Primaris Ultramarines - painting along with WH Conquest

Kenzaburo

thanks, you two! I'm glad to hear people seem to like them, even though it's "only Ultramarines". :)

I added a 360 degree video on my instagram which I can't embed here, it seems. But if you're interested, here's the direct link: https://www.instagram.com/p/B_khxt-IGzo/

I finally took that squad shot of the first 5 Intercessors:

Primaris-Intercessor-Squad.jpg

Next week I'll probably have the next Reiver ready. I'm also simultaneously working on the Warhammer Conquest special Lt Calsius mini. I'm painting him to a slightly higher level to see where I can take the colour scheme painting-wise.

I've also got some fluff for the army in mind, that I might write down sometime in the next months. It depends a bit on how good my Captain and Veteran conversions will turn out. I'm really not that great at converting and never really enjoyed it much, I always left that to my brother (he's a conversions master).

Once the Lt is done, I will take a short leave from the Ultramarines to paint something for the Imperial Agents in the upcoming painting challenge, after that, I'll be back on the boys in blue. Right now this might shape up to be the first fully painted army I've owned after more than 20 years in the hobby. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Some lovely looking models. I suppose you’ve hit a milestone of sorts as you’ve got a fully painted Primaris Kill Team.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thank you! Yes, I realized that, too. Even though I doubt this one's gonna be very effective.

Nevertheless it's a milestone I'm quite happy with.

And here's Reiver Number 2.

Reiver2-Front.jpg

Reiver2-Back.jpg

Somehow the blue came out different in the pictures, something I've noticed more and more recently. I'll try to show what I mean in another post in the next days - depending on my lighting and the background, the mini will vary dramatically in the picture. It's so weird.

Thanks, Bjorn. :) As I said earlier, I found that I like painting Phobos armor. The last of the 3 Reivers is also done - I will post him later today. I've moved on to the Inceptors now, my first Gravis armor - also fun but a little too much edges that need highlighting, especially with all those clasps and joint discs on the legs. I like the bulk of it though.

Thank you! I've tried to improve the crispness of the edge highlights with each mini - and looking at the inceptor I'm currently painting compared to the first intercessor Sarge I seem to be improving. :) Still a long way to go till Eavy Metal level of detailing, but those guys paint at least 8h a day, 5 days a week. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The Reiver squad is done. Here's the 3rd Reiver:

Reiver3.jpg

And here's the final squad together:

Reiver-Squad.jpg

I'm now putting the last finishing touches on Lt Calsius and am also working on the Inceptor Sgt. So those will be up next, probably some time next week. :)

Thanks Bjorn.

I mentioned the Inceptor I'm currently working on, so I thought I might need to show a WIP shot of him:

Inceptor-Wi-P.jpg

Gravis armor is kinda fun to paint, really. So much so, that I might try a little conversion soon. I will post about that idea some time later this week, after I've checked some bits. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, folks, huge frustrated rant incoming:

I've been trying to put together the Primaris librarian and I basically am about to throw it in the bin. I just couldn't get the robes to line up properly, and for the love of god couldn't find out why. The legs were in the right positions, the front robe partjust wouldn't sit flush on the torso. There was no sprue, seam or anything in the way though. I still got it attached though, but when I tried attaching the back and front half, the robes just wouldn't come together. They'd sit flush on one side and gape on the other. Again I checked all parts to see what might be misaligned, but all sat as it was supposed to. Dryfitting had worked up to this point.

I've been trying to find the mistake, then just glue it all together and in the end nothing would really fit nicely. It's the first time I had this happen with a recent GW model. To make matters worse, due to increasing frustration and parts not sitting flush or coming apart again, there's now superglue all over the detailed front. What the hell? 

I still got a backup librarian (they were 10 euros a piece with Conquest^^), but had this happened with the 32 Euros model, I'd be screaming bloody murder!

That reminds me of old models i used to get, especially the old metal ones. Hopefully the next one will work out better, but its always a shame having to strow away plastic. Maybe keep him and use him for spares :) 

I've found that I have had trouble with pushfit models and gaps when I put glue on the pegs or the holes the pegs go into.  So that's something to be aware of - though, in your case it sounds like the misalignment occurred before any glue was used.