The Lycia Crusade: The High Marshal complete!

Urkh

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you everyone!

@brother christopher: the helmet is stolen from a reiver set, so that's probably why you don't like it, haha.

No, no! ;) It's not my stance on the Primaris thing, it's more that I've always preferred "full skull" helmets or funky faceplate helmets to skull-lookalike facaplates fitted into basically a regular helmet.

As for my output, at least quantity wise, do not try and replicate what I am doing. I am stay up way too late trying to rush to get these guys done for knightfall. I've never failed a vow, and I am not going to start here! ZEAL! As for quality, both of us do different things better. I really enjoy seeing how you decorate your guy's armor. I am very focused on technical stuff right now, trying to learn new techniques, so my mind doesn't think about jazzy stuff outside of painting some script or a cross on a kneepad. Those checkered skulls, patterned parchment, and cape details you do are astounding, and it will be a while before I try stuff like that. I only even just ventured into putting red on the inside of a cape! So don't sell yourself short!

Sure, for the first time in my life, I didn't intend to sell myself short ;) as you've noted, we do some things differently. What I probably wanted to say (because this is sincerely how I feel), if I had a smaller collection, I'd aim for your style of armour and metallics with more retro-details like freehand text, chequered fields, crusade seals and what not. However, given my situation and my aim, I need to cut some corners to get my army finally done.

By the way, congrats on completing the vow and I'm glad you submitted your entry for the People's Choice thingy!

As for the terminator helms, corax white the whole thing, nuln oil the whole thing, ulthuan grey as a layer, white scar as a highlight. For the armor, I just watched some of squidmar's videos on how light reflects on surfaces, and power armor has a lot of cylinders, so now I am painting lots of cylindrical highlights!

I need to get ulthuan grey, then - thanks for sharing the technique.

• 2 months later...

Quick question:

I was going through our supplement, and noticed on the points page that the auto bolt rifle for the primaris crusader squad is +1 pt. The datasheet says they're 19 ppm, but come armed with ABR. Does this mean they're actually 20 ppm unless we switch them to a heavy bolt pistol and chainsword?

Quick question:

I was going through our supplement, and noticed on the points page that the auto bolt rifle for the primaris crusader squad is +1 pt. The datasheet says they're 19 ppm, but come armed with ABR. Does this mean they're actually 20 ppm unless we switch them to a heavy bolt pistol and chainsword?

Correct. :smile.:

• 2 months later...

My brother and I have a game planned for the 12th. He plays Nids, so this should hopefully be an interesting game. My firstborn only army is going to have its work cut out for it! I am definitely going to try and get the devastators, terminators, lucius, and eliwood into the game.

In preparation for my game on the 12th, I have been putting together some minis to be representative of characters in the game. From left to right we have:

Castellan Lynn with Teeth of Terra (represented as a chainsword "staff" (to be her Mani Kati and Sol Kati)

Sword Brother Raven, to either lead an assault squad or a vanguard vet squad. Equipped with Sword of judgement and a storm shield

Sword Brother Bartre, equipped woth fist of balthus and combi grav.

20220705_183627.jpg

Edit: also put together the rest of Raven's vanguard vets squad. All weapons and jump packs are magnetized (so they can also be on foot/be company vets as well).

20220706_002734.jpg

Edited by Urkh

Well, the game only ended up getting one turn played because I got there late and they took another hour and a half playing a game of EDH. Either way, I took abhor the witch as my vow. The 5++ from uphold would have barely mattered from what he took, and only a few minis would have triggered the mini-transhuman. I had a lot of high ap weapons, already, and was already planning on charging and wrecking a lot of stuff, so AAC seemed like little benefit. The extra 3" move my first turn was crazy good, however. It got raven's squad and lucious into close combat turn 1 and almost annihilated his giant squad of gants (the only thing they could reach). I definitely felt the sting of playing only firstborn, specially in the neophytes. It wasnt even worth bringing one per crusader squad for smokescreen due to having so few command points in the beginning now that I just didn't bother. 

It was definitely an interesting experience even if it was only one turn. We had a lot of terrain (mostly ruins) and the feel of this game was much different than most games I have played. Firing lanes actually existed and there was plenty of space to hide units. It actually made it very difficult to drop pod in my devastators. Hopefully next time I'll get to play more than one round.

Ah, games against nids - that's where I started since my gaming buddy had some Kraken Hive Fleet bugs. This brings back some memories. A bit of a pity you didn't get to see how the army did as the turns progressed, but congrats on finding the time to actually play the game ;) Firstborn Neophytes and Scouts in general are currently awfully bad. I also get what you're saying with the drop pods - with the generally smaller and more cluttered boards, it's sometimes prohibitively difficult to find the right spot for landing a pod (a relatively large model) so that its passengers are also able to deal some damage or do something otherwise viable.

Honestly, I am thinking I want to start adding bikers to my crusade. Lowen, Kent, Sain, Marcus, and Isadora all are on horseback in the game, and I would love to have on foot crusader squads for each of them, as well as biker squad versions. In addition, I am looking at my collection and realizing I don't have many options per different units. Most of my minis are basic bolters or bp/cs initiates. I feel I need some more variety in my options.

Unfortunately, outside of bikers, the real options are within the primaris range. Infiltrators, eliminators, aggressors,  eradicators, all infantry that do different things compared to what a different infantry unit of firstborn would do. I really wanted to wait until I had the firstborn version of the army completed, but for gameplay purposes, it may be better to just get some primaris, magnetize them, then just leave them unpainted, but play with them until my firstborn are all painted and done. That way I at least have the minis ready to go when I do start them.

But then I have to think about the other two armies I am working on painting as well... oh boy. I need to resist the plastic crack. And also start actually painting.

I recommend resisting in most cases. What you're saying about buying, building and magnetising some Primaris units for the sake of using them in games makes sense; however, there are several things to bear in mind:

- how often do you play? do you feel the need for using these particular units? would your opponents be okay with you using proxies?

- how much time will it take you to 'process' the new additions and how will this affect your other projects?

- isn't this a case of a post-game impulse purchase?

- the new edition will come sooner rather than later and can change the usefulness and roles of the models dramatically; do you expect to use them often in the nearest future? or can you wait and see how the new edition landscape shapes up to be?

I have been pressuring my gaming group to get together to play more warhammer for.a while now, and now at least my brother is able to play more regularly. We have also agreed to since we all have our 9th Ed books, and we haven't used them a lot, we will probably skip at least 10th edition, unless it turns out to be the best thing ever.

When it comes to time, painting takes a lot more than assembling, and I personally enjoy assembling way more. It can be a real pain, but choosing which mini gets which bits, and most importantly posing them (to the extent of needing drills and pins), brings me a lot of joy. Seeing a pose executed well motivates me to paint the minis, because I think the pose makes the mini more than the paint job. I can paint a dude just standing there with a bolter to amazing standards, but it will be boring to paint him. A project like the marshal I did for knightfall was super fun, because I got to see how cool it looked before hand, and it only got cooler after the paint job. 

And as for the impulse buy after a game, maybe a bit. I've had the thought for a while now, but this game really put the feeling in a new light. I know I need to be patient, as I have sprues up to my waist in stuff that needs to be painted, and I'm over 6' tall. Not only that, but I am hoping to buy a lot of terrain kits here to add to my personal table. Lots and lots of plans, I must resist being a whale.

• 4 months later...

When I was painting the Marshal for Knightfall oh so long ago, I saw his leg plates and thought to myself, "man, these legs look like they would make a sweet techmarine." Then I thought, "if he's going to be a techmarine, he needs parts from the chunky castellan." When I got one for Xmas, I knew it was time. I found that I could use the ammo mags from assault cannons I wasn't using as the arms, and I was off to the races!

Then I just needed to figure out which character from Fire Emblem I wanted him to be. I imagine in my head that techmarines would be the ones that have all the cool toys, and the guy in fire emblem who carries everything is Merlinus, the merchant. He holds all the extra toys that the rest of my units have no inventory space to hold. It seemed like a perfect fit! So...

I bring to you, Merlinus, Master of the Forge for the Lycia Crusade!

20221206_021059.jpg

20221206_021120.jpg

20221206_021225.jpg

On 1/6/2022 at 11:59 AM, Urkh said:

@Reinhard: oh if only you knew my plans for what I am going to do with second black templars Marshal I got in the combat patrol!

Fun that we had this interaction almost exactly 11 months ago, haha! Took me a long time to deliver on that!

17 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

Definately a very unique conversion you have there. Be proud, brother!

+1 to the above.

Great idea, excellent execution. I mean, this is one of the cooler Primaris conversions I've seen. Also, congrats on your bravery - I imagine that this could've gone wrong in so many different ways, leading you to ruin the models.

48 minutes ago, Brother Christopher said:

+1 to the above.

Great idea, excellent execution. I mean, this is one of the cooler Primaris conversions I've seen. Also, congrats on your bravery - I imagine that this could've gone wrong in so many different ways, leading you to ruin the models.

Oh you know it... it was a lot of work. Technically, this would be a firstborn because of the servo harness arms. However, all the servo arms are magnetized on, and I have the set up for the primaris version's forge bolter and mechatendrils. There's a major piece that needs to be primed though, and the weather atm... won't let that happen.

Thank you both of you guys!

Edited by Urkh

Oh, I can only imagine. I think you score additional points for magnetising the thing to future-proof the model, so to speak

I also feel you about the weather getting in the way of the hobby. I assume that you don't have an airbrush. Using rattle-can primers in winter is... tricky. You can't do it outside because of the weather (low temperatures, humidity) and doing it inside, if you don't have access to a basement or other non-residential room, means you have to suffer the smell of the primer for hours, something which is neither nice, nor healthy.

For smaller painting projects, I highly recommend brush-on primers (I have experience with black and grey from Vallejo) - they are easy to work with and very useful given the outdoors constraints. On the downside, using them takes way more time.

I have a pot of imperial primer I got from a friend that I would use for stuff like that. Unfortunately, it somehow has turned into a rubber like consistency. 

The hardest parts were cutting the legs off the torso, and the shoulder pad from the back of the Castellan.  I will actually be using some tubing from that shoulder pad that I carefully took off to be the mechatendrils. 

Bonus pic of Merlinus next to my original kit bash techmarine:

20221206_050621.jpg

Edited by Urkh
Added bonus pic