Dracos' 9th Ed tactica ... more salty musings ;)

Dracos

I’ve always been (and will be) a strong proponent of infantry over vehicles for the Astartes. In the current environment that dogma is costing me games due to the ridiculously high quantity of and in many cases quality of said quantity damage. Unless you’re Deathwing and maybe(?) Black Templar you’re just not going to be competitive against the upper tiers of Drukhari … and in my mind soon to add to that Tyranid and Aeldari. You could add Leviathan and Mechanicus to that list with the right player … and Emperor knows Tau are around the corner.

I’m going to work at it but I don’t see RG infantry weathering much at the moment especially given the uselessness of cover saves that seem to get ignored about as much as everything new under the dark sun is also getting -1 damage … besides our infantry of course.

I've been gone from the board for a while, but the reasons you outline here are why I've pretty much given up on my Raven Guard in 40k for the foreseeable future. Mine are Raven Guard proper, not a successor, and I really don't like what GW has done to our Chapter Tactic. We have (as far as I'm aware) the only Tactic that can be completely nullified in the Movement phase. 

I was having a hard enough time dealing with my playing groups factions without dealing with the upper tier of competitive factions. I don't mind losing games because I made a mistake or because the dice didn't go my way or because my opponent just outmaneuvered me. It happens. I really dislike losing games where the outcome was all but pre-determined based on what army is on the other side of the table. 

I've been playing 30k for the last year and a half, and have been enjoying it much more because my Raven Guard actually feel lore appropriate without being weak. I'm honestly a little nervous about GWs rules team taking over writing the rules for Heresy. 

• 3 weeks later...

For me, the main problem with our chapter tactic is that it was successively nerfed while every other chapter tactic was successively buffed. However, we can look at tyrannids to hopefully see what it will become in the next book (if GW remember we exist). Leviathan? get dense cover outside of 18" for monsters and outside of 12" for everything else. In casual games, it might be worth asking opponents if you can use this, instead of the current one?

• 2 weeks later...

For me, the main problem with our chapter tactic is that it was successively nerfed while every other chapter tactic was successively buffed. However, we can look at tyrannids to hopefully see what it will become in the next book (if GW remember we exist). Leviathan? get dense cover outside of 18" for monsters and outside of 12" for everything else. In casual games, it might be worth asking opponents if you can use this, instead of the current one?

The kick in the pants for me was when they made us have to be farther away for it to function while simultaneously making the board size smaller.

If I do any kind of Marines in 40k again it will be my Deathwatch.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I was saying in the wishlist thread, we need more deployment shenanigans. I tend to give a Phobos Librarian the Lord of Deceit trait, and Master of Ambush to another Primaris character. Even if I do not redeploy aggressively, it does bewilder my opponent to see me redeploy up to 3 Phobos units and another character as well as a non-centurion infantry unit. I only wish that there was yet another warlord trait that allowed a character to bring an infantry squad along to arrive via Outflank.

I try to build lists that allow me to either aggressively hit a parking lot or castle from multiple angles while I try to control as many objectives as I can, or versus Orks or Tyranids types, goad them into over-extending, and then spring my trap.

Hell, I would bring Gladiatiors, if they gave us a mock up rule. Imagine bringing 2 Lancers but one is a mock up. Only the real one can shoot, and the mock up has the same toughness, can't move, and once the mock up takes an unsaved wound from a S6+ weapon it is removed, and does not explode. Just write "real" on one slip of paper, "mock up" on another, fold them, and place them under each vehicle discretely. It would be hilarious! Theoretically there would be a 50/50 chance of the mock up being destroyed before the real tank, BUT a canny opponent would look at how they are deployed. Theoretically, the real tank would be deployed with better lines of sight, but not be sitting out in the open begging to be fired upon, and if there is a Techmarine, he would be closer to the real tank, and that is EXACTLY what I would want my opponent to think.