List of Space Marines releases since the last Tyranids one

Kraken

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe comparing to Space Marines isn't the best, given every army will pale in comparison especially these days... :ermm: I have the older Warrior models which is a notable difference to the current ones, what a difference 13 years makes (2000 to 2013)! Though the bits are largely identical it is good to have them all in the same space (I have been using the gaunt box devourers, as they're the same sprue). Would be good to see these improvements made elsewhere, though I'd expect better now as this was seven years ago :wink:

It feels like the Troop choices are what languishes most as nids are not alone here, perhaps as they are "less exciting" but hopefully GW rectifies this soon. The gaunts are good overall as a design, but some more variety in posing/arms would go a long way along with the standard improvements from sculpting/technology a new design would bring :smile.:

If the gaunts need anything it's better balance. The way the Hormagaunt arms are sculpted it's very easy to build one so it won't actually stand up. They do still have the weird two-part head that tends to leave an odd gap right down the middle of the face too.

Overall though the big problem is that a new kit raises the price of a unit and Gaunts are something you're likely to want a lot of.

The kit that I'd most like to see refreshed is the Genestealers, mostly to bring their look more into line with the rest of the army. Everything else has all this ridged armor plate and Stealers don't. It makes them stick out, and not in a good way.

Yes, it is hard to miss the Hormagaunt issues once you have done a few (I have Hormagaunts #23-30 on my to-do...). The head gap isn't too bad as they are a horde unit but definitely shouldn't be there. I'm not sure how they could sort the balance but I imagine new sculpts would have more dynamic poses that probably simply avoid the issue. Could do a lot, like gaunts about to leap or sort of "mid gallop"?

I also noticed how the stealer carapace looks different (#1-10 also on the to-do list) and after some reflection I decided it was probably fine. Genestealers are a bit different to the other creatures so this is would help them stand out. That said as noted I've not built one yet, so I may end up changing my mind once I've painted them :tongue.:

The kit that I'd most like to see refreshed is the Genestealers, mostly to bring their look more into line with the rest of the army. Everything else has all this ridged armor plate and Stealers don't. It makes them stick out, and not in a good way.

I get what you mean, however Genestealers have always been a separate breed to Nids - If you look at the 2nd ed models, they really didnt have the characteristic nid chitin plates, the current sprue and the Space Hulk models started to add some modern tyranid style aesthetic to them, to tie them in, but I feel stealers dont have to look like a "Tyranid Proper" if that makes sense? They're a lot less well armoured allowing them to flex, bend and sneak into places and hide. 

But then you remember that Lictors exist as purpose-built infiltrators, and they have significantly more armor plate than Genestealers do.

I do get it, Stealers have distinct lore separate from the hive fleets. What it feels more appropriate is for the current model to stay with GSC (the precursor bio-weapon overlaying it's template on a host) while Stealers built directly by a hive fleet get a different 'pure strain' model.

• 1 month later...

As a wishlist, I would like to see:

3 model ‘vore’ plastic kit. Pyrovore / biovore builds and perhaps a 3rd new option or weapon options for the existing 2.

3 model lictor kit with the option to build a deathleaper. Alt build or weapon options.

This would bring the range into full plastic territory if you don’t count red terror. From there:

More special character ie parasite, doom, red terror

Fw ports ie malanthrope, shrikes, sky slashers

New Gaunts would be nice but I don’t see what the angle would be unless they include more weapons.

A terrain piece ie spore chimney

A lord of war ie hierodule / dominatrix in plastic

What about Eldar, they have the oldest models in the game still iirc.

Grey Knights haven't had models since 5th edition, sorry aside from Voldus. We have the same 3 kits.

At least looking at nids, it's not like they have upgraded armour from MkIII to Mk X or something, their sculpts are quite detailed and natural enough that they don't really age.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but the nids range has aged well. Aside from missing units, or new ones that haven't been created yet, it's difficult for them to redo the nids models.

And it's the same with GK, we've aged well enough, that the scuplts look unique and clean and futuristic inline with the fluff/era.

Where as Eldar, some of their kits are so old.

It’s true that the nid look is still good. It aged well like you said.

It might be more a case of recutting certain models / optimising the space on the sprue. (Some kits have extremely annoying moldlines. ) But he cost to do that is probably not worth it.

But I’m secretily hoping on a complete new bug mutation after snacking on that juicy new primaris stuff. :)

In terms of model releases though, it’s pretty ridiculous.

I’m sure if they released new ranges of Xenos armies, you’d get that impulsive hype buyers frenzy and surely you’d make your investment back plus profit.

I’d like to see statistics for the Necron sales graph after their revamp for 9th edition. I’m sure a revamp for other iconic xenos races, elder and nids would have the same outcome.

I’m sick of the primaris brown nosing though. Is sickens me to the point where I want to play the furthest thing from marines.

I’m not informed enough to know that. It might be they are gently pushing out the last old nids and will replace them with new kits. Who knows. Think necrons sold quite a bit :)

There are a substantial amount of kits A ‘online order only’ and some that feel out of stock like forever.

Might be the repackaging maybe

Yes, it is hard to miss the Hormagaunt issues once you have done a few (I have Hormagaunts #23-30 on my to-do...). The head gap isn't too bad as they are a horde unit but definitely shouldn't be there. I'm not sure how they could sort the balance but I imagine new sculpts would have more dynamic poses that probably simply avoid the issue. Could do a lot, like gaunts about to leap or sort of "mid gallop"?

I also noticed how the stealer carapace looks different (#1-10 also on the to-do list) and after some reflection I decided it was probably fine. Genestealers are a bit different to the other creatures so this is would help them stand out. That said as noted I've not built one yet, so I may end up changing my mind once I've painted them :tongue.:

whats the issue with the hormagaunts?

That's a good ways up the thread, but basically it's really easy to build a Hormagaunt so it doesn't balance on it's base, and their head is in two pieces with a weird vertical split down the middle of the face instead of being split like the warriors with the face as one piece.

That's a good ways up the thread, but basically it's really easy to build a Hormagaunt so it doesn't balance on it's base, and their head is in two pieces with a weird vertical split down the middle of the face instead of being split like the warriors with the face as one piece.

So do how do you fix it? Some green stuff to fill the joint or? Is it glaringly obvious? I tried to look at the products on GW website, I couldn't see anything?

It's not a big issue, individual models do get lost in the swarm - as they should :tongue.: I found that a bit of extra attention when cleaning the model and preparing it for priming you can even it out on the carapace bits in particular without too much hassle. If you look at some of the non-GW images for them you can spot a few signs, they're also a good example of how it's not especially noticeable with a little bit of work :smile.:

Haha, I'm sooo late to the party, but I just want to let you know that I find the subject/content of the thread equally amusing, inspiring, unsettling and aggravating. I mean, I don't follow GW's releases and a couple of weeks ago I joked about SM releases being so numerous. But this? I never expected the list to be this long. It's really annoying how GW handles things. Kudos for doing this list - it must've taken some time to research and compile it.

• 10 months later...

Arise, thread! 

Now there's a bunch of Black Templar stuff! 

• Grey Knight - Castellan Crowe
  • Black Templars - Emperor’s Champion
  • Black Templars - Primaris Initiate
  • Black Templars - Primaris Neophyte - these are a single boxed set, the crusader squad, right?
  • Black Templars - Marshall
  • Black Templars - High Marshall Helbrecht

Then there's also

Edited by Xenith

nids really need something thats similarish to marines so that marine players want them for conversions... like they used to do when tyrannic war vetrans were a thing so they have a kit to raid for trophies... maby the next warrior kit. atleast you used to see marines using the odd warrior head as a storm sheild conversion... bit harder when current new kits really only lend to marines using spare nid bits as base decoration. 

(logic being marines are the largest player base, need them buying nid kits for conversions to get them into building and painting a few nids... stretching to playing to get them to start focusing on xeno a bit more....)

• 2 months later...
That'll be Shrikes.

Their datasheet was suspiciously absent from Legends, when that was introduced at the start of 9th. Which hinted they were doing something with them.

Plus in one of the shots it looks like there is a second model behind the first one. So it seems like a unit rather than a single character model.

Although there's still the chance that it'll let you build one of them as something like the parasite of mortrex, like how the warrior box can build a prime, or the zoanthrope box can build a neurothrope.

• 4 weeks later...