Possible new Space Marine Heroes Series 4 (false alarm)

Hi Fratres.  Brother Kierdale lives in Japan, I lived in Japan, and I guess the image of sakura invokes something so innate, I didn't even think to think about it.  It doesn't mean we're right, but it's like how fish don't have a word for water.  I'm just sharing what the gut feel is from someone immersed in that culture.

1st, sakura (in this context) immediately invokes the symbol of the warrior.  Why the warrior?  Because the warrior's life is glamourised as beautiful yet short-lived.  The renewal and rebirth, also true, a warrior can die ten thousand deaths, an empire can die but one.  But put aside a Space Marine, it's just very apropos without...just imho, and as I said this is instinctive but doesn't mean we're right...it might not mean anything more than another Heroes series.

2nd, I said sakura are short lived, how short-lived?  We think of something blooming in spring, then go into the summer, then everything withers by autumn.  The sakura USUALLY blooms AND dies within April (sometimes they start in late March, sometimes end in early May, but it's a very specific time, it's their nature).  This suggests they're announcing something within the week, but the arrival date of whatever they're announcing will be around April.  This is especially poignant because we're coming up to the Lunar New Year, the sakura bloom is like the next major event.

Edit - I just thought of a good analogy that western audiences might be more familiar with.  Imagine instead of sakura, it was a pumpkin.  You can have pumpkin any time of year.  You can have pumpkin pie, you can have soup with pumpkin in it.  But it immediately brings to mind a specific time: Halloween.  It's like a very seasonal thing like that.

TL;DR - a Space Marine Heroes thing released around April (could be late March, maybe early May, but probably around April).

Edit - it could also be Emperor's Children (in fact I would love this, I was planning something with the new Fulgrim model in the AoS range but they call him Sigvald there) or Primaris or anything else you mentioned.  But the timeframe was what leaps out from the image.

Edited by N1SB

Hopefully Sakura (spring, new bloom) means it's primaris. We have 4857503 kits of all other SM units, we don't need any more of that junk. We still don't have anything resembling 'veteran' looking intercessors/hellblasters, no reiver captain/chaplain, no gravis lieutenant/chaplain/librarian, really, the range has such gigantic holes you could fill five Heroes series with just what is missing in it.

And, seriously? We don't need duplicates of old, ugly, terribly proportioned models like assault or scout squad, especially seeing assaults have new sculpts, and seeing no one used either of these in years. Let's do stuff people actually like and use, eh? :down:

We don't need more hideous primaris when they've effectively killed off the proper Marine line. Just kitbash using your overpriced conversion kits. You don't need to eat what little dev time the original Marines have left.

Hopefully Sakura (spring, new bloom) means it's primaris. We have 4857503 kits of all other SM units, we don't need any more of that junk. We still don't have anything resembling 'veteran' looking intercessors/hellblasters, no reiver captain/chaplain, no gravis lieutenant/chaplain/librarian, really, the range has such gigantic holes you could fill five Heroes series with just what is missing in it.

And, seriously? We don't need duplicates of old, ugly, terribly proportioned models like assault or scout squad, especially seeing assaults have new sculpts, and seeing no one used either of these in years. Let's do stuff people actually like and use, eh? :down:

We don't need more hideous primaris when they've effectively killed off the proper Marine line. Just kitbash using your overpriced conversion kits. You don't need to eat what little dev time the original Marines have left.

Hideous is in the eye of the beholder my friend. To some of us primaris are the far superior models, to others the firstborn (loyal or traitor) are. It's fine to like either one, but no need to get angsty about it.

Personally, I'd definitely like a scout line, particularly if it were a total overhaul of the current incarnations into something that looks better proportioned and posed (something the heroes line is known for!)

If it were primaris, i'd like that too, specifically if it were a veteran intercessor squad, because its something we probably wont see models for directly tbh, and nicely posed intercessors (like the ones in dark imperium) are very cool (In my opinion!)

Still, scouts would be my hope.

If it were more chaos, I'd expect it to be generic chaos or thousand sons. I don't seem them doing berzerkers or emperors children till they get a mainline update tbh.

I would be all over some generic chaos space marines with dynamic poses.

They've got their own quite new kit though.

Noise marines or beserkers however are far more in need.

Imo, the fact that they badly need new models makes them much less likely to be the subject of SMH4. Can you imagine the outrage if the first new Berserker models in 25ish years are a blind-box Japan exclusive?!

Imo, the fact that they badly need new models makes them much less likely to be the subject of SMH4. Can you imagine the outrage if the first new Berserker models in 25ish years are a blind-box Japan exclusive?!

On the other hand, it'd be a sign of things to come, so that'd mitigate the outrage.

Dont they just come out in Japan first or am I remembering that wrong?

Dont they just come out in Japan first or am I remembering that wrong?

I meant that if they reveal Zerkers or Noise Marines as the new series, while people would be ornery that they're a Japan-exclusive blind box, it'd also mean that a full release for their respective Traitor Legions wouldn't be far behind.

Edited by DeadFingers

On the other hand, it'd be a sign of things to come, so that'd mitigate the outrage.

Your opinion of the wider 40k community is clearly a lot less pessimistic than mine!

I think people either having to pay to import from Japan or wait up to a year to buy locally, when the models are in desperate need of update and pretty much everybody playing those factions will want them, would result in a level of salt that dwarfs any of the other "controversies" we've seen lately.

If it is a Series 4 (I mean it's very likely, but not a guarantee based on what we have), while I still wouldn't buy them "blind box" or with extraneous game material I have no need or want for, I'd much rather see them be something in need of an update, like Berserkers, Scouts, or Noise Marines, than anything else.

Although Black Templars would be cool too, and they already broke the "not usable by everyone else" wall with the Plague Marines.

Wild guess, but rather than new Heroes I wonder if it's something about the S2 Terminator minis.

A new Space Marine Adventures boxed board game for toyshops - terminators v genestealers for the space hulk retro vibe.

The pink sakura - any nid vibes from that?

They announce that sort of thing at the toy fairs in NY or Germany but they're cancelled this year. Spring is about right for release though.

1. The whole point of getting new models for Assault Marines or Scouts is that they aren't terribly proportioned, see e.g. the SM Heroes Terminators...
  2. Plenty of folks still use units that aren't Primaris, FYI

Guess I am the only person who uses Assault marines and Scouts then. :( I have been playing the game wrong all these years. 

I do recall someone theorising that the Space Marine Heroes series are a way to release unused sculpts. It kinda fits with the two first series being firstborn marines, since they were sidelined with the primaris line. Regardind Death Guard, as a faction they don't have a wide selection of power armoured units, so I see it likely that some sculpts could not be included in either DI nor the multipart plague marines kit. Thus, I would not expect to it to feature units that have not been released already, as it would likely canibalise sales from GW proper; even if economically it would be wiser to wait for a proper kit release, I could see plenty of people buying a hypothetical berserkers series to subsitute their old minis even at a premium price.

With that said, a generic CSM series might be feasible, as most PA multipart kits for the faction are already released (or relatively recent ie. Rapaxes). Even chaos terminators, given that there are only 5 sculpts in the multipart box. I woudln't be surprised if GW had a few extra sculpts that they could not fit into any other release, as I guess digital sculpting might allow for easier alternative sculpts once you have the basic frame done.

If we get another faction locked series, I just can't see that being of something that hasn't gotten a modern take recently already. Series 3 was of DG, but we'd already had the big DG upgrade in recent years. I can't see them doing something like new khorne berzerkers and have a timed japan exclusive be the reveal of that. Like why would have what is essentially a small side series steal the thunder of such a reveal like that?

TS would be fair game, but EC and WE need to get a proper main update first.

That said, im hoping for something generic as that has broader appeal generally. The chance that a specific release would land in my specific corner is also pretty much nil either way :wink: