Iron Hands Augmetics: How Much is Too Much?

Aothaine

Hey everyone!

Going to be starting on my Iron Hands in a few weeks/months and I was curious what you guys thought about the quantity of augmetics in a squad. I'm really looking to figure out the right balance to make the squad look sufficiently augmented but not overly so. I know that Iron Hands like to replace parts of themselves and I'm totally down for that. But from what I've read so far it is usually only the most ancient of Iron Hands that have massive replacements. 

For example, my Primaris Ancient is going to have an robotic arm and leg with the robot head from the Primaris Iron Hands Sprue. But when it comes to units I'm a little confused on exactly how much to add. The left hands of all but scouts should be robotic and I'll need to find a replacement part for those hands and I also want to mix it up a little bit in regards to the rest of the body and try and make each marine unique and have a back story. 

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's thoughts on this matter! Thank you!

As a very rough gauge I'd say look to have one per model? Helps make them look Iron Hand but doesn't beast your bionic bits :wink: Can go a bit more on the veteran and characters as you please :smile.: Nothing wrong with not having every model have a visible augment too, as things tend to work on a squad level so this is always an option if you don't want to go to town on every model or need to spread bits across more models :tongue.:

What, outside of what I listed below, would you consider to be an augmentation?

Head(eye replacement or half skull)

Arms &/or Hands

Theigh, Shin, Foot

I know I listed a lot.. just curious if I'm missing something. Like is there a good representation of an augmented chest?

Anything bionic is an augment right? The norm for a generic Marine is unaugmented, so anything that is counts :P Chests are harder to do as that means more replacement so it's never been a thing (as it's easier to swap out heads and arms they're what we've been given most). Adding things like additional pipes and bits to the chest would work but I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Anything bionic is an augment right?

"Augmetic" is the generic term for bionic limbs and organs, if the Black Library novels are any indication. Dan Abnett distinguishes the term from "prosthetic" in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels; I think the difference is a prosthetic is unpowered, lacking the neural interface allowing one to use an augmetic as if it were a flesh-and-blood limb or organ.

Chests are harder to do as that means more replacement so it's never been a thing (as it's easier to swap out heads and arms they're what we've been given most).

Clothing- including breastplates and other armor- can conceal augmetic organs in the chest.

Adding things like additional pipes and bits to the chest would work

This is a good way to indicate someone has augmetic organs in his chest.

• 3 weeks later...
I also kind of figure that most bionic limbs are still proportioned like the original and fit inside the power armor. I know the visual of robot limb attached to power armor is totally Rule of Cool, it is just a tad silly for me. I still use those bits but a bit more sparingly (more as say battlefield replacements for a lost limb before a proper bionic can be custom fitted or such).

There was a bit of fluff, can't remember where exactly, that stated that Marines tend to show augmetic limbs as a point of pride, like a battle-scar, "this is what I've survived and am still fighting" sort of thing. Guess it depends on the mentality of the Chapter, and the reason for the limb being augmetic.

What made him a special case was that the bionics couldn't interface properly with his nervous system; as an Astartes, he was almost useless.

He was only useless because his legion culture enforced it. At the least he could have used a heavy weapon followed around by ammo carrier servitors. An IH or IW would have gotten a cortex controller to lead combat constructs to still be relevant re: Narik. BA guy was a former captin I believe, so would have qualified for such enhancements.

• 1 month later...

Simple answer for any IH; you can never have enough! The Flesh is Weak!!! (I hoping to come back as a Thallax! )

In all seriousness when modeling though a 50/50 mix looks best. Maybe an arm, leg, and helm, and then the rest carapace. Guitar strings look great as wires!

Edited by Yosef Hausakluif