[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

I'll look at my character tomorrow for the prerequisite stuff, as all my stuff is at work and tonight I have to take care of a sick wife.

I think the only weird thing I may need GM approval for is switching the Legion Chainsword that is part of a Chosen's gear for a Power Blade, which is more in keeping with an AL-style infiltrator/assassin. Luckily the stats are the same aside from damage type and the chainsword having the Tearing special rule while the power blade has the power field rule.

I seem to have opened a can of worm with my questions, I am so sorry, that was not my intent.

I guess I better go and reread what to do with the now available XP, aside from getting Weapon Training (Plasma).

I am having a little trouble getting my head around additional starting equipment as step 6 of character creation. I think it means I can get up to two things (as my infamy is 22) that are Rare (or more common than that). For additional weapons and equipment this makes sense. But for upgrades to starting equipment I am less sure.

Necronaut mention that there would be a guide, so I will await that post to see if that clears things up.

You have nothing to apologize for -- I am a stickler for precision of language and economy of words, particularly in this medium as related to RPGs, and sometimes I need to discuss these things out loud with others to get the right of things.

Don't worry about item acquisition for now -- there will be plenty of time for that, and yes I plan to write a comprehensive guide for how to navigate the intricacies of the Black Crusade item acquisition rules. They are honestly not that complex, but are pretty poorly presented, in my view.

I'll look at my character tomorrow for the prerequisite stuff, as all my stuff is at work and tonight I have to take care of a sick wife.

I think the only weird thing I may need GM approval for is switching the Legion Chainsword that is part of a Chosen's gear for a Power Blade, which is more in keeping with an AL-style infiltrator/assassin. Luckily the stats are the same aside from damage type and the chainsword having the Tearing special rule while the power blade has the power field rule.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have had this idea in my head of strongly encouraging everyone to use their starting kit for this as-is, as I do want this to have somewhat of a more low/dark fantasy and gritty feel, that and as soon as I let one person alter their starting load-out, then I will have to grant the same courtesy to everyone else.

Let's table the discussion of starting equipment and item acquisitions for the time being, if you please. I would like to finish getting more of the groundwork laid before I start looking at anything on a case-by-case basis.

edit: also please disregard the previous discussion regarding meeting pre-reqs for skills/talents/traits that your character has baked in at the time of creation. You will obviously need to meet the requirements for anything pertaining your allotment of starting XP, and any future XP expenditures, but everything your character begins play with is sacrosanct.

Edited by Necronaut

You make a compelling argument. FFG's ruling in the errata is actually quite unclear and extremely punitive RAW. To be fair, this has never come up as an issue in any previous game of Black Crusade I have ever played; I should have just stayed the course.

I really wonder sometimes what their game designers were thinking. And yet, I keep playing their RPGs... It must be some character flaw on my part.

I agree with your first point, a lot of FFG's stuff is all over the bloody place - and Wrath & Glory is just the same.  It's almost like they printed the books without the damn proofreaders and copyeditors being in the same room.

And yet...FFG books are excellent.  The depth and skill they are mostly crafted with makes them a flawed masterpiece.  For all the peripheral rules crashes, the systems work well, and are fairly well balanced.  The trick, I find, is to treat the books, not as Rulebooks, but as GM guidebooks.

I seem to have opened a can of worm with my questions, I am so sorry, that was not my intent.

I guess I better go and reread what to do with the now available XP, aside from getting Weapon Training (Plasma).

No can of worms opened here.  This is necessary ground laying so the GM and players know where they stand.  An unasked question is an opportunity to enhance play that is missed.

Like your Plasma Talent for example...you don't really need it... ;)

@ Lord Ikka, I hope the good lady feels better soon.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Well it's like FFG had decided no one really want's to play Renegades when CSM are so Great, so lets make it hard to actually play Humans.

I get that the CSM's are great because they've had a lot of training, but hang on throw the squishy meat-bag a break!

I think that somewhere along the line as Mazer said, stuff has been either missed, errata'ed away or lost. FFG haven't been listening to it's playtesting division or has misfiled pertinent rules.

I think that the Renegades not having the correct skill for their gear can be hand wavium'ed as saying that when they went Rogue they grabbed that nice 'Shiny Plasma Gun' because it was 'There' but they only know how to fire it.

Point end that doesn't have a handle at enemy and press the trigger. Why's it get so hot and why has Nigel only got one hand?

Edited by Machine God

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I have had this idea in my head of strongly encouraging everyone to use their starting kit for this as-is, as I do want this to have somewhat of a more low/dark fantasy and gritty feel, that and as soon as I let one person alter their starting load-out, then I will have to grant the same courtesy to everyone else.

Let's table the discussion of starting equipment and item acquisitions for the time being, if you please. I would like to finish getting more of the groundwork laid before I start looking at anything on a case-by-case basis.

edit: also please disregard the previous discussion regarding meeting pre-reqs for skills/talents/traits that your character has baked in at the time of creation. You will obviously need to meet the requirements for anything pertaining your allotment of starting XP, and any future XP expenditures, but everything your character begins play with is sacrosanct.

No problem- it's not a big deal, and getting a proper power blade/knife can be a minor story hook for Abraxus. He's better with his bolter anyway :D

Why's it get so hot and why has Nigel only got one hand?

That's because, Brian, it's what happens when you ask questions when a maniac with knives for teeth and eyes for knees is bearing down on you and you don't shove the business end up his nose.

And no - don't ask where that is either - just pull the shooty thing, and stop being an ingrate!

:biggrin.:

Necronaut: any free slots left? My interest has been piqued but I can't yet guarantee a solid interest/presence.

HI Dos! 

In any case, you could always team up with my character and join Team Erratic

-we could be like the Samuel Jackson / Dwayne Johnson act from that cop movie :p

Yorean Phentari

Former Chapter: [REDACTED]

Geneseed: [REDACTED]

Hatred: Orks!

Pride: Craftsmanship (an artist who cares for his kit and strives to fulfil a picture of the Vision)

Disgrace: Greed (He will claw your arm off for the last piece of Corpse Starch or that Shiny Thing that you just found!)

Motivation: Arcane (The Vision demands the acquisition of new spells and materials)

Archetype: Sorcerer.

What his name was he dimly remembers, it matters not now. He was an Apothecary within his chapter and the world that he was on was plagued by an explosion of Feral Orks. Endlessly slaying the Xenos and administering to his comrades to save them and preserve the precious gene-seed of his chapter. It wasn't his home world or even his chapter world, it was just another battle site.

As he fought the Xenos, the Ork in it's myriad form, his training was shattered and then reforged upon the anvil war, he had doubts. The first time that he had the Vision was after a tense fire-fight. He was the sole survivor within a jungle clearing, his squad were dead at his feet together with half a dozen dead Orks. He was out of ammunition and he had resorted to using his Narthecium to slay. As he administered to his squad he noticed that one of the Orks had knocked over a small cairn of rocks. The world had a small population of primitives who worshipped the Emperor, so he began to rebuild the cairn with his gore stained gauntlets. It was then that he was subjected to the Vision of an ancient edifice steeped in arcane power. He attempted to build the cairn in this image, but he could never get it quite right.

Eventually the Orks were slain and he left the world with his chapter, but he wasn't the same anymore. Haunted by the Vision he left his chapter and sought out other war zones to face the thieving Orks. It was during this time alone that he managed to perfect his Sorcerer abilities.

Eventually Yorean Phentari was born within the Screaming Vortex, a swordsman with skills for hire.

His cannibalised purple Maximus Armour is stained by splashes of Ork blood from hundreds of battles on his world and without - a Sinister studded Corvus Arm together with an Errant Helm mutated by the warp into a toothed maw, completes the ensemble. To look upon his face is to know fear.

----------------------------------------

I may have borrowed some of the concept from a late 70's film and the first name is an anagram of the protagonist minus an r and a y, but it was fun to do.

(Edit: typo)

Edited by Machine God

Edit: Unless you tempt me with an actual Knight :) Gods, that is an awesome new model !

A Scion of a Traitor Knight House who has been stripped of his steed and exiled to the Screaming Vortex because of his rebelliousness...?

Human Renegade profile with the right kit and skills...

Edit: Unless you tempt me with an actual Knight :) Gods, that is an awesome new model !

A Scion of a Traitor Knight House who has been stripped of his steed and exiled to the Screaming Vortex because of his rebelliousness...?

Human Renegade profile with the right kit and skills...

I had a similar character concept a few years ago, except replace the Renegade with Heretek.

I've modded a DW Sheet into a BC version for Oswyld, the Skills/Talents/Traits will need changing for Race and Archetype, and the Armour Systems bit won't apply, but you're welcome to use it if you want?

I'll email a copy over that you can edit as you wish!