Iron is only as strong as the flesh that wields it - The Arkifane

Wonderful batrep pictures! Seeing painted armies facing off on the table is a sight that never gets old :yes: I'm heartened by your Terminators resilience that's how they should be! Unfortunately it seems my Terminators often forget to turn their powered armour on :laugh.: 

That's also great work with the Rhino and Predator - you are mightily productive indeed! I am keen to see the third Rhino done now, and then maybe you'll do a picture with all the vehicles? That should be a most excellent picture!

I am curious about Crusade now, I've not even looked into it even a little bit - can you give a brief rundown of how it's gone for your group? Mind you I could count on one hand all the games I've had of 9th but hopefully that should be changing in the next month or two :tu: I need to get more games in...!

Thanks Ark! My regular opponents have wonderfully painted armies which just look amazing on the tabletop, it makes me push myself with my painting too :sweat:

With the 3rd Rhino, I'll have reached nearly 2k points (when playing with 2W marines and the points adjuested for it) but I'm far from done. I'll definitely take a group shot after the Rhino :biggrin.:

We houserule Crusade a tad but the rundown is:

You build a roster to start with, we agreed on 1k points as it's a round number (plus PL, IMO is icky) and several people were painting entirely new armies for the start of the Crusade. When you play a game with someone, you build your list from this roster eg: You play a 500 point game, you can only take units from your roster with the weapons they're equipped with in the roster.

There's a couple of types of points values:

Requision points (RP): You start on 5 RP, expanding your roster is 1RP, buying a Relic/Warlord Trait for a character is 1RP as they don't come free, healing an injured unit is 1RP, changing the equipment or the unit size is 1RP. If you have a strategem that's a once per game upgrade for a chracter or unit, like Red Butchers or Tank Ace, it costs 1 RP and they permanently keep it. There are other things you can spend them on. As the expansion of the roster is in PL in the rules, we home brewed it to 100 per 1 RP

Everyone gets 1 RP for playing, some game modes will give you more RP

Crusade Points: Your Roster will have a Crusade Point value depending on how many Relics, Warlord Traits, Crusade relics and crusade traits units have. For example a character with a Warlord Trait and a Relic is worth 2 Crusade points. When you play a game against someone, you tally up the difference in Crusade points, half the difference and the person with less Crusade points is refunded in Command Points. For example, I have 4 Crusade Points, you have 2, you are given one Command Point in our game. This is to balance games especially if someone joins the Crusade late or only plays a few games

After a game is finished you roll a dice for each dead unit, on a roll of 1 they are out of action. You can either heal them for 1RP or you can take a Battle Scars. If you take a scar you can either roll on the Scar table and get a random detrimental trait or lose the XP that unit would have for that game and D6 extra. Each battle scar is worth -1 Crusade point but unless they're the ones from the factions codex, they're very brutal. Some of the Codex ones I've seen are usually a sideways buff :rolleyes: 

Each unit gets 1XP for playing the game, you also get to give a Mark of Excellence and give one unit 3XP on top there are game modes that give more marks of excellence. Everyone gets 1RP for playing, there are game modes that give more RP. You check if your units have levelled up, if they have they can take a Crusade Relic or a Crusade Trait.

When you're playing the crusade game modes (you should, they're great fun) you replace secondary missions with Agendas. Agendas are similar to secondaries except the units that score them get extra XP.

The base Crusade rules are great fun and the 9th codexes that are being released also have Crusade content in there that is fluffy and adds another dimension to some armies. I'm looking forward to what else they add to it and hope they don't let it languish.

That's pretty much it, there's a bit of admin that I started using a Crusade app for but found that I loved doing all the note taking and tallying etc down on paper. I really recommend Crusade if you've got the group for it. You definitely could min-max stuff and find the best Crusade Trait/Relic combo but I've found that my group are all about the fluff :biggrin.:

The one we used was called Crusade Tracker or 40k Crusade Tracker in the Google apps store. It requires you to manually input a load of details which was tedious for me, one of my mates in the group went through all the set up and uses the app exclusively and likes it. I think there are other apps out there too, Google sheets definitely isn't a bad shout either!

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a little while since I've done anything IW related as I've been working on my Genestealer Cult project, progress has been made however!

My order from Tortuga bay arrived an dI've been making some Breacher style Chosen Chaos space marines.Tortuga Bay scale Heresy marks of armour up so they're equivalent to Primaris/ New wave chaos marines:

51486265579_9c1a42cb4f_b.jpg

I've painted the first one barring the base:

51529038508_2384154f7b_b.jpg

51527987832_40c326f123_b.jpg

51529038108_edd17e9c2b_b.jpg

51529038028_14ce8a6a92_b.jpg

The unit will be ten strong all with Power Axes and Bolt guns (or combi-bolters if I've got the points spare). Maybe not the strongest loadouts but they're looking pretty rad so far.

I got a game in at the weekend against a friends Imperial Fists, it ended in a very close draw with my Chaos Lord wading through Intercessors:

51523168851_63fbddbfd0_b.jpg

I also managed to get my hands on a MK1 Land Raider and another Predator, so expect some pictures of them soon :biggrin.:

Nice heroic rock!

Can't be a space marine without a heroic rock :wink:

So the MK1 Landraider arrived, it's a beaut! Well built and in good condition. Only downside is that it was missing the weapons so I had to cobble together some from some old predator and whirlwind bits as well as 2 of the old Chaos marine heavy bolters. As I wanted to add a Havoc launcher too, I added the missle launcher from the Achilles Ridgerunner kit

51537200087_47be36a75a_b.jpg

51537984911_305f5e743a_b.jpg

Looking pretty cool so far!

You lucky dog - I love that old model.  Did you manage to make the sponsoons twin-linked?  In the picture I can only see one barrel on each side.  Other than (potentially) that, your rearming looks great - the Achilles launcher is perfect as a havoc launcher for the model.

Do you intend to do anything with the front stowage racks?  They are my least favorite part of the model (as it doesn't make sense to put vulnerable stowage on the front of a tank), but find that they look equally strange without anything in them.

Looking at your picture, the FW variant (mine here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5624299) is surprisingly faithful to the old model, which tells you just what a classic it is.

You lucky dog - I love that old model. Did you manage to make the sponsoons twin-linked? In the picture I can only see one barrel on each side. Other than (potentially) that, your rearming looks great - the Achilles launcher is perfect as a havoc launcher for the model.

Do you intend to do anything with the front stowage racks? They are my least favorite part of the model (as it doesn't make sense to put vulnerable stowage on the front of a tank), but find that they look equally strange without anything in them.

Looking at your picture, the FW variant (mine here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/346143-the-judgment-on-kadeth-dr-ruminahuis-emperors-children/?p=5624299) is surprisingly faithful to the old model, which tells you just what a classic it is.

I'm very lucky honestly. I won this, an original plastic deimos predator and another Rhino all in great condition for dead cheap. :sweat: 

The lascannons are only one barrel each, one of the reasons it was likely so cheap is that it only had one set of lascannons. I could have blustuffed the set of lascannons but I quite like the hodgepodge look. They've fought for 10k years with extremely old kit, they'll strap whatever they can on to get it going. Saying all of that, I'll see what it looks like when I've finished it all. Worse comes to worst, I'll blue stuff the set I have

I'm way ahead of you for the stowage, I sprayed it all separately as I thought it might block the underneath :down:

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

The first character is done for my 1k list, base is still to be done. The Warsmith is next!

"Khyr, Oracle of Medrenguard - able to read the skeins of Fate with unnerving ease. While most in the 4th Legion regard those that dabble with the warp as distrustful creatures, Warsmith Barzok see them as useful tools"

51357401175_80a95487fb_h.jpg

This Sorcerer is missing some final highlights on that robe to match the level of highlighting on the face.

Something like this (lazy paint edit) in pink or flesh focusing on just the upper areas of fabric where the light hits with a final tiny highlight in white or off-white pink. Then a little extra white (palid wych flesh probably) on the very top of the bones in the belt buckle to tie that area together and a few tiny dots of white in the face area on the nose, cheeks, brow and maybe a dot on the bald as well. Just dot highlights to improve the face since its vell done.

A little more bright colours on that burning energy ball would be good too. a dot on either side of the pupils can be done with very pale pinks if you're up for it but that's a big pain.

gallery_85153_13735_203784.jpg

I'm loving the old Raider! Keen to see what you do with it! As Dr_Ruminahui says FW have some pretty faithful adaptions and I'm constantly eyeing them for my IW... can't justify the cost at the moment though :sweat:

I think that's an excellent idea with the sorcerer highlights - the extra work to bring out the edges will make a huge difference :tu:

• 4 weeks later...

This Sorcerer is missing some final highlights on that robe to match the level of highlighting on the face.

Something like this (lazy paint edit) in pink or flesh focusing on just the upper areas of fabric where the light hits with a final tiny highlight in white or off-white pink. Then a little extra white (palid wych flesh probably) on the very top of the bones in the belt buckle to tie that area together and a few tiny dots of white in the face area on the nose, cheeks, brow and maybe a dot on the bald as well. Just dot highlights to improve the face since its vell done.

A little more bright colours on that burning energy ball would be good too. a dot on either side of the pupils can be done with very pale pinks if you're up for it but that's a big pain.

Thank you for the in depth tips, Skeleton, they're super useful. I may go back and touch him up at some point as it wouldn't take too much work to turn it up a notch! :biggrin.:

I'm loving the old Raider! Keen to see what you do with it! As Dr_Ruminahui says FW have some pretty faithful adaptions and I'm constantly eyeing them for my IW... can't justify the cost at the moment though :sweat:

I think that's an excellent idea with the sorcerer highlights - the extra work to bring out the edges will make a huge difference :thumbsup:

Thanks Ark! She's a beaut and finally after about a month of painting totally loyal citizens of the Imperium, I decided to finish it off!

51644479029_15f80eba1b_h.jpg

51644478944_7205b529e2_h.jpg

51644044643_b0498d7792_h.jpg

51644478944_7205b529e2_h.jpg

For a pretty strong showing for the classics :thumbsup:

51644044653_0a4df370c7_h.jpg

Thank you Ark! I wanted to make them look a little bit more lived in, they'd all need to transport men and their supplies! I also wanted to try and make a weapons rack on the back of the Landraider but couldn't make it look right. Pretty pleased with how ti came out though! :biggrin.:

One of the many great things about this hobby is that there's no wrong answers! You don't like the old vehicles next to new minis, I think they look great, both are very valid :biggrin.:

I was worried about their size next to New wave Chaos marines but with them on a base and on a bit of rubble, I think they match up very well :happy.:

• 2 months later...

With all this chat about the upcoming CSM codex, it's got the old juices flowing. I'm currently working on a Dark Apostle for my Iron Wariors, surprisingly I've only painted 2 Characters for the force so far (2.5k), maybe GSC have spoiled me with their 13 Characters :sweat:

51841990738_47084e5f65_b.jpg

51842241704_0438fe74a6_b.jpg

51841990508_4991b4f250_b.jpg

51841991328_52586c7e64_b.jpg

51841979343_c8a25e6a6a_b.jpg

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Thank you Kythnos!

The base model is the Ultramarine Legion Herald, which I think is OOP these days. The Right arm and backpack is from the Legion Praevian from FW, left arm from the SM multipart Captain and the floating map is from the GSC Nexos kit. Quite a few different bits :biggrin.:

1-2.jpg99550101612_LegionPraevian01.jpg

Nice to see him with some paint on him.

Man, that mace is huge!  I'm of the mind that you could also field him as a hammer lord, given the ridiculous size of the mace. :smile.:

Do you plan to give him dark disciples?  If so, how do you intend to model them?  You could make them robotic walking pieces of com equipment, which would likely fit better with your aesthetic than robbed cultists.  I did something similar for my EC apostle - I used the guitar noise marine figure as the apostle and made 2 walking speakers for the disciples.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Nice to see him with some paint on him.

Man, that mace is huge!  I'm of the mind that you could also field him as a hammer lord, given the ridiculous size of the mace. :smile.:

Do you plan to give him dark disciples?  If so, how do you intend to model them?  You could make them robotic walking pieces of com equipment, which would likely fit better with your aesthetic than robbed cultists.  I did something similar for my EC apostle - I used the guitar noise marine figure as the apostle and made 2 walking speakers for the disciples.

Thank you Dr!

I definitely thought about using him as a Power Armoured lord as I (currently) don't have one painted or even built. Until I get one built up, he can definitely double up as one!

For the Dark Disciples, I used some GSC characters as I thought they fit the utilitarian idea I had for the Iron Warriors as a whole. Although they're lowly mortals, they still have some uses. One helps boost and strengthen Vox signals so that orders are recieved and the other is there to set traps for anyone who wants to try to "cut off the head". Maybe it's too much thought to put into up-jumped cultists :sweat: 

51302869019_6da0ac2935_b.jpg

Last night was pretty great for painting progress, I finished the Dark Apostle (apart from the base) and started another Helbrute:

51843813421_39b03f1d3e_b.jpg

51843813301_554fa7f69a_b.jpg

51844175899_0c86103d96_b.jpg

51844176244_fee34ab9a9_b.jpg

51844552650_f9fbb577ba_b.jpg

51843923598_55aa686d85_b.jpg

"Brother Grobak was one of the oldest members of the Warband. Surprisingly Grobak had kept most of his faculties where his brother dreadnoughts had not, although his temper had far surpassed even the followers of the Blood God. His wisdom and tactical knowledge is used by Iron Warrior Warsmiths for precise blows to structures when needed and let off his leash when the time arises"

51844761837_27112e7907_b.jpg

51844762057_03907bbb74_b.jpg

51845806808_c93be415a6_b.jpg

51844761382_d09026bda9_b.jpg

51844761532_ac7b5da216_b.jpg

A Maulerfiend is next on the painting table I think, while I figure out how to make bluestuff molds :sweat: