Dawn of Shadows ETL Prep Event 2019 (2/14 thru 4/15)

Dracos

@Johanhgg That sucks, I feel your pain. Did you just ditch them in rage or see if anything was salvagable? No intact head & torso you can stick on undamaged legs?  If nothing else scenic base fodder can be worth hanging onto.

If it makes you feel any better I've spent a couple of hours wrestling with a metal Whirlwind and repairing spindly fragile plastic rails.  I feel I've achieved little.

Egads!

If it helps at all, I decided to spend a few bucks for extra parts to make the Vindicator Destroyer because what I have just doesn't cut it.  And I'm lazy like that.

Sorry to hear that, Johanhgg.

Nice to see you again LJS. As far as DoS go your gold with just needing to finish your Fallen to free you for the ETL. The RG are of course welcome but definitely focus on that Captain's Vow .... we want to see you back home painting for the Ravenspire come May :wink:

Thanks. I just got Thunderhawk Blue which is the highlight colour I need for black armour.

In the meantime here's the first assault marine, which means I'm way behind schedule, but there are a few more on the way. The base texture paint is still drying.

QVih9pX.jpg

ZQoQ08B.jpg

Very nicely done but isn't that going past the ETL starting point or did I miss something?

Also for me... BONUS VOW 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I, thewarriorhunter, shall for the glory and honor of my FLGS paint up the terrain for Kill Team Arena. This BONUS VOW!!!!!!!!!! shall prove my allegiance to the store, procure for me merit and honor, and allow for many glorious battles to take place upon the cursed halls of the Arena.

Hidden Content

I forgot to snap a pick of these on sprue but here is the terrain assembled, glue drying, and spurs/mold lines cleaned up.

ni2adcrh.jpg

Yes that’s indeed going past the point on prep for ETL. On the other hand I always love LJS vibrant green and black color scheme. Can’t ever get over how cool the Chapter badge always looks.

As an aside. Anyone who has completed as Dawn of Shadows vow, please send me a PM with the point value of the DoS vow you have completed and posted a pic of. We are approaching the halfway point of Dawn of Shadows and I’d like to post how we are progressing in our ETL prep projects. :)

Oh yeah, Dracos - you asked about my Xiphon converstion idea earlier?

Well, I think the Nephilim is the most obvious choice for the hull with some tweaks to get the two TLLC in front of the cockpit.  Yet even that model has a relatively high price; still half the cost of the FW model.

For my purposes (and wallet) I am still looking at using the Stormtalon/hawk chassis due to being basically 1/3 the cost of the FW model (if my math is right) :tongue.:

I've waffled on a couple of ideas:

Idea 1

• Get extra weapon pod bits off eBay (or wherever) - glue them to the hardpoints at the nose like a Stormtalon
  • Build the rest as a Stormhawk (except the AC on the wing tips)
  • Use extra Predator LC weapons for the wing tips
  • Use LC front bits in a weapon pod - my thinking was under wing
  • Use the Skyhammer bits in a weapon pod - my thinking was at the front nose
  • Use Stormtalon antennae on the top of hull
  • For under the nose, use the Las-Talon mount and fix some bits to make a sensor pod of sorts

Idea 2

• Build the Stormhawk (except the AC on the wing tips)
  • Use extra Predator LC weapons for the wing tips
  • Use the Skyhammer bits in the weapon pod under wings
  • Use spare LC bits in the Las-Talon mount under the nose.
  • Use Stormtalon antennae on the top of hull

It makes sense in my head and on paper :laugh.:

Clearly Idea 2 is "cheaper" as it does not require purchase of extra missile pods.  Yet both do require spare parts from other sources (which most of us are likely to have laying around).  So this is not an idea for the beginner without a bitz collection.  On the other hand it also does not require a lot of extra "modelling" either.  Either way, it's cheaper than both the Nephilim and actual Xiphon. 

The super downside is that this idea is not as visually impressive as the Nephilim or Xiphon :cry:

Edited by Race Bannon
CODES

BONUS VOW 4 COMPLETE FOR 1,000,000,000,000,002 POINTS IN THE DOS ETL PREP EVENT 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hidden Content

So yeah guys, sorry, but you can just not worry about winning. Arena terrain is primed and ready for paint. I'm going to rattle can the doors and use my airbrush on the rest. I'm going to get the silver I wanted my son to use for his necrons because I think after a wash of nuln oil it'll look great. I'm also going to get a couple inks and try those out since those are the 'thing' right now in a couple of groups I'm in. I'm looking forward to having fun with this and try out some new colors.

LAuEyvsh.jpg

I hate to flood the comp with vows but because of my schedule I can't really commit to anything large, so small ones shall continue to be peppered in.

Vow 5

I, thewarriorhunter, vow to complete a Primaris Ancient and convert and complete a Space Marine Primaris Librarian. These revered leaders shall join the forces of the Spectral Sicarii and lead their forces to victory through guerrilla tactics and subterfuge.

Hidden Content

So yeah... I don't see the need for a gravis captain in my force, he's slow and only has a 12" ranged attack. I'm going to have other HQ options soon since I'm getting Shadowspear and if I want an HQ to sit back for a reroll aura I'd rather use a cheaper option. The Psyker would be good though because I have none of those and this will give me two after I paint up the new libby.

Conversion shouldn't be too difficult. I'm planning on cutting the ammo belt on the boltstorm gauntlet and turning it into a magazine. A few new greenstuff cables going to the hood and clipping off the iron halo and I think it'll be a clear enough conversion.

cdcBScCh.jpg

We originally discussed in another thread a March 15th date but after discussion moved it to April. All vows are welcome right up until that day. Remember its a event to prep for ETL and it might only take some people a single day to prep the Librarian model out of the Shadowspear box they picked up ;)

BONUS VOW 4 COMPLETE FOR 1,000,000,000,000,002 POINTS IN THE DOS ETL PREP EVENT 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yeah guys, sorry, but you can just not worry about winning. Arena terrain is primed and ready for paint. I'm going to rattle can the doors and use my airbrush on the rest. I'm going to get the silver I wanted my son to use for his necrons because I think after a wash of nuln oil it'll look great. I'm also going to get a couple inks and try those out since those are the 'thing' right now in a couple of groups I'm in. I'm looking forward to having fun with this and try out some new colors.

LMAO .... nice try ;)

I, Ambit, vow to prepare:

10 Hellblasters

5 Company Veterans with Jumpacks (converted from Reivers)

1 Sanguinary Priest with Jumpack and Lightning Claws (converted from Primaris Chaplain)

1 Captain Slamguinius (Primaris conversion) https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_Slamguinius

1 Watch Captain with Jump Pack (Primaris conversion)

1 Librarian Dreanought (converted from a Redemptor)

15 Guardsman with Sniper Rifles (converting from a SM Scout)

24 Guardsman with Lasgun (converting from a SM Scout)

3 Guardsman Seargent with Boltgun + Chainsword (converting from a SM Scout)

1 Platoon Comander with Shotgun + Chainsword (converting from a SM)

2 Company Commander with Boltgun + Chainsword (converting from a SM)

A lot of it is on order and should arrive over the next week or so. Below is what I've got in the draw.

Will I be able to get it all painted in the ETL... good question.

So far I've completed:

1 Captain w JP, SS & TH

1 Librarian Dreadnought

1 Sanguinary Ancient w PF

1 Company Veterans w IP and PF

4 Company Veterans w CS and SS

10 Hellblasters (5 heavy, 5 rapid fire)

1 Watch Master

1 Interrogator Chaplain

Combined with what was already done, that leaves plenty to choose from for the etl.

2019-03-11%2014.05.09.jpg?raw=1

I probably shouldn't have vowed Guardsmen here, that doesn't make sense for this as their not Raptors. However, I am using Space Marine scouts for the models, so could potentially get away with it... haha

2019-03-11%2014.06.52.jpg?raw=1

Edited by ambit

Yeah absolutely. Excited to see what you Vow for ETL Ambit. Do you think you’ll be painting that primarily as Raven Ghard, Raptors or a DIY Chapter?

It will all be painted as Raptors, even though some will be played as Deathwatch and some as Blood Angels.

Vow 6

I, thewarriorhunter, vow to complete a Captain, Lieutenant, and Librarian in Phobos armor. These elite leaders shall strike fear into the enemies as they use stealth and guerrilla tactics to smite the enemy.

Hidden Content

Shadowspear was picked up today! I quickly unloaded the heretical half of the box. I'm going to get the HQs up and running as quickly as possible because I'm always pulling a non-HQ model to be an HQ. Plus I want the libby so I can participate in the psychic phase.

Fb0Flt3h.jpg

Vows 5 and 6 complete:

Hidden Content

WQ4Btwth.jpg

pOQCJ2Lh.jpg

I think I may be calling it quits after this. I'm tempted to try and vow the rest of Shadowspear but frankly I'm burned out on building. Total completed is just over 1k points of built models that now need paint so I may switch gears and begin painting. I paint so slow that I'm sure I'll have plenty of this sitting around when ETL rolls around.

I got notice that my contemptor bits shipped, as soon as those come in I'll prime and my first vow will be done as well.