 3rd edition articles)
  • Relics (6 templated relics, you can increase/decrease as necessary)
  • Warlord Traits (6 templated warlord traits, you can decrease to 3 as necessary)
  • Stratagems (2 Battle Tactic stratagems and 1 of each of the other types, you can increase/decrease as necessary)
  • Psychic Discipline (6 templated psychic powers, you can decrease to 3 as necessary)
  • Litanies (6 templated litanies plus a default litany, you can decrease to 3 as necessary)
  • Agendas (6 templated agendas, you can increase/decrease as necessary)
  • Requisitions (6 templated requisitions, you can increase/decrease as necessary)
  • Battle Traits (4 tables with 6 traits each, you can decrease each table to 3 as necessary and increase/decrease tables as necessary)
  • Honorifics (6 templated honorifics, you can increase/decrease as necessary)
  • Crusade Relics (6 templated relics, you can increase/decrease as necessary)
  • Unique Units (5 datasheets with a table for point values, see below)
With regard to the datasheets, I've made them look as much like the real deal as possible, including the lore/image/FOC icon. I've created the FOC icons for the 5 main types (HQ, Elites, Troops, Fast Attack, Heavy Support). All five are present, but they're stacked on top of each other. The intent is that you'll delete any that you don't need, leaving only the appropriate icon (also reducing file size). The tables are a bit tricky in that you have to delete cells that aren't needed, but you have to delete them the right way so that you don't screw up formatting. I'll probably include a graphic guide.

Are there any sections that need to be added to this? I don't have any of the 9th edition codex supplements yet, but I know that they have their own Crusade stuff to represent their peculiar natures, so it seems reasonable that players might do the same for their DIYs.

If you're interested, you can see an example of how this might be used if you look at the 9th edition update for my Exorcists rules (in the Warhammer 40,000 sub-category of the Game Systems category in our Downloads). It doesn't include any of the Crusade rules because I stopped my development once I heard about the upcoming Index: Exorcists yesterday).

As always, though things on the template are phrased for the Adeptus Astartes, this format can be modified for DIYs of any (sub-)faction.

I've updated the file to include the template for the 9th edition Index Astartes article. This template includes codex supplement (with psychic discipline peculiar to your DIY, litanies peculiar to your DIY, and datasheets peculiar to your DIY) as well as Crusade rules for your DIY.

The 9th edition template is read only because the formatting can get a bit finicky, especially on the datasheets. This way you can save it under another name and, if things go pear-shaped, you still have the read only template to fix things. I'll probably build a guide to editing it and add that to the file later. In the meantime, be careful.

One note I'll give right now for editing - I've created shields with the force organization chart icons that GW uses (HQ, Elites, Troops, Fast Attack, and Heavy Support only - no Dedicated Transports, Flyers, Lords of War, Fortifications, etc.). The HQ is on top. The concept is that you'll delete all of the icons you don't need in order to keep file size low (if you get to the one you need, move it to the bottom and then delete the others, leaving only the one you need).

You can download it here.

If you'd like to see something close to the 9th edition template, see my homegrown Exorcists rules here. I've edited that heavily to use the Exorcists colors and imagery, and some of the fonts I've used in that version are closer to those used in the codices (but the EULA for those fonts won't allow me to share them, so they'll screw up your formatting). That's an example of how you might adjust things to match the DIY that you're creating (and even to change the name of the article and what-not).

• 1 year later...

Just to let you know, the file appears to be corrupted. I've tried downloading it multiple times, but alas, to no avail! Any chance we can get a version that works please? Thank you Brother Tyler. 

Ave Imperator!

• 2 months later...

These templates are massively helpful, I have made use of the old IA style one previously :smile: I was wondering if there are any plans to do anything in the format of the current Kill Team rules & supplement books? Thank you! :smile:

Both of those would be great and I'd love to get to them ... one day. I have a bunch of much more important things going on right now, though, so I wouldn't be able to get to them soon. The Kill Team documents have often been taken care of by other members such as Ioldanach, so you might contact him to see if he has plans for that.