Shaping up nicely. Are you going to go glossy red varnish for the techpriest? I think it would suit.

Thanks! I think a milder satin varnish is the finish I’d go for, followed by fairly intense weathering/armor chipping. I hadn’t planned on any initially but now that you ask…

This army is modeled/based to represent the most intense fighting in defense of their keep’s home planet against the invading Word Bearers.

Heavy Intercessors are the best! Nice smooth coloring on the bolt rifles.

Thank you!

I love heavy intercessors. It's really cool how many detail bits of their own they came with, but also the various Templars kits. Allowed me to add a lot of detail. 

I painted everyone else's gun casings red, this time using an airbrush and going over the heavies' guns as well. Masking everything off took a lot of  work, but I love the smooth results of the airbrush not requiring 5+ layers by brush. Of course, a tradeoff, due to the amount of time it took to mask.

At any rate, I'm happy with the result. Highlight hopefully comes tomorrow:

YgTzvus.jpeg

And the highlights on the swords/gun casings are done. Only minimally messy (neophyte in foreground may or may not have had red paint dripped on him from the airbrush while totally paying a lot of attention to what was happening). Decided to highlight the techmarine in the same color, and I really like how he turned out. Really happy in general so far:

HlYjPuX.jpeg

kWh5itl.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

The Chrysaetos Crusade is very much inspired by Byzantine/Eastern Roman history, and as such I decided to paint the capes of the Sword Brethren and command staff purple. Only 1 color purple sprayed, anything that looks like light effects are... effects from the light above the minis. :biggrin.:

OClGXBG.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

Working on a gravis marshal. I really do not like the boltstorm gauntlet, so what began as something intended to only be minor is turning out to be a lot of work, but I'm actually pretty happy with the results. There is some more work to be done, including some green stuff, but I bet tomorrow I'll have him ready to be sprayed black.

pEAH2iw.jpeg

uHI9oBl.jpeg

EVXPFFq.jpeg

The Gravis Captain looks much better already.

I have always thought the original model looked a bit ridiculous.

Looks great! Been holding off on assembling my new Gravis Captain because the boltstorm gauntlet does look a little bit goofy. This gives me some ideas for swapping it around. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! There are certainly lots of cool elements, but that dang goofy gauntlet throws it off. Thankfully I had enough heavy intercessor bits left over to experiment until I found something I liked.

Here's the progress I made today. I think I've reached the point where I'm just about done adding extra stuff to him. Sculpted a little bit, still a bit of sculpting left to do:

pOnUhqw.jpeg

h8AVFgN.jpeg

tSBEaNy.jpeg

Took a break from sculpting. Not totally thrilled with the power fist, so I'm going to bulk it up a bit to be closer to the actual gravis version.

In the mean time, I started painting the gold parts of the scheme, including the shoulder trim. For this Byzantine inspired crusade, it seemed like the right choice and I'm happy with it. A bit messy, I should switch brushes but it's getting done:

ET4iPbp.jpeg

Have been working sporadically but taking fewer progress shots. Health stuff, family stuff, priorities.

At any rate, I've worked some more on Sword Brother Aleksan. Vague plans to use him as a castellan with the teeth of Terra.

Since I chose purple for cloaks, I didn't really want red shoulder trim. Gold made a lot more sense to me, and I'm quite happy with my choice. Results aren't perfect but it feels good to be making progress regardless:

8STl8g4.jpeg

bJF8JnY.jpeg

WPTvDhX.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

• 5 weeks later...

Have fully built 9 eradicators, ready for their ceramite to receive a layer of sacred black primer.

Full unit:

gePJIkj.jpeg

Each of the 9 battle brothers individually:

FLLCmqK.jpg

zCkts4u.jpg

mw89f9S.jpg

WNUESXQ.jpg

vUNhtMC.jpg

c4c2yfh.jpg

JW9A4df.jpg

ogrlVTD.jpg

Edited by Khornestar

Glad to see progress being made despite real-life adversity hampering your efforts. :tu:

Keep it up!

Many thanks, sword brother. One must still make use of the opportunities available, and the hobby is very therapeutic for me right now.

A little more work.

Bladeguard/Ancient:

tGu7K7i.jpeg

kNHbsII.jpeg

Primaris Crusader Initiate with Power Fist:

eKqqNXe.jpeg

ZUEO6Xa.jpeg

Primaris Crusader Sword Brother:

Dear gods, this guy was so much work... by the end I was so eager to fill gaps with glue and bits I just slapped stuff wherever it needed to go so I didn't have to sculpt anything.

But in the end, I'm quite happy with how he turned out. I wanted something different. Perhaps this Sword Brother has Bladeguard Veteran honors, but needed to step up to lead a squad of crusaders, so here he is:

bJf6ez2.jpeg

Ok, all of the brother-initiates for my third and final primaris crusader squad have been built:

Group shot (note the sword brother is pointing his pistol instead of his finger):

36AjTwd.jpeg

Brother-Initiate Diocletian:

onz1IEc.jpeg

Brother-Initiate Kallinicus, with my attempt at a Mk.VIII Ares pattern eviscerator:

p7qeyJC.jpeg

nnr7SZ1.jpeg

BThGO0B.jpeg

And the Sword Brother Ignatios from my first crusader squad rebuilt/to be repainted. Managed to squirt thin superglue all over him, so mad about that. Oh well:

1r98woe.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

And now, finishing the build of my 3rd unit of crusaders with the neophytes. Still need to scrape a few mold lines, it looks like, and drill their barrels but that's it for today:

r4Vo97e.jpeg

4T4VKu4.jpeg

ASWJ4yj.jpeg

MW4bO5c.jpeg

4nsaE70.jpeg

5UtxlSc.jpeg

ZlHx2Ya.jpeg

Uqfoa3O.jpeg

BZYvNuF.jpeg

r6fyUzk.jpeg

ZXociiE.jpeg

FklQXw9.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

Built some aggressors today, 3/6 built. 

I gotta say this is the first primaris kit that I really don't like. The combination of arms and tubing really limits the ability to pose them, and their shoulder guards are much bigger than the primaris upgrade kit that fits well on bladeguard vets, heavy intercessors, and eradicators just fine.

The sword brother (sergeant) for the unit has both flamers retracted and is about to engage in a desperate grapple with the enemy, having the tubing on his left arm connecting to the prometheum tank severed by an enemy blade and then ejected to prevent him from getting tangled up. This handwaves my errors in trying to cut and repose the tubing and then just saying screw it:

VBlM86F.jpeg

XWmL7GO.jpeg

sP02fdf.jpeg

GuGhavX.jpeg