Iron is only as strong as the flesh that wields it - The Arkifane

I see we have the same; "Toss :censored: we don't like onto the base as a sacrifice" mentality. 

They're a good army to have a load of rubble/dead things on, especially with a colour scheme that has so bright colours! I have a couple of friends in my gaming group that my Iron Warriors have a Grudge against: Dark Angels and Imperial Fists. They're also good colours to add to the base to brighten it up! :biggrin.:

That is actually a really good conversion idea to mix up the rather static Maulerfiend/Forgefiend kit. I will make sure to remember it :-)

Thank you Kythnos! It's been such a long time since I even built the thing that it's nice to see the finished result :biggrin.:

Speaking of finished result:

51853746148_9c5ef960f5_b.jpg

51852705262_271847f97d_b.jpg

51854327175_24b89079df_b.jpg

51852704812_532d6c26dc_b.jpg

I also got a large chunk of the way through another character, a very large one mind you. A Son of Dorn in his rightful place :thumbsup:

51854326555_02040aa002_b.jpg

I really like how your mauler is painted - that trim highlighting is excellent and really brings the model to another level.

What's your recipe for the gold?  It's pretty close to what I would like to have on models.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

I really like how your mauler is painted - that trim highlighting is excellent and really brings the model to another level.

What's your recipe for the gold?  It's pretty close to what I would like to have on models.

Thank you Dr! The entire model tends to look incredibly bland until the highlights :biggrin.:

For the Brass armour trim all I do is: Leadbelcher spray undercoat, healthy layer of Basilicanum Grey over the entire model, Snakebite leather over the trim and then a highlight of Sycorax Bronze

For proper gold, I do: Retributor Gold, Agrax Earthshade, small splodges of Drucii Violet and if the model is lucky a small highlight of Iron Hands Steel :thumbsup:

After 3 years of languishing in the Pile of Potential (Shame), I finally painted up the Lord Discordant my friend got me for my birthday. It was way less daunting than I thought it would be :sweat:

51855644246_6003fa1756_b.jpg

51855724293_ff0c43641b_b.jpg

51856302415_d8f9647832_b.jpg

51854685647_b89aaccc30_b.jpg

51855644376_9a3ea49f82_b.jpg

51854685777_7b25bd2a07_b.jpg

A Son of Dorn in his rightful place :thumbsup:

51855724018_b157f942f9_b.jpg

And a proud dad with his many sons :biggrin.:

51855643866_b012a2a8ef_b.jpg

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Some of the most impressive iron warrior vehicles i've seen recently. Love the basing. 

Thank you Inspirit! If I can cut it up and fit it on a base while keeping the theme of the army, I'll do it! :biggrin.: 

Individually these are lovely, but together they're an excellently varied but cohesive force. Love the way you scatter the hazard striping throughout.

Cheers Naryn! I'm glad my aim for cohesion but individual is coming across, I honestly just smash Hazard Stripes on a couple of random spots on the model where it's easiest to get to :sweat: 

I've spent a couple of days getting a Leviathan built after having it sat in pieces for a good while. The Leviathan is a great chasis but can look a little bland at times due to large flat panels. As per the usual with my vehicles and dreads, I've smashed some extra bits on. It's supposed to look like it's pushing off into a sprint but doesn't quite come across in photos :oops:

51860281582_47a6c45a5b_b.jpg

51861239271_c5605fb102_b.jpg

51860280807_7c4d2d86b2_b.jpg

51860280772_2724b62115_b.jpg

51861891615_07f02199fc_b.jpg

51861237906_743fffce83_b.jpg

Also this little guy on the base, I quite like this as a creepy Cherub type thing

51860280512_6f24f3b329_b.jpg

While glue and GS was drying I started work on the Breacher Chosen, still a fair chunk of stuff to do:

51860280142_efedd2d4b4_b.jpg

51861891580_1cc62123ce_b.jpg

Thank you WF! The juices are flowing once more although a certain pointy eared army is looming :sweat:

I've also been working away on a couple of Characters, the first of which is a Master of Executions. He's on a 60mm base and is a bit over the top but I thought it was a pretty cool mini. I have space next to the big head to add the skulls/helmets of Characters I kill with him too:

51868434667_d732621e43_b.jpg

51869481283_4004b09025_b.jpg

51869396706_1b28c5fd13_b.jpg

My Basilicanum Grey contrast ran out finally and I ordered a new one. The New pot is very grey in comparison to the last pot and I'm not sure if the new grey is all that great. I'll need to test it out and compare :sweat:

It's a little OTT yes, but with an IW army I feel you have some room to add it compared to the rest of your models :P My Executioner has done great work for me though he's yet to claim a particularly noteworthy kill. Pretty good at carving his way through most things especially if you give him some Relic support :)

I've never run a MoE before so it'll be interesting to see what he can do, I play against a lot of marine players so he should have a good stack of different Chapter's helmets:biggrin.:

Bar the base I got him done last night, I was worried about the runes on the axe but they came out alright after a wash or two of Nuln oil

51873137803_ea5a23e99d_b.jpg

51873698220_8279039929_b.jpg

51873136338_8c09e4c81e_b.jpg

51873137418_f42994ef7c_b.jpg

51872098457_9ac09f227d_b.jpg

51873057621_2ecf985b82_b.jpg

I thought his rules were pretty good and wanted to model my own up but I'm glad I did. He's been a fixture in all my lists since I think? Short of horde armies he will probably be able to find targets to chop up, so along with how nice the model is I think he's earned that spot and I expect yours will too! The colours have come together nicely he'll really pop once the base is finished off :tu:

A wonderful model! The Axe of Dismemberment's runes look fine to me.

I tried him in a tournament last weekend. It was the first time I had ever used a Master of Executions and I was impressed. He took a chunk of wounds off of a Redemptor Dreadnought and killed a Venomcrawler outright.

I thought his rules were pretty good and wanted to model my own up but I'm glad I did. He's been a fixture in all my lists since I think? Short of horde armies he will probably be able to find targets to chop up, so along with how nice the model is I think he's earned that spot and I expect yours will too! The colours have come together nicely he'll really pop once the base is finished off :thumbsup:

A wonderful model! The Axe of Dismemberment's runes look fine to me.

I tried him in a tournament last weekend. It was the first time I had ever used a Master of Executions and I was impressed. He took a chunk of wounds off of a Redemptor Dreadnought and killed a Venomcrawler outright.

Thank you both! I'm hoping the MoE will move into the Elite slot as the HQ slot is so busy for Chaos! Having a character to run around and make opponents think twice about where they put their characters will be a  great thing! :biggrin.:

I got the Master of Possession done over the weekend and my Eldritch Omens box arrived too! As I've already got 10 Chosen built up (most are still awaiting paint), my friendis taking the Chosen off my hands, a win-win for me!

The Master of Possession is probably the coolest base design I've done. I had the idea that he's possessing/manipulating the barbed wire to move himself across the battefield in a similar way to Magneto or something similar. The name plate is from a friend as I had a Master of Possession for my Black Legion army that won me many a game and killed many a champion so I'm carrying it over in the vain hope he's still a madman :biggrin.:

51883320608_b12cce1ed5_b.jpg

51883896170_f91a04c408_b.jpg

51883320703_c5ce665799_b.jpg

51883320883_d721a7ef62_b.jpg

51883563679_cb3d05854f_b.jpg

51883321273_35d7755e42_b.jpg

51883321413_3d7bcf55bc_b.jpg

Giving me a lot of characters  so far :biggrin.:

51883895715_3ed37bd737_b.jpg

The Warpsmith has been built too, I toned him down a tad by removing the tendrils that come out from above the belt, swapped the head and shoulder plates out as well as changing the hammer head for a GSC Abherrant one:

51883243681_ab991b99cc_b.jpg

I've been working on a Rhino for the Chosen but didn't take any photos :sweat:

• 4 months later...

With the release of the Chaos codex, I'm slowly firing the Iron Warrior forges back up finally after nearly 5 months! Although I haven't been building or painting anything new, I've had a good few games with my force in that time, including a 1k tournament using Maelstrom of war cards at my FLGS (it was the last hurrah with the 8th edition book). I came 3rd out of 12 player with a very silly but surprisingly good list:

Lord Discordant with Daemonsmith and relic mechatendrils

MoP with Cursed Earth and Infernal Power

5 Terminators, 5xLC and 5xCB

Helbrute with Plasma cannon and fist

VenomCrawler

Maulerfiend

2xObliterators

With the old DttFE plus Daemonsmith, the Lord Discordant blended literally everything it touched, the Helbrute was another MVP and managed to sponge a rather large amount of damage and managed to get 3 shots every time he fired.

The first game was vs an entire Gravis Primaris army, 55 - 25 to me (Board wiped opponent)

The second game was vs Orks, 75 - 15 to me (Board wiped opponent. I only lost wounds in this game, I managed to keep all models alive at the end)

The third game was vs Tau, 60 - 35 to me (Board wiped opponent. we realised we both should have gotten more points after the game as we should have been getting points per unit kill. I should have gotten another 6 points here and he should have gotten an extra 2)

The fourth game was vs Death Guard, 100 - 20 to my opponent (I got board wiped on T3 and didn't kill a single model, it was over in 50 minutes!)

Overall I came 3rd, 1 point behind 2nd (the Tau player) and 3 points behind 1st (the Death Guard player). I also got best painted too! With the points I should have gained in game 3 I would have won but I'm not the sort of person to retroactively change my score so I left it as is. I had an absolute hoot and loved it! My standout was the Tau game where the Lord discordant stayed alive on 1W (repeatedly gaining more then dropping back down by the end of the turn) for 5 turns! His kill count in that game was a Commander, 3 Crisis suits, 15 Fire Warriors, some drones and a Riptide! Very proud of their performance:

wQnzEKR.jpg

This month's tournament is in 2 weeks time and I'm currently theory crafting how to build the list. I would love to run the same list again as I think it would do really well. As I ran a spearhead previously I now can't as the Venomcrawler is now Fast Attack instead of Heavy Support. Not the end of the world, I just need to shift some points around and sub some units out. I have also been thinking about running the Landraider too so we'll see where that goes!

A very small WIP offering in the form of a Chaos Lord in Power Armour (finally), I think I'll arm them with the Black Mace or Siege Breaker's mace most of the time:

pCWRlBy.jpg

agnX3zl.jpg

h4jOfMG.jpg

Very nice and congratulations on your good showing in the tourney.  Your best painted was well earned, you have a beautiful army.

The guy with the flails is really cool - where are they from?  I'm thinking they might work if I ever want to do my own Lucius conversion.

Thank you Dr, that's very kind! :sweat:

The right hand flail (shorter one) is from the Forge World World Eaters Rampager kit and the left hand one is the flail from the Warcry Iron Golem kit. The golem hand had to be trimmed away so I attached it to a Havoc hand with the missile trimmed down.

I got some more building work done last night, a quick and dirty conversion for a Forgefiend to make it look a bit more Gun-Beast esque. The connection piece between the two guns is a defiler scourge arm that's been trimmed down (and also needs some GS to fill the hole), this also means it has full movement up and down which is a cool add on:

WMAVcO9.jpg

xQCO1kS.jpg

N6MKWe5.jpg

I've also been looking at how to build my list for the next tournament, so far I'm thinking:

Lord Discordant - MoT, Q'O'Ak the Boundless, Daemonsmith, Magmacutter, Baleflamer

Master of Possession - MoT

Terminator Squad - MoK, All Accursed Weapons and stormbolters

Helbrute - MoT, Plasma Cannon, Fist

Forgefiend - 3x Ectoplasma Cannons

Maulerfiend - Lashertendrils

1x Oblit

With the Master of Possession having MoT, he can throw out the Skiens of Fate on the Helbrute to give him a 4++, Cursed Earth to give everything else 4++ too. The Terminators won't really need to the 4++ all that often I think, it's tempting to give them the Black Rune too as they're definitely angling to be objective holders.

Thank you both!

Dr, I dry fitted the mount in a few places further back but I couldn't get it to sit somewhere looking right. If it went back a bit, it would struggle to get the guns to bear on a target ahead of it. However it does look like it would slightly over balanced towards the front :sweat:

I got quite a lot of work done on the Iron Warriors over the weekend! In my quest for having one of every Daemon engine, I decided to make a Defiler out of an Armiger that a friend gave me and some spare bits I had in the bits box. I've nicknamed this guy the Turtlewalker:

IuvuGCh.jpg

aw6JzVn.jpg

9Ryt7aK.jpg

ezhBr7F.jpg

NveyRd0.jpg

dBK4meo.jpg

Now that it's all one colour, it looks a lot more cohesive: QmhYKhA.jpg

The overarching weapon can be whatever I need it to be Autocannon, Heavy Bolter and Lascannon as it looks like it could pass as any of those. The right hand weapon is magnetised so it can either be a Havoc Launcher, Scourge or twin flamer. The footprint isn't the same as an actual defiler, however the height makes up for it, I think.

I also got the next wave of Iron Warriors Sprayed and they've had a coat of Basilicanum Grey too:

gTDgFTx.jpg

I finally got the Bannerbearer done too! He's been sat on my painting desk for months just with a spraycoat. I'll likely run this guy as an Exalted Champion, I had built him with the old codex to either have a Maul or a Hammer. Now he's just got a fancy looking Axe! I'll have to figure out a way to make a Combi melta and have it on him somewhere:

RuKF0MU.jpg

eiPvUPU.jpg

dKSpNZ0.jpg

uLpiUNN.jpg

ZbXVZ4a.jpg

The 1k Tournament is next weekend and I'm still umming and ahhhing over a couple of things for the list. The bits that I'm reconsidering are:

The Lord Disco's WLT and whether to take a Forgefiend with 3x Plasma or a Defiler with Havoc Launcher.

Lord Disco's WLT was originally: Daemonsmith which allows me to give +1 to hit to one Daemonengine, Cult of Destruction or Machine Spirit. As he's always going to be running around with the Maulerfiend, the Daemonsmith trait allows him to drop it on the Oblit if needed or could also go for the Forgefiend/Defiler. This is one of the reason why I want to run the Defiler is that it should generally be in range for this.

If I were to swap the WLT, it would either be to: Flames of Spite or Unyielding Mettle. Unyielding mettle is nice, it is +1T and also a 5+ FNP. However with the MoT, I'm not sure the Lord Disco needs extra staying power as it should nearly always be safe from ranged weapons if I manage to play them right. Flames of Spite is really handy if he gets stuck in with a big unit of 1W models, which is where the model struggles most I think. It also helps when swinging into enemy models that are quite tough.

The other toss up in the list is the Forgefiend and the Defiler. The Fiend is nice for putting out consistent 3D shots. Its not great in combat but should be able ot hold its own in the centreboard. The main problem I have with it is that I already have units that can hold my centre/rear board pretty well. The Helbrute is great for backfield and the terminators, oblit and MoP are great for staying just out of the fight but still doing the work they need to. The Defiler would be great for doing double duty for pushing up the board and getting in the opponent's face whilst also still being able to shoot when needed. With the cheapest loadout, it puts out: D6 (blast) S5 shots, 4 S7 shots and D6 (Blast) S8, -2, 3D shots, plus it's Defiler Claws in combat. It's definitely not awful for it's points so I think I'm going to give it a go :sweat:

16 minutes ago, TrawlingCleaner said:

The Inexorable advance pushes ever onwards, I got some colour down on the Defiler. Still a bunch to do but it's good to see it taking shape:

VB3p0zs.jpg

Hs5n85G.jpg

Your defiler looks so damn good! More people should have a go at their own converted daemon engines (including myself!)

Now where did I put that spare Armiger and Venomcrawler...

Thanks Ninja!

I'm a big fan of kitbashing and converting, it's definitely one of my favourite parts of the hobby (in fact, the Venomcrawler and the Lord Discordant are the only two models in this army that haven't been converted in some form. Bases aside). Building is everyone's jam, I know a good few hobbyists that hate building but love painting. Different strokes and all that

If you're thinking about kitbashing more, take the plunge! I'd love to see some kitbashes :thumbsup: