Iron Hands Log - Praevian

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve got some marines ready for primer and paint so hopefully when I get some time I’m def putting your scheme to work!

As for the Seekers they look great. Still looking gritty and right to business. Also love seeing a squad rockin combi-meltas! And Garyon looks hard as nails. Love the white shield as that’s not something I’ve seen often personally. Also like that his hammer is strapped to his back. Looking forward to what’s coming next!

Thanks for the kind words guys, I'll be hoping to finish off some tacticals over the next few days to give some body to the force.

@bluntblade Aye, I like that the Iron Hands, especially after the death of Ferrus are very much not a 'nice' legion. They really embody the fact that the Astartes are built for one thing, the total and complete annihilation of the Emperor's enemies.

@Marshal Vespasian Indeed, I think the Heresy models really shine in the more gritty real style, not the sharp clean highlighted style we see from 'Eavy Metal.

@hushrong Sweet, I look forward to seeing them! The white shield and casings help the lads pop a bit and stop them just being a wall of dark colours, especially with the gritty bases.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gordia Secundus. He had thought never to see this world again, nor its parent system. Such was the path of the expeditionary fleets and Legiones Astartes. Once brought into compliance a world was left to Imperial Army garrison forces and the iterators and administrators of Terra. No use for transhuman conquerors on a world already shattered and subdued. Not so the Gordian system, xenos influences thought scoured and expelled had returned to lay claim to the system once again, driving the populace into a frenzy and toppling the nascent Imperial governance structures. Varitan and his squad locked their harnesses in place and checked the tactical data flooding into their helmet displays as the drop pod’s doors sealed and the launch countdown began.

med_gallery_71441_14877_5295.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_19519.jpg

Tactical Squad Alpha, under command of Sergeant Varitan.

Tactical squad Beta charged through the shattered remains of the hab complex, bolters roaring as they spat a hail of death, rounds pulping fleshy targets. ‘The flesh is weak, purge the treasonous scum!’ Bellowed sergeant Akov, unhooking a frag grenade from his belt and removing the pin. The blast brought down a section of wall and provided a line of sight into the adjacent alley; loyalist army troopers raised their las rifles, before realising their mistake. Saluting sharply, they continued forward, local knowledge paired with Astartes strength forming a formidable combination and hastening the insurgency’s end.

med_gallery_71441_14877_62906.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_45896.jpg

Tactical Squad Beta, under command of Sergeant Akov.

Well that's twenty grunts all painted up and based, there will probably be more to come in the future, hopefully MKII if I can get my hands on some. Next up will be some command and auxiliary units!

@The Scorpion I don't think I'll be using many transfers, as I prefer the sculpted pads. That said, many folk incorporate white and silver plates into their Iron Hands, which make a great backdrop for any black icons that would be lost in the body of their plate.

@Centurion Jay Cheers mate! I was very happy with Garyon and I'm looking forward to building him a squad of Immortals to lead in the future.

@Varyn Thank you! The gold is a nice way to differentiate some of the cool details in the sculpt from the black and iron of the main armour plate, fun to age and weather with blue washes too.

Merion drove his blade downwards into the neck of the felled traitor, the engine screamed as the razor teeth ground through ceramite and plasteel, into the spine of the warrior below. Gore fountained from the ragged wound, so different to the cuts the Apothecary typically made in the bodies of his fellow Astartes. How times had changed…

med_gallery_71441_14877_4969.jpg

Apothecary Merion.

Still, the World Eaters had ever been straining at the leash, teetering for decades on the edge of madness and atrocity. For almost as many years there had been voices demanding permission to end this blight on the honour of the Imperium and the Emperor of mankind. Well now the order had been given, the savages had been branded traitor and the sanction given. No quarter would be asked for and none given in return, this would be a brutal war, and none more fitted to prosecute it than the Iron Tenth. Hard, unyielding iron would meet the frothing hounds of Angron and crush them.

@hushrong Cheers! I'll admit it was a struggle to keep them looking interesting after the first ten marines, though it's good to see 30k coming to plastic kits, they are a bit limited.

med_gallery_71441_14877_28582.jpg

Tactical Captain Carros, 144th Company, Iron Hands Legion.

Carros hewed through the traitors with massive overhead strokes, his monstrous blade tearing through metal and flesh alike. Slain Astartes of the Iron Warriors legion littered the command room of the central hub of the planet’s defences, their dull silver plate blending in with the utilitarian prefabricated defence modules, forming an uneven carpet from the previously perfectly smooth floor. Blood slicked the walls and ran in rivulets down Carros’ own armour, glazing the dark iron red. Static hissed on the vox as his battered helm communicator struggled to connect to the command network. A sharp click indicated success and he spoke one harsh word. “Compliance.”

A nice simple Centurion, or perhaps veteran sergeant, wielding what has to be one of my favourite weapons.

@Varyn Thanks, though the apothecaries' robes are originally white, I doubt they would remain so for long, I treated them like I do chainblades, treating them to heavy stippling of blood red and dirt browns.

@Pacific81 Cheers! Aye, I can't see the legions being the most tender of nurses!

Edited by Pearson73

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well then folks, it's been a bit of a while since I've posted. Hobby time has been on and off since I've moved, plus the old-photo setup had to be abandoned, though I'll be fixing a new one up soon. For now, here are some gore soaked teasers of what's up next for my Iron Tenth:

med_gallery_71441_14877_153287.jpg

The Sway had been purged from the fell marshes of Cortio, their mortal followers cleansed from the skies, seas and land, but yet their malign influence lingered on in the Gordian sector. One of their most cunning, or perhaps their most cowardly remained ensconced within what men called 'The Mountain'. No natural spire of rock this, no peak borne of geology and plate tectonics, but rather some twisted and foul monolith, towering above the dusty plains from which it had torn itself. Whilst the bulk of the fleet's forces rooted out the last remaining strongholds and forts, fully five-hundred astartes assembled before the dark rock. Scant two-hundred would return, bloodied and battered, but claiming victory over the last xenos monstrosity.

med_gallery_71441_14877_68306.jpg

Violent and aggressive, these veterans prefer the brutal crush of close combat.

med_gallery_71441_14877_38377.jpg

Blades shatter, blood spurts, iron triumphs over flesh.

med_gallery_71441_14877_46298.jpg

Bolters roar and boom, tearing armoured plate asunder.

Those few survivors, these last 'men under the mountain' would remain forever changed by their experience, marking their armour with markings and sigils to honour the fallen.

And so I'm back, more or less! This time with some close combat veterans who will be equipped with flamers, chainblades and power swords. Though not the most competitive choices, they seemed fun as a unit that will help clear out objectives for my tactical squads to guard. Besides, they were great fun to build, I just need some era-appropiate flamers to finish them off!

• 3 weeks later...

med_gallery_71441_14877_35528.jpg

Iron Captain Voljan, 'The Wrathful'.

“Cut the dogs down!” Roared Iron Captain Voljan, swinging out of the Rhino’s top hatch. His chosen warriors spilled forth from the side and rear hatches, bolters blazing and flamers casting torrents of scorching promethium into the foe. “At them!” Axe crackling with lethal energies, he charged towards the foe, the veterans at his side drawing blades of their own, or continuing to gun down traitors, firing from the hip. A sergeant of the World Eaters paused momentarily, as if taken aback by the sight of the Iron Hands sallying forth from their shieldwall, before his face cracked into a twisted smile. Roaring his approval and brandishing his axe in challenge, the son of Angron charged to meet the onrushing loyalists.

med_gallery_71441_14877_40629.jpg

Some painting has been done for the Veterans shown previously, but as ever I've been taken over by the construction bug! This chap is probably going to fufill all sorts of roles in my army lists, Chaplain, Centurion and Warmonger being the most likely. He'll probably be hanging out with the Veterans.

@bluntblade Thanks, the brutality and hate of the Iron Hands is something I want to really push in this project. I don't think the legion was ever particularly forgiving, but after Isstvan I think they all probably went a bit savage.

@Johanhgg Thanks bud!

• 1 month later...

med_gallery_71441_14877_26939.jpg

Hellish fires crackled and twisted, casting a sickly green light over the walls and filling the air with the toxic stench of burning flesh and forbidden chemicals. Normally restricted to use by the Destroyer companies alone, phosphex was a crawling horror unleashed only in the most desperate of wars against the most abominable foes. This was not such a war, no battle against terrible xenos or ancient constructs, but rather a campaign to cleanse the taint of treachery from a ruined world. In a galaxy torn apart by betrayal, the old rules had been cast to the wayside and forbidden weapons removed from vaults long sealed. Voljan relished this change in circumstances and the opportunity to unleash new punishments upon the traitorous scum who had slain his own father.

med_gallery_71441_14877_67440.jpg

Finished off this chap! Well, his base needs extending to 32mm, but otherwise he's done. I'm super happy with his face, though I did chicken out of doing his eyes. The phosphex grenade didn't come out so well though.

• 1 month later...

Well then, it's been quite a while since I've posted here, though progress has been made! I'm currently finishing off a Land Raider to transport the legion's finest and I'm using it to try weathering pigments for the first time. This is a big experiment, but it's a lot of fun. Here is where we're at right now, does anyone have any advice, comments or criticism?

med_gallery_71441_14877_68193.jpg

med_gallery_71441_14877_131396.jpg