2019/2020 B&C Dice Planning

Brother Tyler

We've had several very successful runs of custom B&C dice in the past, but it's been a few years, so I'm gauging interest in having another run.

The image below shows some of the dice from our previous runs:

gallery_26_6764_4134.jpg

The first run was the die on the left. This run featured the Legio skull on the "6" face, skull pips on the other faces, and a decorative square border on all faces.

The second run was the four dice in the middle. This run featured complementary customized "6" faces featuring half of the Legio skull logo on paired dice. The other faces used custom font numbers.

The third run allowed for one of three skull options on the "6" face (I chose the basic Legio logo), with the other faces using skull pips. One of the other options replaced the Legio skull with a skull over a Terminator cross; and the third option was for a skull silhouette on each face with the number on the skull's forehead.

The constant element in past runs was that the "6" face was customized with a skull decoration. The other faces have either featured skull pips or custom numbers.

The image below shows some initial concepts. We aren't limited to these image concepts, though some variation on the Legio skull is a given (i.e., we're not going with any faction/sub-faction icon).

The image below also shows skull pips for the other faces, using the "5" face because that shows all of the pips. We're not limited to skull pips. We could, instead, use generic dot pips, generic numbers, or custom numbers (potentially with other decorations/embellishments).

gallery_26_6764_447143.jpg

Things to consider:

• Cost increases for each customized face.
  • Cost increases for more color variations (i.e., each color combination counts as a single batch, so the fewer dice there are in a batch, the more expensive the dice are).
The basic colors of the Bolter & Chainsword website are black, white, and red. By default, our dice runs include options with those colors. In addition, a green die option rounds out representation of most factions in the setting. We aren't limited to those four die colors or the design colors that I've shown, but keep in mind the things to consider above.

We're only going with one "6" decoration (i.e., the large skull images).

This is just an initial discussion - nobody is committing to anything yet. What I'm looking for from you is an idea of:

• Which skull design do you want on the "6" face? Or is there some other skull idea you have?
  • Do you prefer pips or numbers?
  • If we get pips, would you prefer generic dots or skulls?
  • If we get numbers, would you prefer a basic font or a custom font?
  • What color combination(s) are you interested in?
  • How many dice do you think you would want? (Understandably, this may be limited based on the cost of each die.)
Note that I'm in initial discussion with a company now, so this isn't going to happen right away. Once I have an idea of what everyone wants, I'll have to finalize designs in a vector image format, get a better estimate on costs based on tentative quantities requested, and then work through the production cycle (which could take a couple of months). So I don't expect this to happen until early 2020.

I'd likely be interested. I like the look of the skull pips a lot, but I'm fine with standard pips or printed numbers as long as the font is easy to read across the table. I like both the legio symbol and the silhouette for the 6. I would prefer black dice with white marks, but I would buy any of the above combos in black / red / white. Not a fan of the green or yellow though. As for quantity, it depends on cost, but I like having a bunch and I host my groups games so maybe 50-100 if cost isn't too high. At least 20 though, I expect.

I’d be interested in getting some so to answer about my preferences:

1) I prefer the Legio symbol for the skull

2) I prefer pips to numbers and would go for the skull pips over the normal ones

3) If you got numbers instead I would just want them be quick and easy to read

4) I would primarily be interested in the white die with black pips/skulls and the black die with white pips/skulls.

5) Depending on cost I would probably want between 20 - 40 dice

• Which skull design do you want on the "6" face? Or is there some other skull idea you have?
  • How many dice do you think you would want? (Understandably, this may be limited based on the cost of each die.)

• Skull Silhouette or Legio symbol
  • Pips
  • Skulls would be cool
  • neither
  • Either red with white or black with white
  • Honestly, depends on how much they'll cost. The 3x3x4 dice box from chessex has a good base amount though, so as a placeholder I'll go with that. 

Additionally, I really like the first version with the border on each side. Having that detail would improve them a lot imo.

Edited by sfPanzer

I’ll echo that I really like the first run of dice, with the white borders.

For the questions that you’ve asked -

Legion symbol for the six

Pips over numbers

Skulls over generic pips

Black and White

The worry I have with them is how well they will roll. Over the past couple of years GW have gone with very pronounced corners on their premium dice, and in my eyes they don’t roll very well (if at all). Some of my older dice, like my old Chessex, have much more rounded corners and roll very nicely.

Dice with hard edges are great if you roll on some kind of matt or something where they can grip but don't really work on plastic or similar surfaces where they just slide. Personally I like the hard edges more because I only play on matts, however I wouldn't mind the classic soft edges either.

I dig the skull outline to the others, would probably want black and white dice. Would like mostly numbers since they're easier to read, I would grab like 20-30 of them when you guys figure it out. I'm not picky so once you guys hash it out and figure what you're going to go with just let me know where to buy :D

That first one you showed from the first run looks amazing. Frankly the other 6 look...well...a little run down if being generous and the concept of "complimentary" symbols for 6s just makes it look awkward and incomplete while the last one in that line up just looks like a budget version of the first to the point of being generic.

(being honest here)

As for preferences

The first skull design shown in the line-up of dice, coupled with the border

Pips

Skulls

Black body, white design

10-20, depending on price

Here's a crazy alternative idea that occurred to me last night. :ph34r.:

Would anyone like dice that have the Kill Team marker designs? These would incorporate the normal designs and each would also have a number, so they could serve as both markers and randomizers. I'll whip up some alternatives if anyone wants to see concepts.

Also, right now I'm not really concerned with colors. At the very least, we'll offer six alternative (white on black, red on black, white on red, black on red, black on white, red on white). Additional colors will depend. In the past, we've offered a number of additional colors, but these only came with one decoration color option each (e.g., black on yellow, white on green, white on blue). Each different combination is a different batch, though, which means fewer dice in a batch, so higher cost.

I'll probably put a poll up soon.

Since I recently got back in the hobby this works out cause I don't have any dice. Returning to the hobby but only watched people play never actually played myself, but I'm working on an army to start. How many dice do I need to be safe?

GW dice packs come with 20 and I find that to rarely be enough. Chessex comes with 36 and is usually enough. It really depends on your army though, some use far fewer dice in one go.

I really like my dice from the last run, so I would very much like that same set again or something that works well along side it, since I will probably try and get some dice to use for my Marine armies besides the Stoneburners ones I picked up last time (and three yellow + black for my Wolves, and some random white ones). Here's a sample of what the ones I got look like:

med_gallery_59244_7045_573653.jpeg

I think they are all very readable from across a table, although the red on black is a little more difficult.I would prefer not to have a border on the dice faces unless it's long bones around the outside.

What I'm looking for from you is an idea of:

• I would prefer the Skull Silhouette this time, with or without something additional behind it (circle with the band down the center like the B&C logo).
  • I prefer the skull pips unless we have the option for the number in the skull again - I like both of those a lot and it makes it easier to have special weapon/heavy shots rolled at the same time as the rest of the squad's shooting.
  • Skull pips only, you can get generic dots anywhere
  • If plain numbers, only inside the skull silhouette - custom font numbers only if not in some Chaos influenced appearing text
  • Colors - yellow with red/red with yellow, yellow with black/black with yellow, red with black/black with red, white with red/red with white, black with white/white with black, grey with black, grey with white, grey with red, grey with yellow.
  • Probably 30-50 dice, depending on what is ultimately decided on

Would anyone like dice that have the Kill Team marker designs? These would incorporate the normal designs and each would also have a number, so they could serve as both markers and randomizers. I'll whip up some alternatives if anyone wants to see concepts.

Not really, Brother Tyler - if we are talking Kill Team accoutrements, I'd rather us get some custom B&C Legio acrylic Kill Team tokens for all the card ones that GW provide. Would we also do custom d10s?

I'm going to conduct a few polls to get some more discrete data on this. The polls will build on each other, leading towards our final design. I'm going to lock this topic, but will post updates based on the poll results.

Poll 1: Pips or Numbers?

Pips 60 / Numbers 13

Skull Pips 52 / Dots 21

Poll 2: Orientation

Standard 48 / Diagonal 8

Poll 3: Border?

Yes 24 / No 30

Poll 4: "6" Face Design

Skull only

Skull and crossed bones

Skull in circle with bones

Poll 5: "6" Face Design

Silhouette 36

Outline 0

Hybrid #1 9

Hybrid #2 10

Poll 6: "6" Face Design

Logo only 49

Logo with motto 18

Poll 7: Dice Color Combinations

The poll is now closed.

Black die with red designs, red die with white designs, white die with black designs.

tn_gallery_26_6764_6954.pnggallery_26_6416_0.giftn_gallery_26_6764_2501.pnggallery_26_6416_0.giftn_gallery_26_6764_29913.png

Sandy die with bordowy designs.

tn_gallery_26_6764_4460.png

Orange die with black designs.

tn_gallery_26_6764_363.png

Poll 8: Final Design

1-5 faces using SKULLS as pips 31

1-5 faces using SKULLS IN PIPS as pips 24

Edited by Brother Tyler
Added Poll 8 results

Q Workshop has provided me with some additional information that will affect the designs.

On a 16mm D6, the area that can actually be decorated is 12.5mm. The largest width of a painting surface (engraved and painted) is 1.8mm. The minimum distance between engraved areas is 0.35mm. The minimum engraving thickness is 0.14mm. All of those factors will impact what we can do with the design. Before I can even get to that, though, the basic orientation (poll 2) will drive things.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to get an idea of how many dice people are interested in. Here's some info from Q-Workshop:

50 identical 16 mm D6 - 2.60 USD per die

100 identical 16 mm D6 - 1.50 USD per die

500 identical 16 mm D6 - 0.91 USD per die

1000 identical 16 mm D6 - 0.64 USD per die

5000 identical 16 mm D6 - 0.45 USD per die

If you order minimum 300 pieces in each color combination, they will be priced together, not separately and we will just add a color change fee - 100 USD for each extra color scheme.

The price includes full customization (all faces) with adjusting your design to our manufacturing requirements, preparing a graphic visualization (3D render) of the dice, manufacturing, painting with one of the standard colors, finishing touch and quality control.

The price does not include the shipping cost. We use economic courier service, we ship from Poland.

Things to keep in mind:

We're going to have to factor in shipping from Poland to me (TEXAS!), and then shipping from me to you. What we might do is have a U.K. based member (probably WarriorFish, but potentially someone else) serve as the hub for all orders in Europe, Asia, and Africa (I would take the Americas, Australia, New Zealand, and Antarctica). That will depend on whether or not we realize a savings. Obviously, shipping outside of the Americas has the potential to get expensive.

You can see the dice color combinations above. Please provide an estimate of what you'd like using the following format:

- Red design on black die #
- White design on red die #
- Black design on white die #
- Bordowy design on sandy die #
- Black design on orange die #

Continent, Country, State/Province/whatever
I don't need full mailing addresses yet, and this isn't the actual order. All we're getting is an estimate of the quantities (I'm asking for the continent, country, etc. information so that I can begin researching shipping costs).

Please send the information to me via PM

Edited by Brother Tyler

Thanks to everyone that has submitted their estimates so far. I haven't replied to the vast majority of the PMs, but only because I'm too busy. I have, however, started a spreadsheet. Assuming I've copied everyone's orders accurately, here's the count:

- Red design on black die 444

- White design on red die 274

- Black design on white die 260

- Bordowy design on sandy die 469

- Black design on orange die 385

- Total dice estimated 1,832

So right now we're at $1.50 (USD) per die. If we can get the two highlighted combinations over the 300 mark (just a few more of each!), the price per die will be knocked down to $.64 (USD). If that happens, though, we'll also owe $400 because there are five total color combinations. That cost will be split among the members ordering (I'll try to figure out a way to pro-rate it so that people with smaller orders aren't paying more than the $1.50/die rate). With simple math, if we make it a charge per die, it would come out to a maximum of $.21 per die (or $.85 per die total, not including shipping and handling) - still cheaper than the $1.50 per die rate. And the more dice that are ordered, the lower that goes (just divide 400 by the total number of dice ordered). We need to get those two combinations over the 300 mark for that to happen, though.

I'll leave the estimate period open for another week or so to give everyone time.

Overnight update:

- Red design on black die 464

- White design on red die 334

- Black design on white die 416

- Bordowy design on sandy die 489

- Black design on orange die 415

Total dice estimated (so far): 2,118

So this drives the price down to $.64 per die, plus however we divvy up the $400 for the color combinations (as opposed to $1.50 per die). And then, of course, there's shipping and handling.

If we assume that we'll divide the $400 between all of the dice being ordered, that comes out to about $.19 per die (still a lot cheaper than $1.50 per die).

This drastic reduction in dice cost might allow some members to adjust their orders, presumably ordering more if their initial estimate was limited by the amount of money they could spend. I haven't included my own dice in the estimate, and I'm sure that others haven't submitted their estimates, either. While I doubt we'll hit the 5,000 mark (reducing cost of dice further to $.45), I'm hopeful.

I'll submit my total estimate to Q-Workshop next week, giving more time for members to adjust/submit estimates.