Supplement - What we expecting/wanting?

Title kind of says it all. What does everyone want from the supplement, and what do we expect from it?

Personally I would like to see:

- More details with how Primaris are integrated into Salamander society, especially the humans on Nocturne

- How about getting the Primaris involved in the quest for Vulkan's Relics

- Hopefully a speciality unit (something I imagine most supplements will get), something like Pyroclasts would be cool. Although obviously GW are going to make all the speciality units Primaris, so maybe they'll invent something else. Maybe pure flamer/melta options for Hellblasters

- Couple of new strategems maybe.

Something I know I will see is the Salamanders Pyromancy psychic discipline. Do we expect pure damage output? Maybe an ash cloud spell that imposes -1 to hit on a unit? Any other psychic power ideas?

Heavy Flamers in Tactical Squads.

Forgeworld character rules. They're great, balanced and I love to use them, but hate I have to buy yet another book/ruleset each time to use them.

They brought out Primaris Calgar, give us Primaris Tu'shan!

Really, there's lots of ways they could go with things. If I can get Heavy Flamers in my Tactical Squads and nothing else, though, I'll be happy. I don't care if it's a bad choice, it makes sense and is in almost every bit of fiction written about Salamanders.

Forgeworld character rules. They're great, balanced and I love to use them, but hate I have to buy yet another book/ruleset each time to use them.

They brought out Primaris Calgar, give us Primaris Tu'shan!

FW rules in a Codex would be a first, I think (barring any twin autocannon dreadnought shenanigans I might have missed/forgotten), but would be kind of nice. However, there is still the (unspoken) rule of "no models, no rules", at least in regular WH40k-books.

I myself would like to hold onto Vulkan as he is right now and instead get another inevitable Primaris`d character. I personally would like someone along the line of Vel`cona or a chaplain of sorts.

Plus, optional artificer armor on character models that does not need a relic like Armour Indomitus. Having a 2+ captain is something I am missing most from older editions and it would make sense fluffwise in Salamanders. And I don't think it would be too overpowered, if you give it an appropriate point cost.

I would like like to see use of Storm bolters in Close Combat because it makes sense especially when its wrist-mounted, SuQo7M6.jpg

The SB stats turn to something like Pistol 2 or Pistol 4, something like that.

Edited by Captain Antargo

After having seen the Scions of Guilliman rule, I’m expecting some sort of army wide flamer rule or something. As far as wishlisting goes, Primaris Tu’Shan, He’Stan and Primarch Vulkan. An upgrade sprue like other chapters have would be cool, maybe with the the first Primaris TH. I know it’ll never happen but a firstborn upgrade sprue with a salamander head flamer and torso with drake scale loin cloth would be a dream come true. Also given that Scars are getting a Khan on bike unit, for which there is no model, and the inclusion of the First Born lieutenant in the main codex (provided it hasn’t suffered the chopping block in the new codex), I’d like to see a Salander terminator squad with the option of taking TH and heavy flamers in the same squad (which can easily be done via kitbashing). Of course a new terminator squad with drake scale loin cloths, TH, HF and MM would be a dream com true too, but it’s not going to happen. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants

This. I still don't understand why Blood Angels are the only chapter that get to choose a Heavy Flamer option in their Tac squads. It would also be really cool if the intercessors got the ability to use Heavy Flamers. Doubt it will happen. But it would be cool.

Edited by Aothaine

Plus it would allow them to reduce to one tactical squad box and leave chapter-specific stuff to upgrade kits and chapter-specific units

I mean, in all their stories as far as I can recall the only tactical marine to use a Heavy Flamer is a Salamander in the salamander series!

Edited by Excubitor

Things pretty much guaranteed

Full set of warlord traits

More relics

Special issue wargear

More stratagems

A new psychic discipline, including at least one that does mortal wounds

A doctrine specialization

Things I expect but aren't guaranteed

Relic thunder hammer and relic flame weapon

Updates/tweaks to Vulkan He'stan's datasheet, maybe a simple as his flame/melta re-roll affecting any hit/wound rolls, not just fails

A way to increase flame and possibly melta weapon range, be it a psychic power, our doctrine trait, a warlord trait, etc

Ability to give thunder hammers to some Primaris sergeants

A chapter specific Chaplain litany

Things that wouldn't surprise me but I don't necessarily expect

A new Primaris Salamander only unit

A new Primaris character

A stratagem for veterans and/or terminators

A way to take hand flamers and/or heavy flamers on more units

Things that might be nice to have but are unlikely

Ability for Chaplains to replace their crozius with a thunder hammer

Ability to somewhat mix and match Terminators (e.g. thunder hammer/storm shields in tactical squads or heavy flamer/power fists in assault squads)

Primarch Vulkan's return

A stratagem to re-roll or force the result of the roll for another turn in random game length missions

A non-Primaris Salamander only unit, such as Pyroclasts

Something to benefit tank durability beyond what the chapter tactic already does

As someone ogling the Invictor warsuits I hope we get something to help mitigate the randomness of flame weapons. Probably as a stratagem/psychic power but I guess it might end up being an addition to a doctrine, like the UM "move but count as standing still".

Things like, but not necessarily;

Full rerolls on wound rolls with flame weapons (might clash a bit with flamecraft if that's kept as is),

reroll amount of hits with flame weapons (or roll an additional die and discard the lowest),

flame weapons in the selected unit have an additional AP

I would like boosts to melta weapons as well but I doubt those would end up being anything other than stratagems because primaris don't have melta weaponry and GW will probably want to push a weapon type that both classic- and primaris marines have access to. And if I remrmber correctly it was stated in the codex (the 2017 one) that salamanders quickly became fans of flamer aggressors so giving them an extra push makes sense IMO.

Tbh, I'm a bit concerned. I fear that the Sallies' codex might have even less stuff/ fluff than the Scars' one has but for the same prize.

I mean, here's hope that there might be some Primaris successors, which we haven't had in the main codex.

Some massive cool fluff is what I'd like to see. :)

What I want: to finally learn what's going on with the two companies that have been kicking about on Armageddon since the Third War for Armageddon. It occurred in 998.M41, so the chapter itself didn't have to make do with two fewer companies for long, and I didn't expect anything to happen with them whenever I remembered about these guys... but things have changed since then. I think Angron came back for a second round?

They must have been happy about that, incidentally.

Hidden Content
"How long have we been fighting orks, and nothing but orks, again?"

"Beats me. Thirty years, three hundreds? No idea."

"Sigh."

"ARMAGEDDON. I HAVE COME FOR YOU. THAT FIRST DEFEAT WAS A PRACTICE ROUND. YOU WILL DROWN IN BLOOD. FOR REALLY REALS."

"Oh, thank the Emperor."

What I expect, however, is FIRE ANVIL FLAME HAMMER FIRE SMITHING DRAGON MOUNTAIN FLAME INFERNO HAMMER VOLCANO BLACKSMITH CRUCIBLE OF WAR FIRE ANVIL ANVIL FLAME FIRE ANVIL FIRE FLAME FIRE.

• 2 weeks later...

Since no space marine chapter is as good with tinkering with weapons or building as good as weapons (Iron hands don't really count), I would like to see Salamanders have the ability to field multiple master crafted weapons into battle within the same army. So, that the buffs more accurately reflect their fine craftsmanship compared to every other chapter out there. However, I could just be saying this because I want more D4 thunder hammers, without having to go to the White Scars, because I like the Salamanders more! :P

One little thing that I see hasn't been mentioned is the (very likely Salamanders) Flame-based relic weapon.

Page 166 of Codex Space Marines, under Flamer weapons, says:

Note that the following weapons found in codex supplements are flame weapons: Gauntlet of the Forge, Drakkis

It is likely this is a souped-up Combi-Flamer, based around the following from the same section:

Rules that apply to flame weapons also apply to the flamer profile of Relics that replace combi-flamers.

There's a chance it might belong to another Chapter (Iron Hands, perhaps, since they have lost the Combi-Melta going by the lack of mention in the Melta Weapons section) but between being a Flame weapon and having a name related to drakes I am pretty certain it's a Salamanders one.

Otherwise, I am just looking forwards to a hearty chunk of background (perhaps addressing some of the old Cities/Companies questions for example) relics, warlord traits, stratagems and psychic powers. I very much doubt we will have any units aside from Vulkan He'Stan (presumably Primarised) unless GW really wants to surprise us with a wave release. Certainly thinking more along White Scars lines than Ultramarines, that's for sure.

+EDIT+

Oh, and a Primaris upgrade sprue. Really hope it has a Thunder Hammer and Hand Flamer on it to help fill out the options available to the squads (The UM one has a Power Sword, the WS one Chainsword, the IF one in the box set had a Power Fist).

I would certainly like to see an expanded armoury - the option for Hand Flamers in the ranged weapons list and Heavy Flamers in Tactical Squads would fit the background, but so far no Codex has had a (non-Stratagem) way of modifying existing datasheets.

Edited by Gothical

• 2 weeks later...

Two T9 Land Raider Redeemers are going to be nasty, (One with the new spell, one with Might of Heroes). Then if the -1 to hit power applies to vehicles, pop that on a Land Raider Achilles and you have a nasty spearhead that maximizes chapter tactics and is fluffy.

Another great combo will be the reroll flamer hits WL trait on a Primaris Character with the increase aura by 3" relic.. if it's a 40mm based character you're looking at almost a 20" bubble of reroll hits, which is really good when you consider the variance that D6 hit weapons produce.

Edited by zero88