Daemons of the Ruinstrom Tactica: We own the night

Argel Tal

No.

'cause without the Rending upgrade they'll be even less effective than Tainted Flesh cult militia ... which costs a quarter of them.

That.

At least rending should always be an autoinclude.

No.

'cause without the Rending upgrade they'll be even less effective than Tainted Flesh cult militia ... which costs a quarter of them.

That.

100% agreed. My take on it so far is autoinclude:

- Rending on anything non MC

- Shred on any MC's

Anything beyond that is really dependant on what you want them to do. I find the 3+ save is really tasty, but Miasma of Rot is really quite nice especially on the higher strength gribblies.

But... but... :sweat:

Rending is 5 pts per model which is 500 pts on on my theorised units (5 units of 20) that mostly work as tar pits and screens - while MCs do the job... It's 3 shrikes's (in pts)! I suppose that those "naked" units would fare best with 5+ fnp though (Creeping Scourge).

Of course I may be totally wrong and I fully accept that.

It is all for a sake of some discussion. :biggrin.:

But... but... :sweat:

Rending is 5 pts per model which is 500 pts on on my theorised units (5 units of 20) that mostly work as tar pits and screens - while MCs do the job... It's 3 shrikes's (in pts)! I suppose that those "naked" units would fare best with 5+ fnp though (Creeping Scourge).

It is all for a sake of some discussion. :biggrin.:

A twenty men squad with rending is a beast. Without it they're just nice to have.

But... but... :sweat:

Rending is 5 pts per model which is 500 pts on on my theorised units (5 units of 20) that mostly work as tar pits and screens - while MCs do the job... It's 3 shrikes's (in pts)! I suppose that those "naked" units would fare best with 5+ fnp though (Creeping Scourge).

It is all for a sake of some discussion. :biggrin.:

Don't play at this level of points with that much spam ahah and I also think rending should be an autotake for lesser daemons or they won't do :cuss at cc.

Shrikes, behemoth and lords look like the best units daemons have access to. On overall th army is better suited to be an ally than a real primary army due to the bad warp rift mechanic.

So anyone else noticed they bungled the lord and brutes emmenations?

The rules for emmanations don't allow for ICs to pass on theirs and vice versa, and forces units to all buy it if one does....except for the lord+brutes who's specifically allow them to take separate ones. And the lord isn't an IC.

So for say Quicksilver speed, you can buy it as the third on your lord and your brutes get it. And wings. And shred. And rend. Or vice-versa.

Needs a faq.

• 4 weeks later...

I happen to have a few spare nighthaunts (exactly the ones from soul wars) and would love to convert them into daemons to use in HH, 4 nighthaunt horsemen and 2 morghast from Death Order.

What would you suggest building up? Consider I'd field them only with my WB army (which is 2 land raiders with terminators, 1 spartan with gal vorbak, 1 rhino with veterans and a few lesser things) with a 1k (maximum) budget point.

I thought about using the chainrasp hordes as lesser daemons but they'd be way too little for the 32mm base, minding this I think the only option is building a few swarms with these. The cavalry with the hero is going directly to the FA slot while the morghasts might be either shrikes or HS. The missing pieces come down to 9 shrouded ghosts to field as either lesser daemons (would a troop of 10 be reasonable?) or beasts (again mixing them on bigger bases as with the swarms), an herald and a few brutes/beasts.

Which emanations should I prioritize?

Remember that in an allied detachment you only have one of each force org slot (except troops, which get two or course).

Lesser Daemons are completely feasible.

Swarms make for an okay non-compulsory troops choice, but outside of Creeping Scourge Beasts are almost always the obvious choice (and can fill compulsory at that).

Crushing Claws is essential for non-monstrous units.

Flensing Talons is almost as essential (but not quite) for all monstrous units.

Then just spice up the other emanation slots which whatever befits the fluff of your army or the visuals of the models the most. There you go.

I happen to find the Ruinstorm list to be mostly balanced (of course you can do list-tailoring shenanigans, but you can do that with every other army / list etc. out there as well), except for the Daemon Shrikes, which are waaaay to cheap for what they deliever. But yeah, all in all a lot more balanced than the Talons list when it was first released.

EDIT:  spelling

Edited by Unknown Legionnaire

• 4 weeks later...

Was at an event this weekend where my corrupted Alpha Legion brought daemonic friends with them. :) 

It was a learning experience, but as an allied detachment, I love the chosen as a HQ for two reasons: #1, he's cheap! #2, preferred enemy! Since they're super-friends with all traitors you can easily join him to a shooty unit to give them preferred enemy against the chosen unit type. I'm always going to take brutes because of how sturdy they are and that they always come out at turn 1, and with wings they're a threat that needs to be dealt with, and with T7 and having them close to the portal for re-rolls (and FnP from creeping scourge) they're almost invurnerable. 

I took a unit of 10 flying rending lesser daemons, but they didn't do much with their rends at all. Against auxilia they didn't need it, and against termies they had a 4++ to compete with anyway and their fists ID:ed them turn 3+. Having them mobile to cap objectives and screen everywhere is why I'll keep taking wings on them. 

I took 3 beasts with rot and sundering fangs but they were too few, they got shot up before they got too close to any vehicles...and besides most of the vehicles were leviathans or knights so they got killed off quickly in cc. 

I took a barbie Shrike, but I used it the wrong way, with Bs4 and just one shot it wasen't relible at all, and besides I had the rest of my AL army to shoot with anyway and they're way better at it... 

Working on a conversion for a Behemoth now, and a bigger squad of beasts...but how is the shrike meant to be used???

Imo the best units of the list are:

Lord with shred and psi mastery

Shirkes with shred

Lesser daemons with rend

The fkying mc can swoop aroun the turn they come and then charge in the next while the lessers are surprisingly tanky and can swarm up the board eating marines and termis easily.

The fact that most of the army is in reserves makes you max out the number of units.

Biomancy seems like the main power with iron arm and endurance for shirkes/greaters

Akternative take: nuke a chosen with posession for free greater daemons

Edited by noigrim

• 11 months later...

Back on the topic of Shrikes:

Can they be given the 'Corrosive Vomit' emanation ? 

Note that the game text here is different (as opposed to 'Flaming Ichor'), stating that  'for every three models in the unit (rounding up)'  one model can utilise the template attack.

A Shrikes' unit size is always one, so in theory, it fails to fulfil the requirement, doesn't it ?

Flaming Ichor does it the other way 'round, stating that for every five models, or fraction thereof (1 being a fraction of 5), one model can utilise the ichor attack.

Thoughts ?

No.

That.

Man, I hate how poorly designed the Ruinstorm list is. The fact that there are "autoincludes" such as these speaks volumes of it.

And it doesn't stop there, the fact that they're treated as "Agents of the Warmaster" makes obsolete half of the Word Bearer's demon allies rules.

Who knows how long until FW fixes it.

@U.L.: "A Shrikes' unit size is always one, so in theory, it fails to fulfil the requirement, doesn't it?"

Correct.

No.

That.

Man, I hate how poorly designed the Ruinstorm list is. The fact that there are "autoincludes" such as these speaks volumes of it.

And it doesn't stop there, the fact that they're treated as "Agents of the Warmaster" makes obsolete half of the Word Bearer's demon allies rules.

Who knows how long until FW fixes it.

It always comes down to rending.

Maybe they should fix that special rule first. ;)