Reactive defenses...

9x19 Parabellum

So just to confirm...there is basically no reactive damage mitigation for vehicles (except Duty Eternal for Dreadnougths and Armor of Contempt for mortal wounds on vehicles).  Is that correct?

I played against a buddy of mine using the new T'au supplement last night which strengthened the Broadside Heavy Rail Rifles and Riptide's Ion Accelerator. All I could do was watch sadly as he deleted 2 of my vehicles on turn 1.  Can't get out of range of them, can't get out of line of sight of them, and can't make any armor saves against them.  No more invuln saves, and the 6+FnP just isn't enough against HRR that do min 3 damage and IA that does d3+3 damage.  Ironstone is useless if you take more than 1 vehicle.

I'm surprised that between the main codex, IH codex and FnF, there is nothing to help reduce damage during your opponent's shooting phase for vehicles.

Master of forge isnt reactive though. You gotta live through a shooting phase in order to repair your vehicles.

Ironstone really only works if you have 1 vehicle.

Pretty much why I tend to bring just one Repulsor(Executioner or transport) and a Redemptor.

That way the stone can babysit the repulsor, while the dread half-dmg strats any stuff coming at it.

Your only other solution, if your terrain is not allowing LoS blocking, is volume. Bringing 2-3 of each "key vehicle" you rely on. Sadly.

I was always a proponent of them jacking up Feirros to 190ish points and leaving his invuln aura for vehicles because I face a staggering amount of AP -4 & -5 myself. I was saying that from day 1, even when he had the invuln, and was far too cheap for what he was. But they left him cheap, and stripped the effect from vehicles, sadly.

All of that said, if your table doesn't have good (hell, even one piece) of full LoS blocking terrain to block those rail rifles and such on AT LEAST turn 1, you guys need to change up your table designs.

Edited by Dark Legionnare

Master of forge isnt reactive though. You gotta live through a shooting phase in order to repair your vehicles.

Ironstone really only works if you have 1 vehicle.

Pretty much why I tend to bring just one Repulsor(Executioner or transport) and a Redemptor.

That way the stone can babysit the repulsor, while the dread half-dmg strats any stuff coming at it.

Your only other solution, if your terrain is not allowing LoS blocking, is volume. Bringing 2-3 of each "key vehicle" you rely on. Sadly.

I was always a proponent of them jacking up Feirros to 190ish points and leaving his invuln aura for vehicles because I face a staggering amount of AP -4 & -5 myself. I was saying that from day 1, even when he had the invuln, and was far too cheap for what he was. But they left him cheap, and stripped the effect from vehicles, sadly.

All of that said, if your table doesn't have good (hell, even one piece) of full LoS blocking terrain to block those rail rifles and such on AT LEAST turn 1, you guys need to change up your table designs.

Yeah, there are actually several routes they could have gone with Feirros. One would have been as you said. Another, either with him or the Ironstone, is for it to have the bubble affect, but only works on round 1.  That would get you through the 1st turn alpha strike silliness which 40k is so shackled to. 

LoS blocking terrain is hit or miss. Both my home table and the FLGS I play at has plenty of terrain to utilize, but you can't always guarantee that you will have a deployment zone with a big enough piece of terrain to block LoS from all angles of shooting.  In any event, I don't think it's an asset you can or should count on.  It's a little bit like the "and then a miracle happens" flowchart meme. 

You should absolutely be able to rely on LOS blocking terrain. Unless your playing a narrative match on planet bowling alley, there is absolutely no reason a table should ever have the two armys able to see 100% of each other.

What War Angel said. Even our little shop has at least two big chunks of LOS, one in each deployment zone. This is ESPECIALLY useful for stuff that can fly, like repulsors, impulsors, etc... As it justs moves through it on your turn.

We have some big foam rock formations we use, and if it's a big 2v2 we'll make a bigger LoS wall out of stacked connexes (the killtram ones) or even put a couple bastions next to each other saying "no seeing through the gap" if we're short. You and your lads can definitely make it work. :)

Don't ever let an IG or Tau player tell you otherwise. ;p

I play WW1 style krieg, and I always make sure my opponents have equal LoS (or a bit more sometimes) on their side. Nobody wants to stare down a guard or Tau gunline turn 1 with no hope. That's just anti-fun.

Edited by Dark Legionnare