Stallenberg 502nd... with added Norfolkian 8th. 'Pip pip old chap!'

I have been having a look on ebay at the prices of individual Wargames Atlantic sprues and I have found the Grognards at a very attractive price (if anyone is curious about their stuff, it is worth picking up a sprue just to check them out).

Having a poke through my bits box I found a few bolt action heads with the peaked caps and then I remembered the old Commissar training squads from back in 1st ed.

WD115com.png?resize=484%2C472

Might run them as Scions? I'm not too sure, I think I am just looking for an excuse to buy more toy soldiers, and the single sprues are really cheap so I can get my hobby fix and eat something other than noodles and my home made cardboard scenery.

I have also been eyeing up the WGA Faun kit as well and that got me thinking about the old Beastman assault squads, I already have plans for various abhuman units in my force, I may as well throw in another childhood favourite and relive the glory days.

Also thinking about converting a Malcador, using a WW1 British Mk IV as a base, but not knowing how big a Malcador is I was wondering does anybody have a rough Idea what scale kit would be a good starting point? I am totally clueless when it comes to scale kits.

++EDIT++

Forgot, I did manage to slap a tickle of paint on the other unt of Ratlings.

med_gallery_75911_16694_447709.jpg

med_gallery_75911_16694_460560.jpg

Still got a fair bit of work to do on them, I still have some of the thin Krieg shoulder armour thingys somewhere that I can use to cover the Bad Dok level of work I have done on them, and I need to get a few more backpacks and other assorted whatnots for them as well to tie them into the universe, like 'Aquilla brand Vodka' or whatever the 40k version of vodka is called, paint a tiny little aquilla on the bottle and on the helmets as well to make them feel a bit more 40k and less 'Kawaii' historicals (they do look adorable though).

Edited by Slave to Darkness

:lol: now I want them to bring back commissar squads! I never knew that was a thing

I think there's some threads in the barracks on Malcador sizes because of other 3rd party comparisons. The name of which I can't recall right now...

Nice work on the ratings :tu:

I got some Fauns for my own beastmen equivalent force and I think that historical arms should work ok.
I have some spare escher arms which I will experiment with as they are thinner than cadian arms and are unarmoured and have no sleeves or something which could look weird on the fauns.
I haven't assembled any so far, but they seem to be taller than normal humans in 28mm, so be warned they might seem tall among your other troops.

Good progress on your Ratlings :)

I got some Fauns for my own beastmen equivalent force and I think that historical arms should work ok.

I have some spare escher arms which I will experiment with as they are thinner than cadian arms and are unarmoured and have no sleeves or something which could look weird on the fauns.

I haven't assembled any so far, but they seem to be taller than normal humans in 28mm, so be warned they might seem tall among your other troops.

Good progress on your Ratlings :smile.:

Im planning a squad of Khorne Possessed using the Primaris as a base, and their ride will be a 1st ed Rhino, so height/realism wont bother me, would be nice to get a bit of height difference in the Guard, funny how they are all 6ft tall on the tabletop. Good call on trying out different arms for them, I did not think of that actually. 

Also just remembered I have 4 French Napoleonic cav I was gonna turn into Death Riders, I was gonna give up on that idea because I did not have any suitable lance arms to use but the WGA Halflings have some nice spears that would be about the right size, with all of the old fantasy bits I have in boxes Im sure I will be able to knock up some lance arms. Ngl I am just waiting on the WGA Halfling cav if/when it gets done then Im throwing a lot of money at that to make a full on Kawaii Deathrider force :biggrin.: I am still fighting the urge to make a full Halfling platoon. Annoying as I only started the Guard army as a small project to play with as a break from all the Chaos stuff I have been working on, and now I have hardly looked at a chaos marine in aaaages. 

:laugh.: now I want them to bring back commissar squads! I never knew that was a thing

I think there's some threads in the barracks on Malcador sizes because of other 3rd party comparisons. The name of which I can't recall right now...

Nice work on the ratings :thumbsup:

We even had Suicide Bombers and Jump Pack assault troops back in the day as well. 

I shall inspect the size comparisons after I indulge in the British pass time of drinking my bodyweight in tea :smile.:

Humans are not all the same size, abhumans should be the same and I guess the mix between male and female fauns should work well if you go for a full box or a sprue of each :)

Commissar cadets might work well as scions, if I recall their typical gear/rules correctly.

Don't forget bike/jet bike for almost everything from Inquisitors to Arbites :)
Things were wild before in terms of available wargear and such.

Keep forgetting Jetbikes were a thing for everybody back in the day, only had one and that sat in the bottom of my bits box for my entire 1st/2nd ed career as I could not find more for love nor money back then, and my parents were reluctant to buy me any from mail order as 'GW/Warhammer is a waste of money'.

Quick question as I dont have the rules handy, are the Cyclops (think thats what they are called) RC explodey tankbombs still a thing in current Guard or has FW discontinued them as well? and if they  are still around what is their Move, Toughness and Wounds? Wondering if I could knock up some Human Bombs and get away with running them as Cyclops thingys.  

++EDIT++

Just managed to hunt down the book, dont think my idea will work unless my Human Bombs are pumped full of combat stims and wear some form of armour to get around the high movement and toughness/wounds of the Cyclops. 

Just managed to hunt down the book, dont think my idea will work unless my Human Bombs are pumped full of combat stims and wear some form of armour to get around the high movement and toughness/wounds of the Cyclops. 

Well, it works fine with arco flagellants. Why can't it work with 'shaheeds'?

Ok so having had a look at a post on Dakka Dakka regarding tank scales, and a few people saying the Malcador is roughly the same size as a Landraider, maybe a smidgen longer, im trying to do mental gymnastics on what scale Mk IV tank I will need. The charts on the dakka post giving sizes for GW tanks and historicals dont have the MkIV so I have had to compare the real world sizes of that and a Pzkpfw III. The Mk IV is roughly 2 meters longer, so a 1:35 scale tank miiiight be about the right size.

Also years back I did get a load of templates off the internet so I can make Rogue Trader era papercraft Landraiders and Rhinos, if I can find them again the file I downloaded also had a MkIV template that I tried making out of corn flakes boxes when I was bored, if I cant get a suitable model kit I may just have to scratch build the whole thing, because the more I think about it the MkIV may be a little bit too thin for a Malcador so I will have to widen it, would help if I could actually see a Malc in the flesh or a shot of one next to Russ tanks and Landraiders.

Comparison charts are below for those interested...

gallery_75911_16694_20392.png

++EDIT++

Just had a thought, well a few actually.

1. How big are the FW Cyclops? Think I could find a MkIV in a small enough scale to pass as those?

2. Halftracks as Chimera? Think thats passable?

2 and a bit. Panzerwerfers as Manticores?

Lost the bidding war on the MkIV, my enter key was sticky and didnt get my last bid in, I missed it by 2 seconds... Fuming.. 

I have got coffee though so cant grumble. 

Time to get back on ebay and see what other goodies I can find to waste my non existent money on. 

Nothin spectacular, a baggie full of spare Cadian arms, another sprue of Frostgrave cultists and I did find a facemask with a Krieg Guardsman on that was only a few ££ so I thought what the hell not... Oh and I did get a 'Khorneflakes' T-shirt for the Ex for christmas (still friends, thats why the breakup was hard, we have still been hanging out every day). 

Due to the life expectancy of the start collecting boxes being potentially short now I have decided my next purchase will be the Ork box, may as well get it in now whilst I have the chance and the money... 

How do allies work now in 9th? Would a Blood Axe and Guard army be useable? 

How do allies work now in 9th? Would a Blood Axe and Guard army be useable?

You still need common keywords to make a Battleforged army. 

Oh and I did get a 'Khorneflakes' T-shirt for the Ex for christmas (still friends, thats why the breakup was hard, we have still been hanging out every day).

Well... that's weird... I hope you will get it over, and become a free person without false hopes for reunion. Betrayer once will betray again. Just a thought. Beg your pardon, if i'm over the line.

Edited by Shamansky

Nah everyone is entitled to say what they think, I believe in free speech even if I dont agree with whats being said...  Though I will point out it wasnt a particularly nasty split, we both suffer from mental health problems and we keep sparking, but our personal issues kinda throw a spanner in the works when it comes to the other one... Its just one of those things that cant be helped I guess... I wouldnt say its not Khorne that influenced the split but Tzeentch...  If in the future things change then great if not then that sucks but hey ho, clearly the Gods have different plans for me.   Were still really good friends and I would bend over backwards to help her if I could. Again thanks for the concern though guys, if it wasnt for you lot the past few weeks would have been :censored::censored:... 

In other news everywhere I have checked the Ork SC box is outta stock, and none of the Guard stuff is leaping out at me now I have found WGA so I have ordered paints, the one thing I always need but forget to buy... 

*stares at door waiting for delivery making sad Krieg noises* 

I bet as soon as I leave to buy milk it will turn up and go back to the local office like last time... 

Wish he would provide a bit bloody faster lol, Im still waiting. I wouldnt mind but my friend ordered some stuff the day after and his turned up thursday, same postage rate and same town, and a much larger order... 

I cant even paint other stuff whilst I wait because the paints I need are what I am waiting for, on the positive side though at least I replaced my Xbox 360 so I can finally play games again :D Bit of Metro 2033 is needed I think, at least I can blow people up and pretend its the postman. 

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out my package was here on the 4th, no red card through the post, and there was someone in all day... At least I have the paints I need now to finish off some of my Guard :D 

Just knocked up another five Ratlings using WGA Germans and Halflings, Ill get them primed later when I do my Deathskullz Warboss. Then next on the to do list is do something with all the bits I have kept for converting up some Death Riders. Oh and I swapped out one of my tank commanders for one of the Krieg sculpts, looks much better. 

Now I just gotta wait for WGA to release the WW1 French box, two of them and one of the Germans should give me more than enough infantry to be gettin on with. 

• 3 months later...

Got one of these off ebay for a few quid. It looks a little bit smaller and thinner than the FW version (a Guardsman is slightly taller) but looks perfect next to my WGA Einherjar/Squats, I think if I put it on a base and increase the height by adding milliput to the base before I add sand it should look right next to my Krieg. Totally worth the few ££ and they do a heavy Mortar variant as well.

161650996_280106290190616_80578758558025