Cornelivs Maximvs Renegades - Bane of Genestealers

GreenScorpion

Apparently what I thought was the date for the delivery for the vehicles order replacement was actually the date for the blackstone fortress box, the replacement only on Friday apparently.

@Excessus: I will be happy if just one arrives, either replacement or original.

First feeling of getting the box from the blackstone fortress is that it is heavy, the pieces for the board are the apparent reason.

2 red sprues for explorers, 3 grey sprues for enemies (1 small for the chaos lord and 2 equal sprues for the other miniatures). Nothing seems to need glue including bases.

All the chaotic infantry seems to have "chaos" and "servants of the abyss" as faction keywords.

Basically your army can take only the amount you have in the box.

They also share the servants of the abyss ability which seems to state you have to deploy all of the chaos units at the same time and within 6'' of the chaos lord.

The models seem amazing, will likely build them over the weekend.

I have built the explorers, chaos lord and 1 of the big grey sprues without gluing.

As had been stated before in the rumours thread it seems some of the traitor guardsmen are slimmer and the facial traits seem softer so they might be guardswomen not that it matters in what relates to pushing them to the front :wink:

Note: The models have lots of fragile parts which could get damaged when removing from sprue or pushing the parts into place, handle with care.

veQa8s4.jpg

OF47Fsz.jpg

uDbuQsW.jpg

ZH4ONWH.jpg

VX0PHyp.jpg

KD9AdyS.jpg

My vehicles order finally arrived (the replacement, the original remains in the warp, a sacrifice in the name of Chaos) : a leman russ, a chimera and a taurox are ready to be assembled after the holidays. Also some more infantry to make command squads and possibly some "commandos" based on the militarum tempestus.

Weather hasn't been good for painting lately so I decided to focuse on my terrain for now.

You might have seen the wip fortress I am building for my renegades as background in some photos. Here is the current status:

q7IEX70.jpg

The objective is to have a medieval-like fortress with one central tower, 4 corner towers and one gate (I am thinking about having a functional gate).

It is made almost exclusively from used matches and I although I had started it some years ago for another purpose in my past iteration on the hobby, now it is part of the terrain my renegades will use when defending their colony (I have been adding more fluff to the first post in case you want to know more).

When I finish the construction of the fortress my plans are to paint it and add some decorations/trophies.

After this gets finished I will likely make some smaller buildings like bunkers, houses and so on.

• 4 weeks later...

Went home for the holidays so no progress on the growing army (except looking for more stuff to do some more terrain and probably some post-apocalyptic looking vehicles) so I focused on continuing writing the fluff for my army. Here is the latest part focused on the story behind Septimus the psyker. If you need context look into the text on the first post of this thread :smile.:

Some parts intercept with some fluff I had written in the past for some space marines and info about the one pulling the strings will be revealed gradually (fluff had been thought of a few years back for Cornelivs warriors but I never had written it down).

Edited by GreenScorpion

Spent part of the holidays searching for possible additions to my army within the unused stuff at my family's home.

Found some artillery which seems to have an adequate scale (Septimus posed for reference), thinking about using some parts from Anvil to make the gunners for it

qgDHlh5.jpg

Also some vehicles that could be used as something similar to goliaths with some kitbashing (thinking about making some drivers and crewmen)

uR1mkQ7.jpg

zCFnPqE.jpg

Additionally something that could be used as a manticore or something similar (if being towed by a vehicle)

7R6eBNr.jpg

I think I am going to check for some more similarly sized vehicles as well as prepare some heavier artillery with some materials I had laying around.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to get back into the rythm after the holidays, painting has been slow mostly due to the weather but I will likely be posting an update on that soon.

For now here are the first members of my Tempestus based squad:

pfWJtlr.jpg

I have been also been working on my terrain, currently reaching the part where the gate will be placed:

ddLFYcs.jpg

I had some ideas on LED lighting for the fortress, maybe with some flickering and inside flame shaped containers to make some torchs. My family has some materials laying around that I might be able to use but I still have to think about the practical implementation.

I am also considering using some air drying clay for some more terrain pieces (bunkers, trenches, small fortifications, ruins...), anyone has some experience with that?

I've used air-dried clay for small terrain pieces such as dugouts with sandbags. I made a bunch of such pieces back in 2011. Air dried clay works fairly well as smaller terrain pieces.

It's not the strongest stuff and over the years I've had to repair and repaint broken pieces about twice as frequently as I have to repair and repaint foam terrain pieces. But it's cheap, looks good, and gets the job done.

@Kriegsmacht: Thanks, I got a thinner brush for details so I will be adding some more details to the painted minis you saw and post a picture with some more light (once I get a good sunny day to help with providing more background light).

@Tallarn Commander: Thanks for the input :)
I thought about using the clay because I recall having good results in the past while using it in other contexts although maintenance was sometimes needed on those cases.

I recall that I did a volcano for one of the kids that was taken to the school to be there in an exhibit. I remember it had some houses made with matches (my family has a thing for saving matches for building stuff, it started with fences for the sheep for christmas), unfortunately by the time I went to see the exhibit someone had already pushed the roof of the small houses inside and so the volcano surroundings were filled with ruins :|

I have gotten some parts from Anvil and build a test driver/operator for some vehicles I dug up during Christmas.

21beCeI.jpg

C4CaNJ5.jpg

IuPO0uZ.jpg

cjjUnfw.jpg

0tIHB1D.jpg

XtjSmyJ.jpg

The pics are a bit quick and dirty but I think the vehicle scale in comparison with the driver test model is quite adequate so I will try to find other similarly scaled vehicles.

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 2 weeks later...

Some more updates, my terrain is progressing well and I will focus now on the gate tower (space in the front of the fortress) and after that I will make working inside and outside gates as well as a working drawbridge (manually working gates and possibly automated drawbridge). Which will then only leave the corner towers and the merlons on the walls and towers.

1DQ98qI.jpg

Some progress as well on the assembly of some soldiers, here is a tempestus based command squad:

yAjlKA4.jpg

sKqHiEr.jpg

As I have seen suggested around here before I am using a hotshot lasgun as a sniper rifle.

The standard bearer is a bit out of balance and as a tendency to fall backwards so I will add when some counterweight in the base when basing the model.

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates from the front.

First the outer gate is ready, not exactly perfectly but it does work and opens or closes manually.

2FlFaMV.jpg

QNiF8BC.jpg

Made another command squad, this time it was based on the cadian command squad.

A9SKr5O.jpg

s40oOf9.jpg

Also another cadian based squad being built currently

Bzwlsxd.jpg

w63ypo7.jpg

Focus will be now to continue that squad, make the inner gate and, if the weather is still good in the weekend, get some more painting done.

Once I finish both cadian based squads I will likely start with the vehicles (maybe the taurox).

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 3 weeks later...

So more progress from the front.

Outer and inner gates are done and working (not the best concept but it works).

QbMHMmp.jpg

Finished both guardsmen based squads as well as some heavy weapons.

1QqPPpt.jpg

WPQA8gh.jpg

Sth44Xb.jpg

sMLcHz4.jpg

jeF5daO.jpg

RrhJezI.jpg

Yesterday I started with the chimera.

EDIT: I counted the soldiers today (HWT counting as 2) and it seems I am currently around 200 assembled warriors. Not exactly the amount in the fluff I am writting but it is getting closer, specially because I have 170-180 more to build from Anvil's parts (infantry squads and HWT/Artillery crew).

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 2 weeks later...

Likely won't be posting updates on the minis for some months.

I will be moving into a new city due to a job proposition and I likely I won't have the space to take them with me :sad.: (rent is very expensive and until I buy a house of my own, rent is the only option so the rental will likely have to be a small apartment).

On the positive side, I was able to finish assembling my chimera but packed the minis before I had the chance to take a picture of the final result.

If things go well I might have an entire room for the hobby by next year, fingers crossed.

Edited by GreenScorpion

• 3 months later...

Anyone in need of the services of a Software Developer/Certified Scrum Master?

Well it was worth the shot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The housing situation is still not solved and it seems there is no end in sight, might have to move to another country to get a decent house :|

That means no advancement on the models :(

Still, I had the money available, since I can get a house and decided to get some of the IG apocalypse boxes, so 6 leman russes, 2 chimeras and so on, will go into my storage for assembly later on.

To round the price, I ended up getting some gors as well to make some beastmen conversions to go with my blackstone fortress beastmen.

Now I just need a place to build them. Fingers crossed.