[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

Very interesting!

How will it work for the mechanics of XP spending?

To use Oswyld as an example, in terms of character/RP, he'll do very little to 'worship' any of the Gods, even avoiding and looking down on such behaviour.

...but in XP terms, as a CC focused character I'll be aiming for the Khornate skills?

Does this mean he'll stay Undivided (because of his lack of RP devotions) and therefore continue to pay for Khorne abilities at the Unaligned price?

As to Char-Gen sheets, please do let me know how I can be of service! :thumbsup:

Ah yes I left the xp spend portion out! I think I'm going to leave the discounted/increased spend depending on alignment in place for now, so depending on the long-term build you have in mind for your character it may be advantageous to remain unaligned for a while before declaring their allegiance, so to speak. Think of it as your god of choice giving you a "polite" nudge in a particular direction, but at the end of the day they're more interested in what you do vs what you know. Otherwise I will not be counting the xp spend as having any relevance towards your character's true alignment, so hopefully this will lead to some very interesting and unorthodox play-styles. 

Edit: I hope that answers your question @Lysimachus.

As an aside, I'm more than willing to support an "unaligned" alignment as well (a la Abaddon, Be'lakor, or everyone's favorite Night Lords), unlike the base system. We'll have to work out some things on the fly if that is your wish, but we can still make it work. 

Edited by Necronaut

Abraxus is unaligned as well- he is distrustful of the Chaos Gods and seeks to improve himself via his own merits rather than those of fickle "gods", similar to his former Alpha Legion brethren. However, if a worthy leader arises and challenges this view, maybe...

Aside- maybe I'm missing where Our Hands Bring Death is, can't find that rule to see what I need to do/change if needed.

Question to all- I'm debating on my second wargear acquisition. The first is Abraxus' cloak, which is non-negotiable, but the second I am unsure of. I originally decided on a single magazine of Stalker bolt shells to emphasize his nature as a sniper (one Stalker round, one silent kill) but I'm wondering if simply upgrading his bolter to have a silencer would work better as it would work with all the ammo he could use (and his weapon is modelled with a silencer/telescopic sight, so I eventually want to get them both). Any thoughts? 

Just looking at the two options, the Stalker shells have an extra -10 over the Silencer to be detected (-30 rather than -20)... but you only get the value for that single clip of 28 shots, and each shot does -2 Damage.

Based on that, I just don't see the extra -10 to be spotted to be worth it, and would definitely go with the Silencer?

Edit: ninja'd!

Edited by Lysimachus

I like the notion of a more rp / narrative focused Progression on the Infamy/ corruption / alignment issue very much. I think it suits the current group set up very much and I personally like seeing the characters develop these things more organically anyway.

It also gives some of the character  ideas a bit more leeway, which should  paradoxically ease my decision as I am not forced to set up or avoid certain skills / talents from the beginning just to stay unaligned or because I would like the character to develop in a certain direction :thumbsup:

14 hours ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Aside- maybe I'm missing where Our Hands Bring Death is, can't find that rule to see what I need to do/change if needed.

OHBD is a House Rule, removing all Two-Weapon Fighting penalties and Talent Requirements for Astartes only.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite my years of hobbying, and many a bits in the bits box I find I have surprisingly few Chaos bits, and even fewer that are not Chaos Space Marine derived. So in my quest for light power armour model to convert I did not get far, and my preferred option of a Fantasy Chaos Warrior was not to hand either, so instead Sakal now looks like this.

Spoiler

image.png.652ad6e6ee4a57e013794bf5b04a2792.png

Still need to chose a head, under consideration I have:

Spoiler

image.png.3ba8e1dec373d761562face7cd96b57b.png

Tempestususususus Scion, Dark Elder Scourge, another Scion, Necromunda Enforcer and Mechanicum Hoplite

Edited by Trokair

That is indeed a Skitarii backpack.

As for spike helmet, that can be trimmed of, I included it because the other scion head has a Aquila on it that I would have to file of (and if ea I would screw that up) while spike helmet just has a skull so can be a backup head if I go for scion heads.

I am leaning towards the hopilite head, or a plastic AdMech vanguard head as both of those have similar little rivets things similar to what is on the armour.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hey gang, I deeply apologize for the radio silence on this project and for teasing all of you mercilessly only to pull the rug on you all last fall. I have been toiling away recently re-working everything I thought I previously wanted to do, and have developed/story-boarded an introductory adventure which I hope will live up to the high standards of this board. I still need some more time for planning and encounter/challenges preparation, but we could conceivably kick this off sometime this summer, presumably after the conclusion of Mazer's hair-raising Damocles Contingency (which would be useful for setting myself a semi-solid deadline).

If any of my original conscripts are still interested in participating in this endeavour, please reply in here with any questions/comments/concerns, etc. I have been giving serious thought to starting equipment, and I have reconsidered my previous position as being needlessly restrictive, concluding I may have been a bit too eager to tell people "no" with regard to things their characters might have on hand, and tweaking equipment available to the various character archetypes in the book. I am happy to work with each of you to have semi-customized kits (within reason) for your characters as befits villains of your stature and resources. Additionally, while I plan to use Infamy as a measure of your characters' worth/status in-game, I think I will likely have to adopt a system more analogous to what Lysimachus did with Plunder in order to actually make sense of the economics of the Vortex. Call it a kind of hybrid system if you like. Expect it to have a slightly loose feel with barter, paying in valuables and quid pro quos being the ordinary medium of exchange, in addition to just plain theft, bribery and intimidation. I don't really want to get bogged down deeply in the mechanics and would prefer to apply the rules with only as much cruelty as necessary. 

Edited by Necronaut

Amazing, I was wondering what we'd do once Damocles finishes, wonderful! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: should give Mazer plenty of time to write another DH adventure, am I right...? :yes:

I need to go back and check Oswyld's sheet...

Edited by Lysimachus

For the record, I'm not holding @Mazer Rackham to any sort of deadline, just making an educated guess as to when we might begin our collective descent into heresy. Our intrepid GM from the slightly-less-morally-dubious end of the campaign spectrum can comment further. 

16 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

Amazing, I was wondering what we'd do once Damocles finishes, wonderful! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Edit: should give Mazer plenty of time to write another DH adventure, am I right...? :yes:

I need to go back and check Oswyld's sheet...

Or  another Space Hulk Mission.