Dawn of Shadows ETL Prep Event 2019 (2/14 thru 4/15)

Dracos

Ok....so in my tired state yesterday I misread the rules of the Dawn of Shadows. It thought of it as a Mini ETL and went small. After waking up a bit and rereading the rules I realized I could do more to make an epic failure in the ETL this year :yes:

so I am updating my vow and Ill get some pics tomorrow or something like that.....:wink:

That's the spirit! I plan on getting my two dreads ready and then if I have time trying to get something else ready. I've got a bunch of tacticals already primed so I don't want to use those because I feel like that would be cheating.

I reread the rules and am not clear: are we only limited to one vow or can we make multiple vows? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew so I think the dreads are doable, but I've also got some characters that I might vow after the dreads are done.

Yes absolutely multiple Vows are expected and hoped for.

I'll post pics tomorrow, my first Vow to DoS will be prepping my 10 Warhawk Aggressors (5 x2) conversions. I need to get this done so I stick with a decision on staying with a specific color scheme to symbolize the Warhawk's  . . . (Shadow Council?)

Vow 2

I, thewarriorhunter, vow to complete a [mixed] Primaris Combat Squad. These marines have completed their training and been initiated into the brotherhood of the Raven Guard successor chapter who call themselves the Spectral Sicarii. These brothers will join their units and bring glory to their chapter as they purge all who stand against them.

Hidden Content

So this is a mixed combat squad because I have three intercessors and two reivers already done for my kill team. I am going to build/prime two intercessors and three reivers to bring my kill team models up to combat squad strength. I'm hoping this vow will be allowed on a technicality since it is still a minimum strength squad. 

Gl9YNo5h.jpg

I already have some carbines, and I usually got them stuck in CC quickly - they need to get close for grenades, and survive by being locked in CC with something. Then the carbine becomes useless.

With enough options to do a few bolter shots better, I'll try drowning the target in CC attacks instead. Works out well for forward objective cappers - my usual forward intercessors often got into a fistfight with other objective campers (tau ghosts, dark eldar warriors, guardsmen, poxwalker,...) and usually got the upper hand by having twice the attacks and wounds of regular marines, so people tend to underestimate them. So why not increase the number of attacks to three times a regular tac, even if they now look more capable because rule of cool.

Vow 3

I, thewarriorhunter, vow to complete a Primaris Hellblaster Combat Squad. These marines have completed their training and been initiated into the brotherhood of the Raven Guard successor chapter who call themselves the Spectral Sicarii. These warriors will center their enemies in their sites and dispense their wrath and fury upon them.

Hidden Content

Most of the unit was off sprue but not cleaned up. I'll release their brother and get everything cleaned up.

WM1CxHKh.jpg

Also so it's clear I am making a fresh batch of bases for everything I'm vowing so I don't compromise ETL rules. I've got 10 32s and four 40s cut and currently drying.

zmYTHgSh.jpg

Also, MajorNese - what's on your reivers covering their mold lines? Did you scrape off too deep? Some type of plastic glue/acid to smooth them out?

Also, MajorNese - what's on your reivers covering their mold lines? Did you scrape off too deep? Some type of plastic glue/acid to smooth them out?

Nah, got the reivers from a friend who basecoated the sprues in blue, so cleaning mold lines goes down to the bare plastic. I'll probably remove the current basecoat with alcohol, as it's rather uneven in places.

Projects that are already underway and need to be finished count as a vow (with the promise to vow for Raven Guard come (ETL).

Excellent! Thank you for organising this, Inquisitor Dracos. I need to finish my Fallen Angel contingent to complete my vow to Captain Semper, or else I'll have to paint Dark Angels for the ETL.

I, longjohnsilver, vow to finish painting a duplicitous renegade warband of Fallen Angels and Cypher, by the 15th April, or else paint Dark Angels units for the duration of the ETL.

Contents:

Cypher

Fallen Champion & 4 Fallen Angels - bolters, bolt pistols, close combat weapons, meltagun x3

Fallen Champion & 5 Fallen Angels - bolters, bolt pistols, close combat weapons, meltagun x2, autocannon x1

OnCVSno.jpg

However, as this is a Raven Guard forum I also have to vow at least as many RG successors to keep an eye on the renegades in case they run rampant, causing mayhem in the forum. So this is the 2nd part of the double-chainsworded vow.

I, longjohnsilver, vow to finish painting 2 characters and an assault squad for the glory of the Ravenspire and the Space Crows Chapter by the 15th April.

Contents:

SM captain - jump pack, lightning claw x2

Techmarine - servo arm, boltpistol, poweraxe

Veteran Sgt & 9 Assault marines - jump packs, boltpistol, close combat weapons, combat shield, power sword, eviscerator x2

FQL1Xj1.jpg

Lots of chainswords..

Nice to see you again LJS. As far as DoS go your gold with just needing to finish your Fallen to free you for the ETL. The RG are of course welcome but definitely focus on that Captain's Vow .... we want to see you back home painting for the Ravenspire come May ;)

No pics yet, but this week was a wash as my kids had a week-long break from school and the constant rains would have kept me from priming anyway soooo ...

Next week, I'll have the Stormhawk done and will figure out the mess I promised on the Vindicator.  THAT may either need some extra investment for other parts OR a lot ... a lot of cutting ... I rushed to the vow instead of really thinking about it.

THEN there are other vows to make: infantry or not?  I Mean, I figured out how to make a Xiphon without the investment on the actual model (which also relieves my snowflakiness), but I've got infantry stockpiling and they gotta move.

I Mean, I figured out how to make a Xiphon without the investment on the actual model (which also relieves my snowflakiness), but I've got infantry stockpiling and they gotta move.

^ This ^  I must hear about. I have two from FW and am thinking of turning it into an Airwing ( in hopes we eventuallu get to use Chapter Tactics on vehicles :smile.:)

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Is it possible to switch out/upgrade existing units? Because I intend to run my Raptors as pretty much primaris only - the Rhino would be useless, but a second Repulsor would help a lot.

Also, I'll spontaneously work 2 weeks abroad. Time to paint but not build, so some infantry might get painted before ETL.

Is it possible to switch out/upgrade existing units? Because I intend to run my Raptors as pretty much primaris only - the Rhino would be useless, but a second Repulsor would help a lot.

Also, I'll spontaneously work 2 weeks abroad. Time to paint but not build, so some infantry might get painted before ETL.

It's not my show but I'm of the opinion that if you're vow is increasing in points a swap should be allowed, maybe only one change per event though so it's not abused.