Army idea, heavy assault force

Galron

This is more of a back burner project but I have seen the new leaks, which didn't vary too much from the couple week old weirdly worded leaks Valrek and some others put out and it has inspired me to work on it. I have my sneaky army, my all primaris army, a mini-marine army and too many non-marine armies to bother listing, 4 different guard armies for example with one of them always being worked on, self promise when I started it, no unpainted models which means I put together and paint 4 or 5 guys at a time and paint them before the next 4 or 5, there are 200+ guys in the list so it will be awhile. So yeah I like projects and putting them on the board more than I actually like playing them thus I only play tournaments with hobby scores. 

So anyway, I really like the 30k terminator squads for Salamanders and want to use a pair of those, a redeemer lander raider, a repulsor that I have lying around with the flamer aggressors. I was thinking Spartan to carry both squads(or one big one) but those are ridiculously over priced. I also have an unbuilt Storm Eagle, also incredibly over priced but at least not on Spartan levels.

what I am trying to accomplish is a heavy line breaker assault force, really thinking 2 redeemers and a repulsor. Now the new character and maybe someone else like a chaplain in the repulsor, a termy captain and Libby along with the two term squads in the other. Note that this is pure brainstorming at this point which is why its not in the army list section.

How do we effectively do a storm assault force maximizing our salamander strengths? Are land raider redeemers even worth it? What else do I fill the list with. Would going mech and having the rest be tacticals in rhinos be worth it or maybe something else. I know what I want to be the center pieces(aggressors and TH+SS termies), but they are enough of an investment I need to build the rest of the force around them. Lets hear some ideas... Note doesn't have to be super competitive, I am already bringing terminators after all even if they are super strong in the new supplement.

Doing some quick battlescribe work and not knowing how much the new character is, after the 3 characters(one batt, one vanguard) I end up with 375ish points roughly which can get me 2 intercessors, and 2 scout squads which means this army will get torn up in a standard game, so perhaps dropping a term squad and raider. Now what?

Edited by Galron

If we are speaking about breaking a gun line type army then here is what I think.  

So I have been working the noodle trying to figure out how best to deliver our nasty flamers to the front line.  We do have a -1 to hit psychic power and a +1 T power as well.  This can help keep that redeemer alive especially if you pop smoke and advance turn 1.  Unfortunately you sometimes don't get into combat until turn 3 depending on how far away they are and if you have to drive around ruins.  The regular Repulsor is a bit less durable than a land raider but can fly over terrain.  To me if you are looking to have fun and don't care about losing 300 points in 1 turn of shooting then go for it.  Just be sure you get those powers off.  

The list I have been working towards more is Drop pods, Impulsors and Invictor suits.  I bring aggressors but I normally put them on foot and just advance them every round.  Ill put Adrax and hellblasters or th wielding intersessor unit in the impulsor, then vulkan and whatever your flavor melta unit in the drop pod.  These units can really help you get that turn 2 assault, sometimes turn 1 depending on how aggressive you go.  The invictors demand your opponents attention immediately and if ignored will do some damage.  you can drop vulkan in just behind them turn 1 for the flame reroll buff.

I am determined to make flamer aggressors work but I feel they are relegated to the mid board skirmish role unless you put them in a Repulsor.  It is possible to get them across the board but usually requires an assault charge to get there.  I am going to try a chaplain on foot behind them for the +2 inch charge and 6 inch consolidate.

I'm hoping other folks have some better ideas.  Until I see the supplement its hard to tell but the leaks so far have been good.  Another thing I will try to protect the aggressors is some incursors or infiltrators in front of them and then pop Self Sacrifice to force the shooting on them.  

Hmm some ideas to think of. I wish I could put a Spartan in the list instead of the two raiders but I think the cost is still more. I will have to think on this.

Wow, just played against an Imperial Fist army using the new doctrine rules. Toughness 8 vehicles do not matter, a 6 man centurion death star will devastate anything that comes into range. This list as fun as it sounds is dead in the water against that kind of force. I dont think I could have even come close to making it into combat with him with my planned list. 

Back to the drawing board I think and I will work on my Spectres, they would have a chance at least.

Edited by Galron

It is one force. I am just re-orging a bit. Especially since I have 5 marine armies right now as it is. What I might go for is using either the Storm Eagle to bring in the squads and do a drop pod assault. I just didnt have enough force aside from the raiders, repulsor and 2 term squads. I literally had less than 400 points after that plus the characters which isn't much to work with once you add required minimum troops.

I have the drop pods, 3 duel heavy flamer skimmers, and a crap ton of power armor dudes needing to go in the stripper. Maybe skip the aggressors and repulsor for now. We will see. 

Not letting me edit for some reason so sorry for the double post instead of an update.

I have come up with several ideas that appeal to me. Each with their own issues.

Salamander air borne

Chaplain , mantra of strength, benediction relic

Chapter master in terminator armor with thunder hammer, storm shield. Warlord with relic thunder hammer and unknown warlord trait

Intercessor x5 with stalker rifles

Tac squad x5 with multimelta/ combi melta and power sword

Tac Squad x5 with multimelta/ combi melta and power sword

3 Land speeders with dual heavy flamers

Storm Eagle Assault Gunship with twin multi-melta, twin lascannons, vengeance launcher

Ancient in Terminator armor

Terminator Assault Squad with SS + TH

2 Drop Pods

Spearhead detachment

Bare bone captain to ride with

Devastators with 4 Multi-meltas and a armorium cherub

Hunter

Elimator Squad with lasfusils

There are some major issues with this list, mobility and horde being the biggest two but it would look pretty good and give me an excuse to build the painful storm eagle I have sitting around(not sure if this is a plus or not)

Second is my Mech list which seems much more viable

Chaplain  mantra of fire.  He Babysits the Eliminators. Not sure whether to do Fire or focus.

Captain in terminator armor, TH+ SS with the relic TH. Unknown Warlord trait

Intercessors x5 with Stalkers

Intercessors x6 with Autobolt Rifles hand flamer, power sword

Intercessors x6 with AutoBolt Rifles hand flamer, chain sword

Terminator Assault Squad TH + SS

Land Speeders x3 dual Heavy Flamers

Eliminators x3 lasfusils

Land Raider Redeemer

Detachment

Phobos LT with Vox Espiritum relic

3 Invictors

2 Impulsors with 2 Storm Bolters and a shield domes.

More mobile than the airborne version and I think ultimately more survivable. Actually thinking this is the route I am going to go for. It has a lot of pressure very early on with the Invictors starting up close on one flank, the speeders with their 6d6 heavy flamers coming up the other side and the redeemer in the middle plus I have the two shield dome impulsors capping objectives. Meanwhile there is an eliminator squad with a chaplain babysitting it somewhere in the back field hitting on 3s and wounding on 2s most of the time unless its a t8 vehicle. Seems like a fun list to me

Edited by Galron

• 2 weeks later...