Rusted Boltgun's WIP

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

Inspired by @apologist and @Valkia the Bloody, I had some Krooty adventures this afternoon, trying out a couple of my imagined Kroot schemes. Not sure I have the talent to pull these off!

DSC_3189.jpg

Primed with Grey Seer.

Left is Corax White / Gryphcharger Grey / Rhinox Hide

Right is Apothecary White / Briar Queen Chill / Mechanics Standard Grey

I had tried Gryphcharger Grey on the 'beak' of Righty but it looked awful so repainted.

I think Lefty needs a shade of Soulblight grey, Righty needs a lighter later on the beak.

Definitely WIP.

Edit: realised I've only painted half the beaks!

Edited by Rusted Boltgun
incorrect namecheck

Does not look bad!

Since birds in real life have all kinds of interesting colours, you can go completely wild there!

I had been planning on painting my Kroot like the Yautja (Predators) but now looking at your ideas, I am REALLY temped of painting one operative like a Cockatiel.

Yes, with the yellow mohawk and the orange cheek spot.

(I had cockatiels for years before moving countries and I miss them, this would be a nice tribute).

Well, at least there will be some unusual Kroot created in the process- I never got into them because the way they were usually painted by GW was so.... drab.

They could actually be quite weird and vibrant.

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

Thanks @Valkia the Bloody I have done some tidying and they are looking better already. I need them in daylight for a photo though.

I stupidly didn't write down the recipe for leather I used on my Raven Guard test model (not shown). I was really pleased with it. Not so much with my efforts on the Kroot.

I applied the Briar Queen Chill quite heavily so it is quite flat, needs a highlight (but I'm not sure what to use). I can't decide whether I like the Apothecary White on Righty either. I think Lefty's Corax White shaded with Soulblight Grey might have the edge over it. I do like the Gryphcharger Grey on the quills so need to sort my beak out on Lefty.

I like your cockatiel idea, especially as it has a personal link.  The bright colours will be an antidote to the grimness of the Gallowdark terrain - assuming you go go down the black / leadbelcher route for that. I'm going to have one or two spare Warriors so I'm tempted to do one Blackbird and the other Flamingo.

13 hours ago, Valkia the Bloody said:

Does not look bad!

Since birds in real life have all kinds of interesting colours, you can go completely wild there!

I had been planning on painting my Kroot like the Yautja (Predators) but now looking at your ideas, I am REALLY temped of painting one operative like a Cockatiel.

Yes, with the yellow mohawk and the orange cheek spot.

(I had cockatiels for years before moving countries and I miss them, this would be a nice tribute).

Hmm.

Leather is tricky.

I use some dark brown and highlight a lighter brown on top, if larger areas, drybrushing gives some texture. Then I use a shade/ wash on top.

Back in the day, I LOVED the Citadel inks, even if they came out a bit shiny.

However.

I just again spend much too much time and money on Ebay- I got some of the "Inktensity" inks for example, they dry matt and might finally satisfy my wish to get some of the old "ink feeling" back.

I also was scouring Ebay for something I could use to represent the Kroot Pechra bird. The thing with the token is a bit lame- there are birds for decoration all over Warhammer, why could they not supply another tiny bird figure?

Now I ended up getting the Underworlds Blackpowder pirates- which come with a bird and a monkey. The bird looks sufficiently aggressive.

Maybe I convert the ogre for my Inquistion? The grots could be decoration for future projects.... maybe as little in-joke trying to climb my (not even assembled yet) Imperial Knight? It is always good to have random bits in the bits box. The monkey could be a baby Jokaero who was rescued by the Inquisitor.

By the way, it is great there is someone on here who is equally enthusiastic about this as I am and it is great to exchange ideas.

I am very much looking forward to how you are going to paint these Kroot!

Edited by Valkia the Bloody

I haven't been able to get a decent photo of the test models since I worked on them some more though I was pleased with the improvements.

For the full Kill Team, I think I will be going with Corax White (washed with Soulblight Grey), Gryphcharger Grey quills and then Mechanicus Standard Grey beak (layers and highlights TBC). Then I can keep my leatherwork brown.

That's a nice new Pechra @Valkia the Bloody, I'll be leaving mine off the Tracker mini, the bird can have a base of its own. I like your Jokaero idea too - your Inquisition band is definitely evolving!

If your Inquisition band end up in a KT game, the Traitor Orgryn could lend some rules to your Ogre?

Having started the heads, my progress will slow down a bit now - I need to give some attention to existing models and clear the deck before embarking on the full team. 

Switched back to my Genestealers this afternoon, I would like to finish them off and box them up in Space Hulk.

Soundtracked by the 'Devastation of Baal' audiobook. The action has been fun but sparse. A bit like my painting.

DSC_32072.jpg

DSC_3208.jpg

Genestealer Purple highlights. I would like to re-base them, they only look half done. I've already started to remove them.

• 2 weeks later...

My test Kroot Warrior is slowly progressing.

Grey Seer / Naggaorth Night / Boltgun Metal so far. Not glued to the base so the lower legs need more grey.

DSC_3237.jpg

The purple definitely needs a wash, the body needs white before a Soulblight grey wash.

I'm reserving judgement until it is completely finished. I have a back up scheme based on the colours from a recent pack of coffee if this doesn't work out.

Whichever way I go, I don't think this team is going to be quick to paint up.

Edit: Updated with Wyldwood on the stock, Druchii Violet washed leather.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

I just had a laugh.

I actually had planned to paint some of the "leather" in a purplish colour (since I plan to paint the skin and quills of most of my Kroot in different shades of brown).

Hope you do not accuse me of stealing your idea.... :tongue:

Looking forward to seeing how yours will turn out!

38 minutes ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

You're welcome to the people leather, not sure it is working for me :biggrin:. I was convinced it would look good with all the grey tones, making them almost vampiric. Befitting some Kroot that had been betrayed and abandoned in a Space Hulk with little prey to sustain them. But maybe not...

I think all it needs is the right washes to tie it together.

The skin is still to light, try to darken it a bit. And take some intensity out of the purple- I use either grey or brown tones to dull down clothing and make it look used and worn. Just do a simple drybrush. And then I usually wash the whole miniature in Agrax Earthshade to make the whole body grimy. 

This way, the colors come together much more naturally. But then of course my miniatures never look clean, they always look grim dark and grimy, and that is not to everybody’s taste. 

I like the light skintone, but it could use some form of Contrast...as in some dotted skin (in a grey) mottled along some areas of the body, kinda like the predators skin or some crabs that have mottled colours on their shells... ?

like these done by merrypaws from deviantart...

d4mqy2d-ed216506-bfcb-4b68-aea7-f02dbcc4

Cheers, M. 

Not much movement on the Kroot to share but I have been assembling some more team members in preparation for painting in the recent challenge.

Boltgun Junior and I have also been working on a dice tray

DSC_3338.jpg

Just needs some felt on the underside and it is done. 

Kroot has Corax White skin tone, Snakebite Leather to replace the purple and some Gryphcharger Grey quills - not as successful as on the head. Hope to get a photo once I have applied the Soulblight Grey shade to the body.

I have also started to rework the beak on the test head with Skavenblight Dinge as a base.

3 minutes ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

Not much movement on the Kroot to share but I have been assembling some more team members in preparation for painting in the recent challenge.

Boltgun Junior and I have also been working on a dice tray

DSC_3338.jpg

Just needs some felt on the underside and it is done. 

Kroot has Corax White skin tone, Snakebite Leather to replace the purple and some Gryphcharger Grey quills - not as successful as on the head. Hope to get a photo once I have applied the Soulblight Grey shade to the body.

I have also started to rework the beak on the test head with Skavenblight Dinge as a base.

It is so great you are setting all this up for Junior. I bet he is having a great time.

Thanks @Valkia the Bloody he recently told the class at school that one of his favourite things is painting and playing with miniatures, I think he is hooked! 

I’m keeping fingers crossed that my usual third party supplier will come good and deliver a copy of Shadowvaults  (they served me well with ITD and HH2.0 AoD) and Junior can get stuck into some Necrons.

63454CB7-FBD3-47BB-A0D4-B904E03E331F.jpg

Not the best photo but Soulblight Grey applied to the Kroot Warrior body and I really feel it is starting to come together.

They grey separated terribly in the pot, requiring coffee stirrer intervention, so I have transferred it to a large dropper bottle to hopefully make it easier when painting the team in batches.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

I have been trialling some spaceship-themed bases. I wasn't happy with the ones ai had done for the 'stealers - the grating was too thick though I liked the effect.

I saw a video (thepaintingphase) where Iron Warriors was applied direct to the base, washed, then and rust and oil patches added. Sounds good to me!

So I added some randomised plasticard offcuts as the bases are just a little too plain on their own.

DSC_3341.jpg

Test Kroot now has a base of his own and I should have enough for the rest of his Kill Team who are being removed from their sprues and glued up.

looking good there bud :thumbsup:

* A note on the plasticard on the bases, if you use a rattlecan to undercoat, it might melt them a tiny bit.... sorta like styrofoam...something in the rattlecans propellant may cause it to melt...although you could simply base coat those bits with GW black paint from a pot first... before you spray.  

look forward to seeing these all done though !! :happy:

Cheers, 

M. 

Struggling to get a half decent photo with only phone cameras available but here we are

3D8DA868-66FD-4869-A8CF-65EA31782B5A.jpg

Need to tidy up the rifle highlights, leather needs highlighting, base needs finishing but Test Warrior is nearly complete. Maybe a further highlight on the beak - maybe wait until they all need it.

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

Just as a suggestion:

Maybe add a few more dark freckles? Maybe of different sizes? Might look more natural then.

Anyways, looking good so far.

Actually, this grey is not bad at all, I might myself steal this and go all out with a full on cockatiel kill team.....

I think you're right @Valkia the Bloody, some darker brown ones would work, I think.

I collected my copy of Shadowvaults today, took it home and immediately put it in the loft! It has become a joint Christmas present for me and Junior Boltgun. 

While I was up there, I retrieved my Space Hulk boxes and other ephemera boxes. We managed to locate the full 1st ed Space Hulk game. We worked through all the mission maps and believe we have all the tiles, then JB decided we should play...

DSC_3361.jpg

Edited by Rusted Boltgun

On 9/25/2022 at 7:52 AM, Valkia the Bloody said:

Back in the day, I LOVED the Citadel inks, even if they came out a bit shiny.

As someone once told me, now I pass on the knowledge: check out Coat d'Arms, their not-super washes are pretty damn close to the old Citadel inks.