Iron Hands Log - Praevian

• 2 months later...

Well folks, hope you're all staying safe and well, it's been rather a while since I updated this log, but I'm currently in the grips of my dissertation, which is consuming all of my time. The end is in sight, however, and I've been able to snatch a couple of quick painting sessions, so I hope to be posting more updates soon. In the mean time, have a WiP of a Seeker:

med_gallery_71441_14877_98773.jpg

@Markus_ Thanks mate, I'm certainly very happy with the Immortal and the signals officer was where the scheme for the force was really nailed down.

@Johanhgg Cheers brother, though my output is not quite so prolific as yours, there will be more to come soon!

• 4 weeks later...

The Seekers are almost done now, just getting the bases sorted and sprayed, in the mean time, I've knocked up a few stragglers to finish off the squads I've been building:

med_gallery_71441_14877_8712.jpg

Final member of the Cataphractii (I ran out of chain, hence the long wait).

med_gallery_71441_14877_2662.jpg

Final member of the Seeker squad.

med_gallery_71441_14877_9075.jpg

A pair of machine-killer veterans, one chap left to make before the squad is done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Nearly a dozen men crowded around the reinforced barricades that formed security point alpha. Individually the hunched, dirty militiamen were no match for their Astartes foe, their simplistic firearms and weak, human muscles unable to penetrate the pitch-black ceramite of the Emperor’s Chosen. In groups, however, even these lowly troopers could pose a threat, one that was escalated by the addition of a defensive cannon to their armament. Within the barren confines of an orbital station, such a threat transitioned from slight to severe and the body count would rise accordingly. The Astartes were no cowards and their numbers were vast, but why waste men needlessly? Why waste time and resources in a bloody skirmish when another option remained available?

med_gallery_71441_14877_49034.jpg

A single solid thunk resounded down the corridor, deck plating seemed to tremble slightly, as if something of great weight had set down upon it. The soldiers looked at one another uneasily, a word from their commander quieted the unrest and they set their eyes back to their task. Again, a loud noise echoed down the hall, this time followed by another, and another, until a steady tattoo of impacts beat down upon the deck. As one, the mortals opened fire, pouring shot after shot down the straight passage before them, a whole minute went by before the commander raised his hand for a cease in the barrage. Nothing would have survived, of that he was certain, even their transhuman foe would be broken and torn by such an assault. Two men hurdled the barricades to check their comrades’ work. They took two steps before their enemy’s guns replied. Five giants strode forth from the smoke shrouded darkness, twin barrelled bolters roaring in their fists, tearing through the cowering opposition.

med_gallery_71441_14877_50843.jpg

Heavy cannon may pose a risk to power armour, but to the monstrous Cataphractii? It is as nothing.

Well, with the end of the academic year, my free time has now skyrocketed and it's time to bring the Iron Tenth to life!

@hushrong Indeed it is, I've been drawn by the lure of ages past and into the great civil war. The black is simply Abaddon black, heavily drybrushed with Vallejo gunmetal and then washed black, gives a nice sheen to the armour. I use the same metal for the trim, where it's more gritty and raw than GW alternatives.

@Pacific81 Cheers! I'm very happy with the chains, they just suit the Iron Hands so well, particularly the more brutal Cataphractii.

@Varyn Thanks, I'm really excited for this project! (My diss went very well and I've just secured a PhD position, for which I'm very excited.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LOCATION: Rendezvous point Epsilon-Gamma-Primus. Transit Stage V

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“My lord, repeated urgent requests for legion presence in the Gordian System.”

“Logistos, recall me the status of system XL887, designated Gordian.”

“Compliant.”

“For how long?”

“Nearly two score years, Terran standard. First export shipments are expected within the next rotation.”

“And yet we receive repeated urgent summons from this backwater. What is the substance of these messages?”

“There is no substance, purely the need for legionary aid with escalating desperation.”

“Very well, dispatch her sons. The rest of the fleet continues on course to meet our Lord.”

med_gallery_71441_14877_88488.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_16035.jpg

Logistos Mikel Arvos, attached to the 145th Expeditionary Fleet.

Logistos Arvos saluted and departed to convey the orders to the 44th Order. As he went he cast his mind back over the decades to the system’s initial compliance. A cluster of six rocky planets about a cold star, a vast moon belt providing mineral wealth and industrial value to the ever hungry forges of the Imperial war machine. It had not been a bloodless victory, nor an easy one. The men of that place, for they had found men, were held in sway to a fearsome xenos overlord, a being that exerted total psionic dominion across the whole region of space. It had been concluded that the beast had fled or was otherwise absent, as so no trace was ever found of it. Nevertheless, its mortal subjects were fanatically loyal, surging in wave after bloodied wave against the advancing Iron Hands.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another signals officer appears! I'm sure these guys were all over the place, especially amongst a legion like the Xth. I need to grab some wire or thin rod to repair his back pack, I would also like to go back and touch up his lenses and screens once I've improved my painting, as I find these very hit and miss.

@AHorriblePerson Cheers, I'm really happy with them. Aye going for a battered and dirty white makes the painting a lot easier and also suits how I see the legions, especially in the midst of the civil war.

@The Scorpion Ta! White and silver plates often feature in the Iron Hands, for example on knee pads of MKIV armour, or Terminator shoulders. Black transfers will show up nicely here. Also on command banners and vehicles, white stripes or fields are often used to break up all the black and provide some visual interest.

@Stix Aye, the chains really make these guys. Unfortunately the loincloths were tangled and messed up a bit when I spray primed them, but the shoulder areas stayed as I wanted them.

Edited by Pearson73

So first off, I may have to try that out. I am back on the hunt for a nice black recipe that won't kill me with ratio mixes and tons of steps. It looks great and I def want to try your way, especially seeing it on those cataphractii.

Speaking of which the Cataphractii look SWEET! The modeling is nice and the addition of the chain just adds that Medusan quality to them. The signal officer looks sweet as well! Please keep the minis and fluff coming!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Aragyr crept forwards through the shattered stumps of what had once been mighty pillars, spars of steel rebar reached out to snare his mud-caked greaves as he gestured his companions forwards. Though not a legion renowned for stealth or subtlety, the Iron Hands still acknowledged the power of pinpoint overwhelming strikes to decapitate an opposing force and eliminate key components of hostile war efforts. Seeker squad ‘Iron Resolve’ epitomised this style of war, infiltrating behind enemy lines and annihilating foes with salvoes of lethal plasma. Here, facing fellow Astartes amidst the ruins of a once mighty fortress, these methods were proving more valuable than ever before.

med_gallery_71441_14877_2011.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_43075.jpg

Finally got the Seekers painted up and bases, unfortunately the photos aren't great and don't quite do the squad justice, the heat staining on the weapons is more pronounced in person, as is the metallic sheen of the armour. Still feels good to get more chaps finished off though!

@Pacific81 Thank you! He's a really nice sculpt, I enjoy the more passive, or rather non-aggressive poses a lot.

@hushrong Aye, it's relatively quick and pretty easy; if the sheen ain't quite right, simply add another wash or drybrush! I'm very happy with the Cataphractii, gritty and brutal, just as they should be!

@Centurion Jay Thanks, it suits the legion's character so much better!

@Johanhgg Simply a heavy drybrush of Vallejo gunmetal over black undercoat, washed with black until you reach the desired sheen. I saw that you posted in the community section about Frater in the Uppsala area? I'm actually moving up there in about two months! Perhaps these lads can teach your World Eaters a lesson!

@Varyn Thanks! I figured another metallic colour was needed, more steel would have been lost and hidden all those cool details.

Oh? You are moving to Uppsala? Thats wonderful news! How come you move here? Sorry for OT question in your plog.

Ive restarted my world eaters to a simpler way of painting...my father passed away last Thursday :’( and I almost just stopped with this hobby, but it actually help me grieve, so continuing but a little easier rout..

So of course we have to battle!

Sorry again for stealing some space in your plog

Edited by Johanhgg

@Centurion Jay Exactly, of all the units in the force, I imagine the Seekers are coming in for resupply the least often; operating behind enemy lines and hunting high-value assets.

@Johanhgg I'm awfully sorry to hear that brother, I hope you and your family are doing okay. The hobby can be a really helpful aid for mental health and wellbeing. Indeed, I'm starting a PhD in mid-late August, so I'll be moving on over to Uppsala for the next few years.

@Cadmus Tyro Thank you! Even though the Xth are known for their almost simple approach to war, charging right up the middle and smashing through the enemy, they would still appreciate that failing to identify and neutalise key elements is a weakness. I'm sure you'd do a great job, it'd be interesting to see how you differentiate between Alpha Legion and Iron Hands within the same role.

Well, as you know, I'm hardly the most rapid painter, so perhaps a slow grow style series of games could work for folk? I'm looking forward to getting some games in!

:) no but i think slow sometimes is good. Im a rapid painter but that sometimes get me to a burn out-point, or after 50 models deciding the colour-scheme is wrong, you have seen me do that multiple times :)

The power pack of Garyon’s charger whined, the coils turning from dull red to glaring yellow-white before a beam of pure heat burst forth with an explosive ‘choom’. Nearly half a dozen of the motley scrum of workers and underhive dogs were incinerated, reduced to hot ash and smoke. Those not caught directly in the beam were burned severely by the explosive deflagration of their comrades.

med_gallery_71441_14877_18841.jpg

Sergeant Garyon of the Immortals.

The Sway had returned to the Gordian System and they had brought chaos in their wake. Hives and manufactora were in uproar as the psionic tendrils of the foul xenos race curled around the minds of the weak, inciting violence and panic wherever their touch was felt. Unlike the initial expedition to the system, the warriors of the 44th would come to meet the xenos in battle and, indeed, come to realise the magnitude of the threat they posed to humanity. Events of greater magnitude would, however, soon overshadow and obscure any warnings that could be given.

med_gallery_71441_14877_39555.jpg

A bit more work on my sergeant for a future Immortals squad, the highlights could have been pushed a bit more on the charger and his face could be redone, but I'm happy overall. There will be plenty more chargers coming up to practice highlighting with and I might spend time with some spare bare heads too.

@Johanhgg I get you there, though at the same time, speed is very handy for getting a playable force together!