Mixed Marines

Montuhotep

Just need some advice,

Would you consider using a mix of Primaris and Firstborn Marines in the same force?

I'm thinking of a Scars successor (to avoid painting white) as all-mobile as possible.

In this instance would you have the Primaris as the 'Assault' element or the 'Line Holder' role?

I, myself, cannot do it. I find the scale and aesthetics to be incompatible to the point of being distraction and offending my OCD.  I have my baby marine forces (Blood Angels and Iron Hands) and my Primaris forces (Black Templar and Raven Guard).  Do not put new wine in old vessels, and do not cross the streams.

For those bothered by the looks of firstborn next to primaris, is easy to mix primaris bodies with old marine kits to make really good looking classic units. For example see the upscaled Long Fangs in this thread: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336005-wip-primaris-size-space-wolves/page-8?do=findComment&comment=5669254

Is very easy to do and looks great.

Regarding the questions of the OP, yes in White Scars most of the most White Scar-ie elements are better suited to the aggressive Firstborn units, whilst the slower moving line holders can be Primaris fairly enough. This doesn't mean you can't take Outsiders or unitsof Bladeguardin Impulsors, but normal bikers would suit you well so don't forget that.

Mixed forces work very well in Marines armies, with Firstborn and Primaris complementing each other. It is also satisfying to take armies dedicated to Primaris or Firstborn as well, or heavily leaning towards one.

I think a White Scars army, like the Blood Angels, benefits a lot from a Firstborn emphasis. I'd definitely fill up on Attack Bikes, Bike squads (Chainswords and special weapons ho!) and Vanguard Veterans. The latter will make you cackle like a maniac when you roll Lightning Claw attacks in Assault Doctrine - I don't know the exact maths but I think they kill Marines better than Ork Boyz!

Just need some advice,

Would you consider using a mix of Primaris and Firstborn Marines in the same force?

I'm thinking of a Scars successor (to avoid painting white) as all-mobile as possible.

In this instance would you have the Primaris as the 'Assault' element or the 'Line Holder' role?

There are only a couple of reasons not to mix them

1) you don't like how it looks.

2) your worried about firstborn being squatted. 

Point 1 is extremely subjective, point 2 is a valid concern but GW is putting in a lot of effort to keeping the old relevant and there is big HH box set coming soon. It may happen but I wouldn't expect it for years.

As far as roles are concerned Firstborn and Primaris have units that fit in both categories. Your better off looking for the units you like, and then addressing the weak spots. If your not sure where to start, I'd look up battle reports on you tube, ask the scars players for advice, and if your planning on tournaments check out goon hammer (they have some great getting started articles).

I think the new Heresy marines will change how people perceive Firstborn and I think we may see a bit of a resurgence. I don't fully understand the idea that some have Primaris and Firstborn are not the same army and should be treated separately personally speaking. 

The only real impact I can see in game terms is stratagems that purely target Primaris.