[BC] A Vulgar Display of Power: OOC/Discussion Thread

Necronaut

Hey guys, both Mazer and Lysimachus have sent me character sheets -- I have not had a chance to sit down and go through either in detail. I plan to get something sorted out by tonight my time so we're all using the same thing for simplicity's sake. Please bear with me.

Also sorry if things have been a little disjointed -- it has been a while since I have done this and I did not anticipate this level of interest and enthusiasm.

I will try to get a brief blurb thrown up in the data/character thread regarding the setting and some questions you will need to answer (both for yourselves and in your character descriptions) when finalizing your characters as soon as I can.

I've modded a DW Sheet into a BC version for Oswyld, the Skills/Talents/Traits will need changing for Race and Archetype, and the Armour Systems bit won't apply, but you're welcome to use it if you want?

I'll email a copy over that you can edit as you wish!

@Lysimachus - Could you send me a copy too.

Hey guys, both Mazer and Lysimachus have sent me character sheets -- I have not had a chance to sit down and go through either in detail. I plan to get something sorted out by tonight my time so we're all using the same thing for simplicity's sake. Please bear with me.

@Lysimachus - Could you send me a copy too.

I'm happy to share the Sheet with whoever wants it, but might be best to hold off and let Necronaut make any amendments he wants first?

Sorry GM, I should have checked with you before passing stuff out! :)

Nul Abraxus stood in shadow among the crystalline spires of the city Surgub. The aetheric winds that sang through the city saw no interest from him; his hand held the daemon-messenger that summoned him for a new contract. Eyes narrowed, Abraxus studied the partial list of names tattooed on the daemon's skin, nodding to himself as he recognized some.

Crushing the messenger in his hand, Abraxus walked to the derelict warehouse hiding the ship he had hired. Acidic spit sizzled behind his teeth as he remembered the cost of the hiring- his last three Drops of Fool's Sorrow, all that remained from the last dismal contract he had completed. Choosing to join the warband of T'xul the Revenger had not been profitable, losing Abraxus his power knife when T'xul's traitorous corpse fell into the depths of Kurse's planetary center.

Abraxus spat and replaced his helm. Striding onto the debased Aquila transport, he barked a short order to the xenos pilot, relaying the coordinates of the contract's meeting place. It was time to see his new warband and see what they wanted of him.

Edited by Lord_Ikka

Hmm, is there anything on how the characters are supposed  to meet / start in this ?

While I am stomping through my personal post COVID brain fogs for character ideas, it might help to know in which direction to stumble…

Aside from the „dispossessed“ Knight - which I‘d probably go for the Heretek option but  assuming the game propably won‘t encompass getting an actual Knight I might go full DarkMech Heretek, which opens a whole other can of worms…

It‘s funny there is no obvious  option for a former Tech Adept from the starting Marine roles … no one gets to even choose Tech Use as a starting point ( I guess it is to provide some inkling toward non marine options, still) …

Aaaand I really like warp sorcery… pfff… Decisions, decisions.

But don’t worry -:You guys go ahead! I‘ll just follow the trail of debris and body parts!  

@All: hey everyone sorry I didn't get anything posted last night. I ended up having scant time to write or do any work. I will endeavour to have the character sheet(s) inspected and distributed today, and have some character questions up for you each to mull. Edited by Necronaut

I have added some information to the Data & Character thread. Feel free to start posting your character profiles in there (per the usual format as used on this board). If you have already posted something of a character profile here in the OOC, feel free to use that as a starting point (or use what you have).

I'm still working on the character sheets. There is a fair bit of added functionality and attribute tracking which I need to capture, which will take some time to implement. I will work to have something ready by this coming weekend, work and family permitting.

@Everyone/Trokair: considering I'm granting the Heretic Astartes the "Our Hands Bring Death" talent, which saves them an awful lot of XP for the two-weapon wielding style of play (which I may come to regret), I may need to adjust the starting XP for humans further, and/or maybe consider granting them a bonus talent or similar. Or maybe consider granting OHBD to anyone who has the Ambidextrous talent, or just drop OHBD all together? I hate to make a single talent insanely powerful/valuable, and I know humans and Astartes are not intended to necessarily be especially balanced relative to one another, but both have to play nicely within the same sandbox. I'm open to ideas for how to possibly handle this discrepancy (or just ignore it and proceed, broken system and all).

What modifier bonus do you get for each DoS on the Percentile Roll Vs Infamy?

None; it's a straight pass-or-fail test.

That's just great, so how are we supposed to get anything?

I went by your rule system to get a couple of common Frag Grenades, the most modifiers that I could get was 30%, I added that 30% to my 1d100 Vs Infamy and passed, but I still fail?

A couple of things:

1. You get your Infamy modifier number of "freebie" items with a minimum -10 acquisition modifier at character creation. You do not roll vs Infamy for these items, meaning you can acquire one or more pieces of kit which would ordinarily be too difficult for your character to acquire. If you need help with this, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

2. It's not supposed to be easy to just get things in the Screaming Vortex. You will be advised to trade, borrow or steal anything you can get your hands on, with the most common method of gear acquisition being to pry it from the cold, dead hands of your foes.

3. All you have to do to acquire a piece of gear through Infamy is to match or roll under you Infamy score (with modifiers, if any), just like any other characteristic test in the 40K RPG (or d100 system) family.

Don't fret over the Infamy system for right now. It will make more sense once we get into the game and start putting it to use.

Edited by Necronaut

I think maybe you're not quite familiar with the method for the items you can take at Character Creation?

For those initial picks, you can make selections up to the number of Infamy Points you have (so probably 2, but could be 1 or 3 depending on the Passions and XP spends you chose). And as long as the total modifier is -10 or less, you don't have to roll for it at all, you just get it. (pg 82, 305)

So, Frag Grenades are:

Scarce +0

Significant Number (5-10, so obviously you take 10 of them!) -10

Common Craftsmanship +0

Location +0 (I'm assuming there is no mod +/- for the stuff we bring into the game at character creation?)

+0 -10 +0 +0 = -10

To give another example, my second item was a Plasma Pistol, which is:

Very Rare -20

Single Item +10

Common Craftsmanship +0

Location +0

So rarer, but I only need 1 so gives a total of -10, so again no need to roll.

When you want to purchase stuff later on in the game it will get harder (or easier) depending on location.

NB. I've taken 10 Frags too, so we've got 20 between us already (plus Iscario gets 4 more as Starting Kit). Maybe someone should take Kraks instead and we can all swap around a bit, assuming our GM will allow that…

Edit: Ninja'd with Vesalius-like stealth!

Edited by Lysimachus

I was contemplating a handful of Krak grenades TBH.

My special ability makes me feel like one of those guys down the pub - "hey man, you want 100 Lasguns?  Never fired and only dropped once..."

I'm going to re-work Iscario a bit, he's fighting me, and when that happens it's generally a sign I'm doing something wrong.

Suggestions are welcome...

@MG don't sweat it mate, it took me a few passes to pick up all the bits and bobs as to how it works.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

I was contemplating a handful of Krak grenades TBH.

My special ability makes me feel like one of those guys down the pub - "hey man, you want 100 Lasguns? Never fired and only dropped once..."

I'm going to re-work Iscario a bit, he's fighting me, and when that happens it's generally a sign I'm doing something wrong.

Suggestions are welcome...

@MG don't sweat it mate, it took me a few passes to pick up all the bits and bobs as to how it works.

You might consider rebuilding him as a chosen, if it's mechanically more in line with what you want. The Forsaken can be a tricky class to get right, and it fills kind of a bizarre niche in the Black Crusade ecosystem.