2000 Salamanders Suggestions

Uberlord Gendo

I've got a couple of core ideas that I really want to make work/include, but I'm uncertain of the exact configuration of the whole list.  The big blocks are:

-2 company vet squads with specials and ccws in a Termite.  Termites have room for 12, so the question here is who is cool enough to ride along.  One option is to stick a Lt in there with the Obsidian Aquilla and the LORD OF FIRE warlord trait.  I'd be tempted to give all 10 vets combi-flamers, but realistically, it'll be 5 flamers and 5 meltas.  They tunnel in, hop out, set things on fire, try to make it into melee, and if they don't/kill everything around them, they tank some shooting with the native Salamander resistance, a sacrificial storm shield, and the Aquilla's 6+++.  I could stick a champion in there to hit things too, which just strikes me as fun, but I think the more tactically sound option is to put a Librarian in there with Flame Shield and Drakeskin and then use Self Sacrifice to force fire on the buffed command squad.  Another option is to change the Lt to Vulkan since his overall buff is better.  All this should be about 700 points and 1 to 3 CP.

-3 Heavy Intercessor Squads accompanied by a (Chief) Apothecary.  Idea is to give the Intercessors the Hellstorm bolt rifles so they can make up for their 5" move by taking the assault move when they need to.  This would be 510 and 1 CP for the warlord trait that gives free revivals.

-Impulsor of Bladeguard with support.  Originally, I was thinking 2 units like this, one with a captain in it and one with the Lt- I do like the models, after all, but this seems like it may be an overinvestment.  If I cut it down to one unit and/or use Vulkan for my captain slot, I can pick up the slack by giving the Lt the Sigil of Vulkan and maybe throwing in the standard bearer.  Though if I do the sensible thing and don't spend about 600 points on two units, their transports, and supporting characters and instead cut it in half to try that thing called ranged fire support, what should I do with the 300 points that I've freed up?  As odd as it sounds, I'm not too hot on Multimeltas here, but I think that's because I've been spoiled by Retributors.  Eradicators are, naturally always solid and I'm considering Hellblasters as well, mostly because I have a squad that is nicely painted.  What do you think?  Sensible or is having "range" heretical Tau-thinking?

For your Termite contents, I would recommend Sternguard and/or Vanguard over 5 man Company Vet squads. Sternguard are better shooty weapon platforms since they can take 5 pt combis and are a point cheaper on top of that. Vanguard have the same melee options as Company Vets plus the relic blade, and are a point cheaper. For Company Vets, you're best off sticking to 2 man squads to make best use of the chapter tactics and maximize sergeants. I see 4 good options for the goals you've laid out for them:

2 squads of Sternguard. You can take 1 with combi-flamers and 1 with combi-meltas, and fists or claws on the sergeants. You save 35 points and get the extra bolter shots, but you lose some melee punch and shield defense. You will likely get more mileage out of the shooting too, as you have less reason to stick them in combat and negate the guns you paid for.

2 squads of Vanguard. Save 10 points on models plus guns you aren't buying. Go all in on the fact that yoh want to punch things up close. Fists or claws are your best weapon choices for their price. You lose out on any real shooting, but you will punch better and cheaper

1 squad of Sternguard and 1 of Vanguard. Combis as desired on the Sternguard. Desired weapons on the Vanguard with some shields included. You save 10 points on the models, plus whatever weapons you miss out on. Each squad will get to dedicate to its role instead of splitting focus and potentially wasting half its weapons. Downside is you lose some initial shooting (though can make up for it by keeping the Sternguard free), as well as some melee.

1 squad Sternguard, 3×2 of Company Vets. You can kit the Company Vets for melee with shields and/or flamers, and put combi-meltas on the Sternguard. You add some points by going from 10 to 11 guys, but you get the tactics and sergeant benefits of MSU Combat Squads. You don't lose any shooting (you actually gain some) and only lose a bit of melee capability due to the sgt attacks and extra guy. Main downsides are using 3 Elite slots and reducing stratagem efficiency.

For support character, I like a smash Champion (particularly for the 3×2 Company or double Vanguard options, taking the reroll charge aura) or Lieutenant best. I think a Librarian is better suited to protecting a footslogging unit. You don't want him in melee too quick, and keeping with a slower squad lets his powers be useful longer. A Captain could work, but doesn't help flamers at all, and I think would be better used somewhere else in your army (or as a bike Captain). He'stan is another workable choice, though I think a custom Captain is a better use of points and can be better dedicated to a role.

Edited by Medicinal Carrots