New Primaris Unit Rumors

Hi all. These rumors come from Valrak, more specifically his source that has been very reliable in the past.
He has just released a brief video going over this information.

The summary is as follows:

-New versions of the Chapter Supplements (Iron Hands, Imperial Fists, Ultramarines, etc)

-New long-range, high-damage, Primaris infantry unit. Squad armed with Missile Launchers.

-New "Heavy" Primaris Dreadnought. Armed with a more powerful close combat weapon and Meltas.

Edit: Fixed a typo

Edited by Xenith
vague title.

Unsurprising and uninspiring.

CSM and Eldar can't even have the limelight for a day I guess.

We’ve just literally had a month long advent calendar of Eldar rumours. That’s a pretty decent share of the limelight!

In terms of a new dread that would be really cool but I really hope it’s got a built in invulnerable save.

Missile launcher Primaris is a bit less exciting but some decent ranged infantry that isn’t an overpriced hellblaster will be welcome.

None of those kits would be a surprise. The supplements also need to be redone. Did he give a time frame though?

Could see eldar through Chaos being the big spring summer releases and then maybe Primaris vs. World Eaters in the fall.

IG and Nids need their 9th codex very thirsty. 

Gotta keep the shareholders happy... 

Primaris Ironclad (kinda)? I like it, hopefully not too potbellied though as has been the trend

Armour type for the missilators will be interesting but guessing tacticus

The vid also says Codex 2.0 but that his own conjecture not the source. Am pouring the salt on that one as IIRC 8th ed codex 2.0 had a fair few new datasheets in it, a 9th ed codex 2.0 would have 2.5 as it stands

Wonder will these marines be in a box (with Gravis captain)? Theres a possible chaos vehicle from rumour engine with a claw plus the solid leak mentioned Possessed and Chaos Bikers so theres a possible big battle box for 5 or 6 months time

Edited by Dark Shepherd

This is a Valrak thing, not GW making a new announcement.

It has been multiple days since the last Space Marine announcement, which is proof that Games Workshop hates us.

To be honest, I was expecting new supplements sooner or later in this edition - I hope they use this as an opportunity to belt out some more character models, but I won't cross my fingers.

They didn't update any of the BA/DA/SW characters with those supplements, so not certain we'll see them do it for the other chapters. That said, if they do, it'd be nice for them to loop back around to BA/DA especially, who really have just some ancient characters.

On supplements. I only expect the first 6 to get redone, and the assumption is each supplement may get a chapter specific kit and super upgrade.

The 4 newer supplements I don't expect to get redone any time soon

Please no. 

I know it's almost a certainty, but it's beyond comical that we still have a slew of armies which haven't had a single new model in many, many years, and have rules so obsolete as to be barely functional with the current rate of paradigm-altering codex updates. 

The thus-far reliable leak paints this upcoming year as very Chaos and Eldar themed in terms of content, but with Guard and Tyranids - both pretty piss-poor armies at the moment outside of some spoiler builds even in casual settings - still just "???" on timelines, and likely to get little to no model support, the idea of another splash wave of Primaris and a possible, though less likely 2.0 codex and all the supplements being updated is just painful. 

The only way I'd be able to stomach another marines 2.0 book is if they properly split Primaris from Firstborn. The most recent book was a pretty big kick in the teeth to firstborn, as while they gained a 2nd wound, they lost almost all stratagem support, due to most things either being Primaris keyworded or tied to a specific primaris unit only. 

The only way I'd be able to stomach another marines 2.0 book is if they properly split Primaris from Firstborn. The most recent book was a pretty big kick in the teeth to firstborn, as while they gained a 2nd wound, they lost almost all stratagem support, due to most things either being Primaris keyworded or tied to a specific primaris unit only.

I hear you! But sadly highly unlikely. :(

I can't even muster enthusiasm for a redone IF supplement. 

But well, yay. 

Pretty curious about the ironclad redemptor. Gravis armor has shown they can fix the worse parts of the primaris launch day designs with following releases if they want to, so who knows...

Edited by Fenriwolf

From what was said in the video, I don't think a new Codex is on the way imminently.

They are updating the codex chapter supplements, and in fairness they do need an update as some of them are very underpowered and dull by the current 9th edition standard (sadly I'm looking at you, Imperial Fists).

That being said, if there are multiple units and kits that aren't in the main codex book, then ideally it should also be updated sooner rather than later.