Master of the Maelstrom - Biker lord WIP

Thank you gaurdian! The power pack was aptly "borrowed" from an old TS sorcerer in my bit's box and the axe is from the old Chaos lord. I do love a good hodgepodge kit bash :biggrin.:

With a present for a friend completed, I'm onto the Red Wolves. Blocking in the red, silver and gold is the most tedious part of the scheme as I find the highlighting process pretty quick and easy

52102846040_c57af0fbec_b.jpg

Pre-wash and highlight block colours looks pretty naff but will look great later hopefully :sweat:

52102371278_b8bc8f25ac_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thank you Soll! I figure for mostly recent(ish) converts to the piratical ways, most marines aren't going to be pure Chaos tainted gear. It also helps break up the marines themselves as they're all using the same set of 10 bodies :sweat:

I've not been idle over the B&C's Ascension! The Blood Reaver has been out recruiting and I've been hard at work. First up I got the Red Wolves Killteam completed:

S2Yt4y4.jpg

3AZkGtI.jpg

kzcUUQr.jpg

Close ups:

Spoiler

Red Wolves Leader:

pcECOj6.jpg

XbqfFA6.jpg

Chump with BP &CCW:

Ow90fUe.jpg

Brrrt

no35iow.jpg

Chump with Bolter

sOMDCma.jpg

Oldboy

syA5dw8.jpg

Double Stabbers

78MDbx2.jpg

FpyKwf5.jpg

Newbie possessed (I have some idea on how to make actual possessed using Wulfen too)

mYGKjAr.jpg

Berserker

Ch3OF8a.jpg

ZFQwdgv.jpg

Melta lad

KaBtLsl.jpg

9abuFvt.jpg

Pretty sure this guy isn't using Fenrisian magic

qfRtvWY.jpg

wCZqmee.jpg

IIA2itD.jpg

I also built up another 15 marines so that I can have 3x10 man squads  with the loadouts I wanted:

10 with CCW + Melta gun

10 with CCW + Flamer

10 with Bolters, Plasma and Chaincannon

All with Icons, of course :sweat:

Spoiler

Fsdso8d.jpg

XztCuhq.jpg

2Ebe2kl.jpg

v6LA6Id.jpg

Next up I started on some bikes as it's not a Red Corsair army without bikes!

Spoiler

sXnaJAH.jpg

qxmITNh.jpg

j5kNb64.jpg

kq0EaC9.jpg

ajuDm5J.jpg

EX6E6Dk.jpg

ITYE1MJ.jpg

ZJcRIyL.jpg

And last but by no means least, it's the big man himself. I went back as I wasn't happy with the conversion as it didn't fit his character for me. He's not the biggest or the fastest. He just thinks well on his feet and has the tools for the job at hand:

j0gojuq.jpg

Spoiler

3Jx1OFG.jpg

desbyGa.jpg

LtTN0ir.jpg

oCN8g8p.jpg

5H95t21.jpg

jEDhkRT.jpg

OWT5iai.jpg

BsR2c4V.jpg

p77pGRk.jpg

I'm so pumped for the new codex, I can't wait!

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Thank Prot!

The head, arms and backpack are all Finecast Huron. I grabbed one before he went OOP and the quality of the face was awful!  It has lost most of it's detail and the eyes were nearly non-existant. I think I managed to salvage it though, so I don't mind too much :sweat:

Just binged on this thread, don't be embarrassed about your Old Models thats History right there my dude, I've still got all of my Ancient (Really really) rough Iron Warriors, I might not use them as much but ill never dump them. 

Paint Job on the models is awesome, in particular loving the amount of Bare heads you have, very Creative use of the (space wolf?) Heads i need to get myself some of those Ive started trying to Bump all my friends space un-helmeted heads now. Looks good on the newer models i think

the Huron Model Conversion though that's an awesome Conversion right there!

23 hours ago, Guzzlrr said:

Just binged on this thread, don't be embarrassed about your Old Models thats History right there my dude, I've still got all of my Ancient (Really really) rough Iron Warriors, I might not use them as much but ill never dump them. 

Paint Job on the models is awesome, in particular loving the amount of Bare heads you have, very Creative use of the (space wolf?) Heads i need to get myself some of those Ive started trying to Bump all my friends space un-helmeted heads now. Looks good on the newer models i think

the Huron Model Conversion though that's an awesome Conversion right there!

Thank you, Guzzlrr!

They may be long gone but they're defintiely not forgotten! The only embarrassing part about the army is that until a couple of years ago, it was the largest painted force I had done :sweat:

All of the bare heads in the Killteam are Space wolves, either from the various plastic kits or from the FW Grey Slayers upgrade. They work really well with the new Chaos models, as all Space Marine parts do to be fair! The SW heads work well for any haggard or worn looking SM :biggrin:

17 hours ago, Pirate Empress said:

Love your conversions and I think you'll have fun at the table as the Red Corsairs are a shockingly flexible sleeper hit if you look at their rules.

Thank you Empress! I think so too, I've been looking at the codex and I think RC are definitely one of the more flexible Legion traits in the book. There's a lot more to them than just Advancing and Charging (although that's a big part), things like the Huron having Chapter Master rerolls, a WLT that gives "Fire and Fade" to a unit, CP regen on another WLT,  a relic that gives invulns or improved invulns to termies.

Lots to look at and learn but it's definitely looking like a great time for Red Corsairs! :happy:

I haven't yet had a chance to play with the book yet, although I'm very gassed to be let loose with it! My FLGS has a monthly 1k point tournament that I'm hoping to take my RC to, although with the points changes, I'm struggling to fit in all the stuff I want. I love the idea of having 3x10 squads of marines but they get expensive very quickly! :sweat:

I am seeing a lot of the upgrades as a trap, especially at 1k. They are still just 2w 3+ armor marines. I dont know if you have yours configured as ranged or close combat. In the first, bring a five man with heavy weapon with a lot of shots, either chain cannon or heavy bolters and maybe mark of tzeetch for the ap boost. For the latter, obviously arm them with close combat weapons and just a power weapon of some sort on the sgt. Bring a bare bones biker squad for objective grabbing. Then fill the rest where you need it since your core is complete. Those new beefy predators and vindicators look nice.

Might be a good idea to only bring 2 marine squads and a cultist/Tyrants Legion squad just to save the points for other toys. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2022 at 2:21 PM, gaurdian31 said:

Your Corsairs are looking good! Love your Huron!

On 7/6/2022 at 2:50 PM, Galron said:

I am seeing a lot of the upgrades as a trap, especially at 1k. They are still just 2w 3+ armor marines. I dont know if you have yours configured as ranged or close combat. In the first, bring a five man with heavy weapon with a lot of shots, either chain cannon or heavy bolters and maybe mark of tzeetch for the ap boost. For the latter, obviously arm them with close combat weapons and just a power weapon of some sort on the sgt. Bring a bare bones biker squad for objective grabbing. Then fill the rest where you need it since your core is complete. Those new beefy predators and vindicators look nice.

Might be a good idea to only bring 2 marine squads and a cultist/Tyrants Legion squad just to save the points for other toys. 

Apologies for the late reply but thank you both very much! I've been quite busy of late (mainly with my Iron Warriors) but I'll be back on the Corsairs for a while.

Next weekend I've signed up for another 1K  Tempest of War tournament at my local FLGS. I've taken my Iron Warriors for the last couple of times but fancy a change up. So far my list is:

Outrider:

Huron

5 Marines with Bolters,  a Chaincannon and Balefire tome (Prescience)

9 Marines with Chainswords, a PSword on Champion + MoK, Icon

5 Bikes with 2 Melta guns and PFist on Champion - Black Rune + MoT, Icon

5 Bikes with 2 Plasma Guns and PSword on the Champion + MoT, Icon

Venomcrawler

Rhino

The game plan for the list is that the Bikes with Melta and Venomcrawler are the early game pressure. Huron's full rerolls would go on the Melta bikes, this gives me more chance to pop a transport or dread etc and also charge straight afterwards with full rerolls. I've then got the flexibility to either fall back for 2CP or tie something up in combat. They should also have a decent chance of surviving most things as MoT keeps them relatively safe as well as the Black Rune. AP-5 on the Melta is no joke and should pass through most vehicles saves. Even those with AoC.

The Plasma bikes hang back and keep Huron protected, stick in his reroll 1s to hit bubble and get Prescience from the Balefire tome should mean that the Plasma guns shouldn't blow up and also be -4AP so will be wrecking havoc on marines. I can also whack Daemonshell on these guys for 20 S4, -2AP shots. They can either be in the secondwave or be a mobile gun platform.

The 5 man squad can shoot when needed, psychic when needed or do actions as well as hold my back point. The Chainsword guys can either be Wave 2 or action monkeys with the Rhino either being a moveblocker, tie up units or hold objectives.

I think Huron is very valuable for what he can do, He's pretty beefy in combat, regens me more CP, gives full rerolls to a unit, reroll ones aura AND has a cheeky power up his sleeve. As this isn't a fixed power, this can be really clutch depending on what I'm facing. Deathhex for annoying Invulns, Prescience on a unit if needed, Warptime to get someone across a board etc. The Venomcrawler is a fantastic unit that I've yet to find a downside for. Either as a distraction, Psyker buffer, Character protector or a decent beatstick, they stend to do it all.

This does mean I need to paint 8 bikes, a few Legionnaries, Venomcrawler and a Rhino in under a week. Easy right? :sweat:

On 8/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, Prot said:

Every time I see your RC thread I want to keep painting them. lol

I love what you've done with them.... maybe that's the thing holding me back. At any rate, I hope you get some more games in with them.

Thank you Prot! You definitely should try painting some more Corsairs, you'll definitely blow mine out if the water! :sweat:

Sometimes though, as much as we love a paint scheme, it just doesn't work for us or we haven't found the way of painting it that works and that's okay. This is the 3rd time at attempting to get the Red Corsairs paint scheme right for me in about 5 years and this run is definitely the best of the lot :happy:

I've finished 6 out of the 10 bikes I need, unfortunately the other 4 aren't Outrider bikes. I'd definitely want to get more to at least bring me up to 9. I'm still holding out hope that there will be new bikes with the WE release!

IMG_20220815_094055_923.thumb.jpg.13757af3b7875815a41448981542338b.jpg

IMG_20220815_094055_988.thumb.jpg.b1804606b6311ee8181f5c9dc86f7944.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_150.thumb.jpg.cce28ce380a880f42664a77239d67409.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_054.thumb.jpg.e95c36e90dce919ee46f4618e1223473.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_089.thumb.jpg.ea041d08f29748317ba8d6eb21a0fdfa.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_120.thumb.jpg.20953f2307ef3d48fecec3f4d0ebdf00.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_171.thumb.jpg.9b2582bfd2eac1dd2be41a3603f4b64d.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_232.thumb.jpg.cbe16d804b0465344c3dd8c59e46f425.jpg

IMG_20220815_094056_209.thumb.jpg.9d6aeba0746c14050941e7f6364397f8.jpg

I also got the Rhino done too, I ordered some stencils and decals from a company in America which finally arrived. I used a stencil here and painted over it which is looking pretty rad!

PXL_20220814_200249519.thumb.jpg.8154561b87e4b10cdbc76434a78cae47.jpgIMG_20220815_094056_253.thumb.jpg.3c5e76fc295f03d457b15a740c87440c.jpg

Edited by TrawlingCleaner

Those look great, though personally I can't say I'm a fan of the outrider bikes - though I don't fault you for liking them. :biggrin:  I think part of your trouble getting them to look "right" is the large curved front, which is at odds with the aesthetics of the riders and the rest of your army, which is much more angular and jagged.  Maybe is instead of going all one colour or the other, you instead painted it in either in black or red and then did a large chevron or arrow on it in the other, that might make it fit in better with your other models while also letting you individualize the models?  I'm thinking that it might work similar how all the jagged trim on what are otherwise curved armour pieces are part of chaos marines' distinctive look.

Now, for me to nitpick a little - I love how you do your dark skin tones, but I think they are much more effective in your iron warriors than your corsairs.  I think it may have to do with how saturated the red is, it doesn't provide the visual counterpoint that it does against the metallic of your IW.  Likewise, I think the red/purple undertones of the pale face might also be impairing the visual impact it might have otherwise -  I'm wondering if he might look a bit better with a more natural skin tone?

One final nitpick - I feel the power fist needs a little something to stand out more, though I'm not certain what that something might be. - maybe a small red or white fist/claw symbol like on the rhino?

On the subject of the rhino - I love the effect you got with the stencil. Its super clean and professional looking - something I definitely encourage you carrying over to what other vehicles you might include in  your army.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Rhino looks great and I do like the bikes! I think Dr. Ruminahui is right about the power fist, to me it just seems to get lost in the rest of the model. Also I think it would be cool if you have a small enough decal or stencil to put the fist on the banner, though I understand that might not be super easy.

Thank you, Dr and gaurdian! I've clarified it in the post but it's the 3rd attempt to get the Red Corsairs scheme as a whole correct, not just the bikes! I went for a dark red and black the first time and it didn't work so I dropped the project. Then tried another time but just couldn't get in the swing of it, this time has definitely worked for me :sweat:

The bikes have really come together for me and I think the only thing I would change is to add the decals to shoulder pads and the banner. Some visual interest on the Fist is great shout as even with gold rivets it definitely is lost. Maybe some Yellow Chevrons?

Missing something Jagged or some trim is a good point and something I had played about with when building them was trying to add some small spikes to the front of the bike or the back section which is something our own Kissdoug has done absolutely perfectly:

Spoiler

Pin by jerry45044 on Warhammer 40k stuff | Sons of horus, Warhammer 40k  miniatures, Warhammer

HKEX18v.jpg

TU5upvl.jpg

I would love to do this and will liekly be picking up some more bikes soon to try this on. I tried making the small spikes but failed miserably and gave up. I just need some more practice I think! :happy:

I like the bikes much better than the current ones. In the back of my mind I keep remembering that guy who kept saying bikes were coming out for Chaos. So I hope that's true, and the current model didn't age great... but I do like this 'spiked' version you've posted too. Sometimes just clever aging can make the unit look chaos appropriate. 

If they're going to release bikes any time soon, my bet is with the World Eaters release! With the right mix of kits I think you can do a decent job of updating the old Bike kits a tad. I've mostly used new CSM weapons and helmets or more recent SM heads and they seem to be decent looking:

gBlTkmi.jpg

Bar the bases, the next 4 bikes are done. The fade on the power sword isn't as clean as I would like but for the amount of time I put in (15 minutes including drying time) and for a non-character model, it works well. Once based, the Outriders and the normal bikes should hopefully blend in together!

3Z1nCp1.jpg

wiNc530.jpg

cBB3qhg.jpg

0H32P5d.jpg

As they're Mark of Tzeentch, the bird on the pole is their Icon. Just as planned!

s8pTWoJ.jpg

38aYdJS.jpg

T0xeDug.jpg

Using your own arm to brace a Plasma gun may not be totally smart :no:

Y0aj61W.jpg

O2zMqH7.jpg

3S3PCSW.jpg

The old metal Sergeant model scrubs up suprisingly well, although he's definitely showing his age a bit:

NNENsXM.jpg

Z5UBDOI.jpg

vP06XjS.jpg

2VmTFqQ.jpg

7lUeyFs.jpg

All together, they look pretty good!

5r8gX41.jpg

YaodeEs.jpg

hoO1NMq.jpg

So all I have to do now is paint 3 marines and a Venomcrawler for Sunday. Easy, right? :sweat:

Thank you gaurdian! I figure Tzeentch is always keeping an eye or two on those they mark :biggrin:

So I got the last 3 guys and the 'Crawler done for Sunday last week, perfectly timed!

tLbIIyO.jpg

jyybKGU.jpg

SuO0beX.jpg

HRoQhRn.jpg

gyX3r05.jpg

KCE2DUM.jpg

zEUILOm.jpg

XlCXkT0.jpg

3b53KMj.jpg

aQ50z5P.jpg

hBETBbk.jpg

BSGorFW.jpg

As the 1K list all together:

eXMsNTx.jpg

UMEwdGl.jpg

26P98Kr.jpg

1rafzlO.jpg

rgwUMl4.jpg

NgJCzEG.jpg

84pnG6w.jpg

r7nRXO3.jpg#

They did very well at the tourney, 3rd overall. A loss vs Death Guard, win vs Eldar, Win vs Crons and win vs Knights. I'm currently adding some Raptors to get some faster boots on the ground :thumbsup: