Battle Reports and WIP Thread: Taskforce 141; US Military Theme

Hiroitchi

So Update for today. I finished my Valkyrie Squad.. more to follow with the rest of the collection. Thank you all for your encouragment

gallery_61925_16336_224292.jpg

I apologize @pork chop express:

The green I used are Tamyia OD Green Spray and Militarum Green. For the inside I used Nurgle Green and then gave it a nuln oil wash. So here is the complete collage of my Valkyrie.

Hobby update:

gallery_61925_16336_216766.jpg

Nearing the end of this force... 1x ten man squad of kasrkins to go and 1x kasrkin command squad. I just finished their Taurox.

gallery_61925_16336_42129.jpg

This here is the command squad primed and a heavy support squad for a different detachment I am working on for Taskforce 141 collection.

gallery_61925_16336_20851.jpg

Made these decals today. I think I got the process down pack. I am going to redo the pilot names for the Valkyries to make em look proper. oh and speaking of proper. if you look close you can probably guess what my next build project for my collection. stay tuned. I will also be posting a battle report.

CDR M. Metcalf and LCDR R. Weatherly share the call sign "Viper". The flight crew's decals may need revision.

I recognize some names and call signs from Top Gun. Again, you have good taste in art.

oh I like both characters and I like the call sign Viper more than Joker. I did that so I can choose which will be the commander of the Marauder

So I have been busy the past week since my last post. I started the week with the intent on finishing some infantry, but push came to shove I shifted my priorities to a different project part way through because of a package I received on Thursday the 10th.

gallery_61925_16336_355219.jpg

Infantry of the MEU for Taskforce 141

gallery_61925_16336_15525.jpg

I started to work on the last two squads of my Kasrkin collection. a 10 man Plasmagun squad and a Command Squad of Flamers.

gallery_61925_16336_20688.jpg

10 man Plasmagun Squad primed.

gallery_61925_16336_290887.jpg

OSL for Plasmagun Kasrkins

gallery_61925_16336_144482.jpg

Lets give these Command Squad some fuel tanks

gallery_61925_16336_207907.jpg

OSL glow close up...

gallery_61925_16336_129451.jpg

Behold My count as Tempestus Scions US Themed Kasrkin collection

gallery_61925_16336_33041.jpg

Coming it hot with "Ride of the Valkyries playing"

gallery_61925_16336_60044.jpg

And this is what delayed the MEU Infantry I started last Saturday.

gallery_61925_16336_41121.jpg

After a good bath and wash of the resin, the pieces of the Marauder are drying.

gallery_61925_16336_296257.jpg

Test fitting parts..

gallery_61925_16336_79595.jpg

The pilot (LT C. Blair) and the Marauder's Navigator (LT T. Marshall)

gallery_61925_16336_148952.jpg

The Navigators Console finished.

gallery_61925_16336_166363.jpg

The cockpit complete with decals.

gallery_61925_16336_31991.jpg

Base OD Green sprayed on using a Tamyia can

gallery_61925_16336_24684.jpg

On the home stretch

gallery_61925_16336_160709.jpg

Right side of the Marauder

gallery_61925_16336_109.jpg

Destroyer conversion option

gallery_61925_16336_185491.jpg

Yeah I like that...

so I hope you guys like the photo dump of my progress the last couple of days. Stay tuned.

Your rate of progress here is most impressive. Definitely putting my pile of shame to shame. Well done! I particularly like the interior consoles on the marauder. Super cool. That's such an awesome model.

I also think the red plasma works well with your color scheme. I do like seeing people branch out from the standard blue sometimes.

Your painting skills are most impressive. The plasmaguns are well done.

Thanks man. I am learning with each project. Still have to get off my butt and actually use a wet palate to thin my paints and do things proper. lol

Your rate of progress here is most impressive. Definitely putting my pile of shame to shame. Well done! I particularly like the interior consoles on the marauder. Super cool. That's such an awesome model.

I also think the red plasma works well with your color scheme. I do like seeing people branch out from the standard blue sometimes.

Thanks man..... wait till what you see next. I agree with the blue plasma.. I got that down and now I have to work on other OSL colors.

Currently on the work bench that's been delivered since last Thursday 07/09/2020 Three models from Forge World a Marauder Bomber and two Vultures. Given the state of Forge World these days I'm gonna try to grab stuff that I can and sadly miss out on what I can't financially purchase. I missed out on the punisher cannons by a day. So without further adieu, here is my WIP to near completion of my Marauder and Vultures over the course of a week.

gallery_61925_16336_1263.jpg

So the base colors are finished here and I get a good idea of where to add details or make certain details pop.

gallery_61925_16336_98812.jpg

Started to add specific decals to certain panels and bring those out and make parts of it make sense I guess

gallery_61925_16336_171995.jpg

Weathering has been applied here, waiting for it to be varnished to protect the decals.

gallery_61925_16336_110072.jpg

The front auto cannons have been painted and detailed.

gallery_61925_16336_239395.jpg

here are the side gunner build for magnets and covering up the hole I made. I wanted to see what angle works the best. Sadly I went through 4 plastic autocannons at this point. lol.

gallery_61925_16336_26669.jpg

now that I am satisfied, it was at this point I was asked how the gunners were going to see, so I solved it by painting that specific panel like a window. Thank you Space Above and Beyond.

gallery_61925_16336_124353.jpg

While waiting for payday for more Matte Varnish, I started to work on these a couple of days ago. Its the resin parts for the 2x Vultures that was in the package from last week taking a warm dish soap bath. then a scrub after.

gallery_61925_16336_61822.jpg

Oddly the build on these guys was fairly quick the hardest part of this was cutting the large chunks of resin without ruining any detail. After the first engine block the 2nd was easier. Got a decent saw technique down. Note: patience goes a long way and wish I have a dremel because using the saw was nerve wrecking.

gallery_61925_16336_289011.jpg

now I did this build differently, I had worked on the body first prior to the pilots. Speaking of the pilots and the crew compartment, I painted them up like top gun characters. Notice Maverick, Goose, Iceman, and Slider. Looking back I should have made decals for the helmets, but I wanted to test my painting skills. I think I did okay... lol.

gallery_61925_16336_203877.jpg

To put the pilots into the Resin nose piece, you have to insert the modified crew pieces front end in first. Remove and smooth out the side nubs first prior to insertion. When placing the crew, match the front console nub with the crevice of the resin. It should match perfectly and push the pilots in from front to rear. Here I made a straight forward and surprisingly easy to do HUD for the pilot.

gallery_61925_16336_175803.jpg

Added more Cockpit details and well so far so good. there are a few edges I want to fix but nothing like a little sponge stippling to mimic paint chips can't fix.

I hope you guys enjoyed this week's update. I tried to explain what's happening with each picture so that if you are building these. It may help. C and C is always welcome....

Wow man! I actually said that out loud when I looked at your Marauder and Vultures. No lie! You stated that the Vultures were a pretty straight forward build. How so? Just asking for clarification. I don't have any problems working with Forge World resin for infantry and such, but I've been a bit leery of taking the plunge on the vehicles. I imagine that the plastic components make it a bit easier, i.e. the plastic tail booms are straight.

How was the build on the Marauder? Did you have to fill a lot of gaps and such?

Wow man! I actually said that out loud when I looked at your Marauder and Vultures. No lie! You stated that the Vultures were a pretty straight forward build. How so? Just asking for clarification. I don't have any problems working with Forge World resin for infantry and such, but I've been a bit leery of taking the plunge on the vehicles. I imagine that the plastic components make it a bit easier, i.e. the plastic tail booms are straight.

How was the build on the Marauder? Did you have to fill a lot of gaps and such?

Thanks man.. I have put in alot of work on that baby. I might paint over The Memphis Belle to make it look more prominent. The build was rather interesting as the sculpt that I received hardly had any gaps or warping for a Forge World Model. The only really gaps were the wings to the fuselage. However I did nothing with any of the gaps I have seen. lol.

As for the Vultures. The toughest part was the chunks of resin to cut off the engine block. The only plastic parts of the vulture build was the tail booms, the wings, the nose landing gear, the canopy build, and the cockpit. Now in order to fit the cockpit into the resin nose, you'd have to trim the numbs. Youll see it if you buy the kit. The kit however does not come with wing mounted lascannons or multi lasers. The build will only have MRP and missiles. Sadly no punisher cannon kits either.

Wow, all the detail you put on... everything, is stunning. Just great!

But wait there is more... lol

gallery_61925_16336_9836.jpg

I made magnetized options for the landing gear. I left the landing gear build along and just pulled it off the marauder. I drilled in holes on the fuselage and landing gear housing so that I can have easy access to remove the landing gear to depict that its in flight when on the flight stand. However after looking at the "flight mode" the empty landing gear housing looked un-slightly to me. I used spare plasticard that I had used for my turret uparmored build for my MRAP conversion and built some spare skids. I put magnets on them too.

gallery_61925_16336_181746.jpg

After painting it up and I am satisfied with the position of the up position skids, they looked empty. So I added decals that only the military can understand like why is there a sign that you cant read when the landing gear is down. well why not especially, I just didn't want more empty space on the belly.

gallery_61925_16336_178228.jpg

I looked at my old Storm Talon model from five years ago thats just collecting dust on the shelf. I saw that the base looks cool and looking worn, so I decided well my Marauder needs a base. Here is how I updated it cleaned it up and well now I even varnished it just in case.

gallery_61925_16336_122307.jpg

Here is my Marauder Bomber equipped like a Marauder Destroyer with the latest modifications applied. Oh and I even built a belly gunner too using a Storm Raven Assault Cannon Turret. BTW its also magnetized. lol The missiles on the wings are magnetized too.

gallery_61925_16336_185036.jpg

You'd thing I had discovered this already, but here are paneling accents made by Tamiya. Its pretty straight forward to use and well comes with a built in fine brush.

gallery_61925_16336_4004.jpg

This here is an example of a comparison with using the Tamyia Accent and one without.

gallery_61925_16336_50240.jpg

Here is the Vulture Paneled and weathered..

gallery_61925_16336_140141.jpg

A closer look on the weathering and paneling. I repeated the same process with the other vulture not pictured.

gallery_61925_16336_68430.jpg

Paneled, weather, varnished, and done.

gallery_61925_16336_338948.jpg

My US themed Astra Militarum collection so far 7/19/2020

gallery_61925_16336_31829.jpg

Closer look on my Kasrkins...

gallery_61925_16336_309477.jpg

I also added some light effect on the Marauder as well.