Craftworld Etruria - Storm Guardians!

Urkh

Thank you Bryan! Yes, the gems are black. I normally do blue gems and cloth, but I figured for these guys I would go dark.

I feel like I want to hit a few areas that should have shadows with a red wash to bring the contrast in the orange a bit more ranged. I also wondered if the power weapons draw too much attention from the body of the mini. The blank face does nothing to attract attention, but maybe I want my opponent to go, "shoot, big green axes", and get distracted? I thought about painting the rune in the middle of the chest green to make give a bit more balance.

I’m not sure they are that distracting, at least not to me - they sort of bookend the mini, and draw my eye in a line across it, but the. Green chest rune might be good to make sure the eye lingers there some?  It also is in a line with the other two elements, so it sort of reinforces that line idea.

I’m not sure on the red, for shadows on the orange,I think I’d lean more toward a light brown, personally.  Maybe a reddish-brown tone?

Well, the red wash is what I used for my farseer to get his shadows deeper, and I feel it works very well. I might go over the area with the base orange first since that's the layer I usually wash to make shadows, then layer on top of that.

If I were to use one of my brown washes, I have agrax earthshade, seraphim sepia, and riekland fleshshade to choose from. Which would you recommend. I have 9 more of these guys and it never hurts to try different things!

I also just picked up a pot of the black crackle medium GWS has, so I can hopefully get some basing done of the army!

Thank you for all the feedback!

Edited by Urkh

I think I’d probably use something like Reikland, but in this instance I would try a 1:1 mix of Reikland Fleshshade:Fuegan Orange and see how you like that color.  Sepia is more yellow toned, and Agrax is too dark to shade orange, IMO (I usually use it, green, and purple to shade reds).

I believe I was actually using pure Fuegan Orange on mine originally, so I will caveat the above with “I haven’t tried it” - if you enjoy the red shade results, then definitely use that!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Great Orange army you have here, Glad i found it! 

I would suggest Reikland wash or ... Cassandora yellow wash (it's actually more Orange than yellow! what was your desired effect from this wash your going to do?... are you trying to do a straight recess wash or all over wash to change the base colour tone?... 

You really have made the Orange colour work with this army without it being crazy garish or wrong :sweat: .... :thumbsup:

Cheers, Mithril

P.S. Good luck with the Crusading!! 

Ok, progress report on the warwalkers. I have their colors blocked out. Next steps are some washes and then layering begins! I have to say though, I am still debating how I want to do the lines for panels and such. My wave serpent has blue, so I was thinking that. A dark red like my fire prism is my other choice, but doing normal orange highlights instead of the yellow ones the prism has.

gallery_65490_16360_58287.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got one of the three warwalkers done for my vow. These guys are a bit of a pain, and after I am done with them, will probably not paint another warwalker for a good long while. Luckily, the starcannons are magnetized!

gallery_65490_16699_475561.jpg

gallery_65490_16699_975908.jpg

Here is an overhead of the base

gallery_65490_16699_607401.jpeg

And because I love to torture myself, I also painted the inside of the window!

gallery_65490_16699_40446.jpeg

The idea here is that the planet is under terraforming, hence the volcanism. There is no plant life to create the O2 molecule, so much like ancient earth, the sky is purple. With so much volcanic ash being poured into the atmosphere, it is high is sulfer, hence the yellow clouds. Be careful on this planet, it is dangerous!

Onto the next two...

Edited by Urkh

• 2 weeks later...

Doing my best! 2/3 warwalkers done!

I think the base on the first one turned out better, but oh well.

They call that Burnout ...:sweat: I'd probably be the same- first base awesome....2nd base "fine" :sweat:  3rd base "ugh enough!" :dry.:   

well done on your work there, loving the orange!! Those War walkers are very cool models though :thumbsup:

Mithril