Stallenberg 502nd... with added Norfolkian 8th. 'Pip pip old chap!'

As some of my conversion bits have gone rouge since I have moved I cant do the Khornate Guardsmen and some other bits for the 12 months challenge, so naturally I have swapped them for some more Guard instead, so this is next on my to do list...

med_gallery_75911_16694_968799.jpg

Guardsmen, Engineers, Grenadiers, Command Squad and a cheeky Master of Ordnance hidden away in there I made from the weird officer body on the WGA French sprue, I think I may just use those bodys for artillery crew and all things explody. Still waiting on the box of French to show up, fingers crossed its just delayed and the postman hasnt been eaten by the local junkies and all the post dumped in the river.

Thought I may as well get the Avatar painted, its been in that state for about 6 years now.

++EDIT++

Im thick and cant spell... Damn you Derek Zoolander center for kids who cant read good and who wanna learn to do other stuff good too!!!

Edited by Slave to Darkness

I really like you kit bashes. I thought the Grognards parts were a little weird on the Germans when I was looking at my bits pile but I think you've done someting here that's sold me on the weapons/arms put onto the Germans. I'ma give it another go! 
Hope your bits turn up! 

TBH I want feeling it at first anyway, everything looked weird, when I slapped a backpack on them it bulked the torso area out so they stopped looking like Kiera Knightley in American Football  body armour and more like actual space dudes.

French should turn up tomorrow, just picked up glue and black primer ready :D I have kept some Grognard parts to throw on a unit of french to make a unit of Greatcoat vets, would be easier just sticking german heads on the Grognard bodies but the french sculpts are vastly superior to the Grognards.

Quick question to you lot, heavy weapons (heavy bolters, mortars and autocannons) in infantry squads? Worth doing or should I keep them in heavy weapon squads instead?

With my Tallarns I've always put 1 heavy weapon and 1 special weapon in each of my line infantry Squads. I sometimes also bring heavy weapons squads. But I've found heavy weapons squads just lack the ablative wounds of infantry squads. Even back in 3rd edition when they were more durable with 6 1-wound models as opposed to today when they have 3 2-wound models.

But plenty of folks just stick their heavy weapons into heavy weapons squads and run their infantry Squads with 0 to 1 special weapon.

It's really a case of 6 to 1 and half a dozen to the other.

Thinking about it, all my heavy weapons are wheeled except the mortars, so I think Ill stick a couple of wheeled weapons in guard squads as they will be easier for my mandollies to move around. Although I am still curious to what people say the pros vs cons are of heavy weapons in infantry squads from a gameplay point of view. 

Really depends on how you are planning to use your Infantry squads. Gamewise for mobile table-runners a HWT would be more burden than a useful addition, dew to the size of HWT base, movement penalty to shooting heavy weapon and points cost increase of a unit that is going to be destroyed in most cases. Also don't forget that Obsec rule counts models and technically a squad without HWT has 1 model more than a squad with HWT. For a home guard squad HWT can be a nice addition, adding some firepower, indirect morale boost (you loose one model not two) and yes you have a Heavy weapon with more Ld and wounds. 

I may stick a few heavy weapons in some squads, variety and all that...

The frenchies have finally turned up!!! *happy shovel noises*

Master of Ordnance and command squad done.

med_gallery_75911_16694_283633.jpg

A few wip shots...

med_gallery_75911_12239_460105.jpgmed_gallery_75911_12239_326216.jpg

med_gallery_75911_12239_121870.jpg

Gonna have a few people hung from the back carapace on razor wire. Just google the images from the hellscenes in Event Horizon and you can see what kind of 'decorations' Ill be going for.

What Craftworld does she play?? Got my eye on that box myself as the missus plays Khorne renegades and Im working on a little Biel Tan force as a slow burn project, so far I have first ed minis with a second ed Avatar, I was gonna keep it with old minis but those Rangers and Autarch are just too sexy to pass up. 

and I plan on more Knights in time. :D 

med_gallery_75911_16694_78215.jpg

Boxing day bash mini done, this dude is in a greatcoat but you cant really tell. 1 Frenchie down, 34 left to go.

Hope everyone had a good... whatever you all celebrated yesterday (or the day before if your Slav, my missus (Lithuanian) and her friend (Latvian) did it all on the 24th, I mean damn Jesus was a white man from Hull get the days right :lol: )

Does anyone know of ay good documentaries about WW1, not the reasons why but something based on the actual forces fighting, tactics, equipment etc, I have found a youtube channel called 'The Great War' with what I think is an Australian presenting but their vids are a bit on the short side, ten minute vids aint doing it for me :'(

I did get a 3 dvd boxset called the Great War as well but a lot of the footage is recycled over the dvds, I have seen the same tank explode many times now... This is the said boxset, if anyone is interested dont bother, very low quality product... 

51eS+atCbvL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Never been a fan of Praetorians but as my local WGA seller does them for £20 a box I may do a small platoon of them now I have seen these... 

Space_Brits_Shot.jpg?v=1638544958

Should be out soon next year hopefully, they have also made a horse sprue that they may sell on its own, if they do I may try converting some of the Germans into Deathriders... 

Does anyone know of ay good documentaries about WW1, not the reasons why but something based on the actual forces fighting, tactics, equipment etc, I have found a youtube channel called 'The Great War' with what I think is an Australian presenting but their vids are a bit on the short side, ten minute vids aint doing it for me :'(

I did get a 3 dvd boxset called the Great War as well but a lot of the footage is recycled over the dvds, I have seen the same tank explode many times now... This is the said boxset, if anyone is interested dont bother, very low quality product... 

I used to watch (or better to say 'listen') some while at work, but those are more like lectures than documentary films and are in Russian. which i think is a no-go for you.

About lack of footage on WWI topic. Just a reminder: they did not have personal cameras to make lots of vids those times. More so, only a few soldiers really had access to the phones to take pictures. Not speaking of that phones were actually phones only.:wink:

Edited by Shamansky

I’ve watched the series 1914-18 a few times whilst painting my Krieg.

It covers the home front as well as the eastern/western fronts!

The version I watched was narrated by Judi Dench.

There’s also “And they shall not grow old” which was made by Peter Jackson! It’s short but informative.

Lastly there’s World War 1 Apocalypse. I don’t know if you have Sky but I downloaded it from there.

Hope that helps.

Cheers guys, and Russian ones wont be too much of a problem, the missus is half Lihuanian and half Russian, if she dont translate Ill send her to Gulag, or the kitchen to do my laundry. Gulag would be safer, my socks have become hostile. 

Gulag jokes aside I have built 5 Grenadiers from the French box and lost motivation over xmas, Ill try get my finger out and get more done today... :) 

I have had to change my 12 months last vow from scenery to more shovel bois...

So this is what else I need to do.

med_gallery_75911_16694_505995.jpg

Once I get this lot and my current workload done all my WW1 themed stuff will be done, finally. Then I get to crack on with my WW2 Guard, but that will have a lot more camo in the colour scheme so I wont get burnout from all this grey..

I was thinking about adding some more Soviet themed units to go with my Ratlings, but I also thought Genestealer Cults may be an interesting way to play them with all the ambush shenanegans and whatnot. Do you guys think that would be worth trying or should I stick with the Guard dex?? Im not too clued up on Stealer Cults, not used them since 2nd ed.

So what's the verdict on the WGA French WW1 models then? What' the good the bad and the ugly look like? 
I'm looking for more motivation, something to get the juices pumping. I'm kinda in between projects right now, I guess it's that time of the year... :wink: 

Happy new year! And keep fighting the good fight! 

Some mold lines in annoying places but nothing that cant be sorted out with a little patience. No shovels at all that was my only gripe. :lol

Im not sure if one of the left arms is mislabeled or Im just retarded but no major issues that cant be fixed, I just spent a few mins seeing what arms matched up and that was it, German bits fit fine as well with no issue, and Grognard arms fit great as well. The rifle grenade was annoying, you just stick it to the end of the barrel but the bayonet is in the way so that needs trimming off but again not really an issue. Not sure what to do with the 5 'officer' looking bodies, may sculpt armour over them like the WW1 German Stormtroopers.

screen-shot-2019-04-02-at-1-39-59-am.png

Shouldnt be too hard or take up too much of my time, just need to get the motivation to do it. The extra sprue of WW2 bits I have not really looked at, just used a few backpacks and a knife arm and thats it. 

Out of 10 Id give it a 9, only because of the lack of shovels. 

I wonder if I can find some tiiiny bolt croppers, makes sense a siege regiment carrying them. 

Yeah not many images came up when I just googled Stormtroopers, changing my search to German Stormtroopers was better, less Star Wars :lol

Thats why I loved Krieg back in the day, even the Vraks books felt like I was reading a history book with colour sections taken from one of the Osprey Men at Arms books.