The Gravis Captain looks much better already.

I have always thought the original model looked a bit ridiculous.

Looks great! Been holding off on assembling my new Gravis Captain because the boltstorm gauntlet does look a little bit goofy. This gives me some ideas for swapping it around. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you! There are certainly lots of cool elements, but that dang goofy gauntlet throws it off. Thankfully I had enough heavy intercessor bits left over to experiment until I found something I liked.

Here's the progress I made today. I think I've reached the point where I'm just about done adding extra stuff to him. Sculpted a little bit, still a bit of sculpting left to do:

pOnUhqw.jpeg

h8AVFgN.jpeg

tSBEaNy.jpeg

That is a elegant solution to the nasty shooty fist

Tyvm. I feel like I wanna sculpt a bigger armor plate on top to beef it up a bit. Looks like it’s just kinda hanging down by his side right now. Also wanna adjust the angle of his sword arm a little. I obsess over these little things, but he’s “almost there” for me.

Finished building the aggressors tonight. Sacred black primer tomorrow. I think I'm gonna call it here for building things, and get back to painting. Need to be ready for the CSM release, and I have a lot of Templars to work on:

eFaeMk1.jpeg

Cv8Ndtz.jpeg

• 2 months later...

I’ve worked on my Templars a ton, I need to take some progress shots.

I’ve also been derailed from Templars due to the new chaos space marines codex. I’m assembling minis I’ve been sitting on for a while.

Let’s check this photo upload feature out…

Here are the chosen I’ve been working on:

93A265B9-7940-4EF2-B976-B4D091DA967F.jpeg

C30D8E04-A088-44E8-AA79-F019F0E08BE7.jpeg

24BDF3B1-D671-4976-AE6C-3D22AC4537FE.jpeg

28A89601-03B5-44CB-B26D-2096769661A1.jpeg

DAC7E013-7153-48BB-949E-2B5B9A14C255.jpeg

4F02A264-2F04-45BE-98E4-AE2FD55E5F20.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

Mostly finished with this Word Bearers terminator lord, possessed by a daemon.

He’s a pawn of Erebus, enslaved with a daemon-infested chain. The daemon occasionally bursts through, revealing an eye, creepy tentacles, and an arm gripping his trophies of tribute from recent victims.

His first command was to slay the former commander of a significant war host from within the legion known as the Chapter of the Risen Phoenix. The conclusion of that command is evident on his trophy rack. He has as of yet been unable to resist the daemon compelling him to obey Erebus, but he’s trying… Until he can, over a thousand warriors are in the dark apostle’s pocket.

I liked kitbashing the terminator lord and newer terminator kits. I wanted to make him a bit weird, so I added the tentacles and arm. I was thinking of Shuma-Gorath from Marvel vs. Capcom as I sculpted the tentacles.

7AED861B-D250-4C32-856F-04F29513A8FF.jpeg

E62BF80E-C52B-4B47-AF2D-83B4DE59DE58.jpeg

DB3F9D36-C741-4FF4-99BB-2183E6E901FF.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

Updated the lord a bit. The chainaxe wasn’t quite unique enough for him. Still a little sculpting to do, but only minor things.

I’ve also finished building my Anointed terminator unit for the Chapter of the Risen Phoenix. Magnetized arms and guns so I can have 4 combi flamers/meltas, 6 fists, 2 chainfists, and the 8 accursed weapons. I feel crazy, having done it.

B3613C5B-15EF-4E56-BA9C-D7CD7B475422.jpeg

903A8B2A-B1A5-495F-8B8F-B1C8058279AE.jpeg

4FF1FB0C-FAC6-43C3-B451-48D221B8AE65.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

45 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

The mutated lord with the extra arm is great. That sword looks fantastic on him, too. Which kit is his head from? It's so familiar but I can't quite place it...

Thank you! I had lots of fun building him.

It’s from the WFB skullcrushers kit, with the Khornate iconography trimmed away.

• 2 weeks later...

Your conversions are all great, Khornestar - I particularly like the chosen head on the old aspiring champion model, its a great fit.

If I were to have one quibble, it that I think you need to do something with the back of the terminator head trophy on your lord - its smoothness makes it stand out for what it is - the featureless ball on a piece that gets glued into a socket - which is especially noticeable given how detailed the rest of the model is.

Where are all the funky swords from?

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

21 hours ago, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Your conversions are all great, Khornestar - I particularly like the chosen head on the old aspiring champion model, its a great fit.

If I were to have one quibble, it that I think you need to do something with the back of the terminator head trophy on your lord - its smoothness makes it stand out for what it is - the featureless ball on a piece that gets glued into a socket - which is especially noticeable given how detailed the rest of the model is.

Where are all the funky swords from?

Thank you! I agree, I need to create some sort of opening for where the former wearer’s head would have been, some ripped up armor plating; something like that.

Most of the funky swords are from the AoS varanguard and skullreaper kits. They’re absolutely perfect for 40k daemon weapons. Still, kitbashed with the 40k kits. The terminator lord’s is spliced with the CSM terminators kit power sword, and the aspiring champion’s is a cut down haft of the chainaxe from the Shadowspear kit.

Edited by Khornestar

The GW air gal vorbak red arrived, sprayed it on a test mini and I’m really happy with the look. All systems go for the years long process of painting this army. :D

Recipe:

Vallejo Surface Primer (Black) > Vallejo Mecha Primer (Ivory) > GW Gal Vorbak Red Air

5DC45764-C662-4A88-8F84-05F0265CC045.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar

• 3 weeks later...

Working on my BT crusade force a bit more, decided to build the storm speeder. I magnetized the sponsons (not the inserts since they stick well) for a better fit that won’t get loose, the front guns, and the turret weapons. The missiles look cool and I couldn’t be bothered to magnetize those. I already get carried away.

C22FD613-C071-45A9-ACFD-653D1A82027D.jpeg

3545EC69-6599-4CB1-A3AA-C412D0CF0C98.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Building the coolest of tanks, the Kratos. The Chrysaetos Crusade, being a larger crusade, has access to many incredible weapons of war and relics of the past, including the Kratos Paladin.

Im adding more Templar bits and such to really make it fit in with the ornate style of the rest of the minis in the army.

485A8BA3-2AD9-4591-B53F-A346E199D1BF.jpeg

87028D2B-CE19-44D1-880B-C08F43C57BD6.jpeg

Edited by Khornestar