Brotherhood of the Phoenix: IIIrd Legion Tactica

Slips

3 hours ago, darkseren1ty said:

The snipers are brutal against sunkillers. Had a tournament this weekend and white scars seized the initiative and squads of recon units sniped my master of signals from my kakophoni and pinned my sunkillers. It was an absolute slug fest after that. My melee word bearer Allies did their part quite well, but the first turn seize neutered half my army’s offensive capabilities quite effectively. I wish I had traded in maybe 2 sunkillers and the Phoenix termies for a squad of snipers and maybe some ap2 upgrades for some of my squad leaders.  Or maybe just went with a scorpius to wipe out those snipers.

Interesting. I have ended up adding a Vigilator to my list as I think it's just invaluable to be able to disrupt the enemy a bit. 

3 hours ago, The Scorpion said:

Sunkillers are meant to be run at minimum size.

Unlike most units, the additional dudes become more expensive, not less, and they happen to have a Proteus Explorer as DT.

I agree with you. But I find having 10 gives you enough shots to deal with both infantry squads (TEQ/MEQ) and large vehicles as well, plus if you need to move a few models, you’ll have a fair amount of shots to allow a lucky snap shot to still do a bit of damage. Further, it makes it a priority target for enemies- which allows you to predict their actions and plan for their movements. It IS pricey though and I’m contemplating screening them with a tank in the first turn to prevent them getting sniped.

On 10/18/2022 at 11:58 AM, darkseren1ty said:

I agree with you. But I find having 10 gives you enough shots to deal with both infantry squads (TEQ/MEQ) and large vehicles as well, plus if you need to move a few models, you’ll have a fair amount of shots to allow a lucky snap shot to still do a bit of damage. Further, it makes it a priority target for enemies- which allows you to predict their actions and plan for their movements. It IS pricey though and I’m contemplating screening them with a tank in the first turn to prevent them getting sniped.

Clever re: tank screen. Why didn't I think of that. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Varyn said:

There seems to be some debate as to whether IC’s can join one of the hidden blade units, I’ve heard arguments for and against it.

My gut read on this would be no. Hidden Blade specifically calls out Elites/Troops/Fast Attack, even if you attached characters they don't fit into those force org slots.

I've been using my Hidden Blade drops for fragile vehicles - I usually put a Xiphon, a squadron of two Neutron Blaster/MM Sabres, and a Contemptor talon in my HB.

So with plastic jetbikes on the horizon, is anyone thinking of adding them to a IIIrd legion force? I could see a squad of multi-meltas being a good bit of anti-tank firepower coming in from outflank in Maru Skara. I'm also intrigued by the potential of outflanking a 3-5 man squad of plasma cannons to bother larger squads holding objectives in the backfield.

Curious where is everyone getting their power axes for palatine blades from? I see Gw sells heavy weapon kits etc but really is there no source for any of the power axes?  I suppose i can just run the swords as axes but that's not really optimal.

Edited by vortexdr
spelling

9 hours ago, vortexdr said:

Curious where is everyone getting their power axes for palatine blades from? I see Gw sells heavy weapon kits etc but really is there no source for any of the power axes?  I suppose i can just run the swords as axes but that's not really optimal.

I used conversion world, either of the two basic energy axes Conversion world axes the detail is fantastic, they also sell the hands which you can mould around the handles.

On 12/15/2022 at 11:51 AM, Foudroyant Virus said:

One more question about the Maru Skara:

after some time with 2.0:

how do you play the maru skara? 
i would like to get a independet character (champion on Jetbike or Chaplain) into the outflank, but cant find a way.

anything i am missing?

I use maru skara quite frequently now. It gives a nice mobility buff for very little drawback. I mostly use it for my troops (inside rhinos) to really hamper my opponents LoS and charging their shooting elements with outflanking melee units is so satisfying. 

I usually keep my ICs with the bulk of my army that’s already on the table and they pincer the enemy between themselves and the outflanking units.

Anyone knows a good place to buy a legion banner for the Emperors children?

im using my phoenix terminators as a retinue pretty often, thinking about using the aquilla standard of the custodes, but an actually 3rd legion banner would be amazing!

• 3 months later...
10 hours ago, Theredknight said:

So been a while. What are people running palatines with nowadays?

I usually go with jump pack palatines, armed with power axes and a phoenix spear for the sergeant, for the occasional challenge. Also like running them with Eidolon or a champion, depending on the list. Even though the fearless on the champion isnt the best, not being able to evade with those guys sometimes really sucks.

5 hours ago, HeinzD said:

I usually go with jump pack palatines, armed with power axes and a phoenix spear for the sergeant, for the occasional challenge. Also like running them with Eidolon or a champion, depending on the list. Even though the fearless on the champion isnt the best, not being able to evade with those guys sometimes really sucks.

Never Back Down only works when you're in combat and in a challenge, so you don't have Fearless the rest of the time. Surely this would mean that you'd be able to evade? 

Also, I'd take an Apothecary with them, so unless you're being shot at by S8+ or Instant Death weapons you could just take the Feel No Pain role and use your shooting reaction for Return Fire with one of your other squads etc.

1 hour ago, Kizzdougs said:

Never Back Down only works when you're in combat and in a challenge, so you don't have Fearless the rest of the time. Surely this would mean that you'd be able to evade? 

Also, I'd take an Apothecary with them, so unless you're being shot at by S8+ or Instant Death weapons you could just take the Feel No Pain role and use your shooting reaction for Return Fire with one of your other squads etc.

Definitly made a mistake there, lol, thank you, absolutely love running them with a champion then! xD

An apothecary sounds like a great addition too, might try that out in a game i have coming up

Charnabal weapons don’t look too bad really. But anyone run them with Phoenix rapiers or how are the spears doing now? 

id magnetise the backpacks for sure. 

my proto idea is to let eidy run in an assault squad. They used to basically deliver him into combat and the hammer did the rest. That was way back in early days  last edition so was thinking to give it a whirl.

11 hours ago, Theredknight said:

Charnabal weapons don’t look too bad really. But anyone run them with Phoenix rapiers or how are the spears doing now? 

id magnetise the backpacks for sure. 

my proto idea is to let eidy run in an assault squad. They used to basically deliver him into combat and the hammer did the rest. That was way back in early days  last edition so was thinking to give it a whirl.

Charnabal are nice, breaching 5+ on the sabres can be very good.

Dont really like the spears on them though, the extra attack from the one handed weapons really helps with skill unmatched: a perfect guard. The Phoenix rapiers are great, will make them chew through anything in power armor, also, the rending can really be helpful, surprisingly good against vehicles, i mean, against vehicles they can just use a perfect fury for an extra attack with literally no drawback, means they got 5 attacks each on the charge.

Axe feels like the best option though, AP2 is just very important. 

I run mine as Aquilae in a unit of 10, with 5 rapiers and 5 power axes. They can do work, don't think you can toss them into real heavy hitters. They will absolutely menace anything in power armor or baseline terminators, but be careful of other high WS units with better weapons.

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I will do the JP armed guys, stick maybe 3 axes in there, some sabres and a couple Phoenix spears, just for cool factor.

Next up on the list, sunkillers. 

I haven’t seen many about, they look great value to smash anything. Apart from being pinned which makes it an expensive unit to be pinned.

are people just using 10? Or maxing out with 15-20? 
I can only imagine fielding 20 lascannon in a squad as they disintegrate anything they point their lasers towards.

36 minutes ago, Theredknight said:

ok so I will do the JP armed guys, stick maybe 3 axes in there, some sabres and a couple Phoenix spears, just for cool factor.

Next up on the list, sunkillers. 

I haven’t seen many about, they look great value to smash anything. Apart from being pinned which makes it an expensive unit to be pinned.

are people just using 10? Or maxing out with 15-20? 
I can only imagine fielding 20 lascannon in a squad as they disintegrate anything they point their lasers towards.

I actually like to run them in 2 squads of 5, makes their reactions not quite as scary, but i like the flexibility, so if they fail morale its just half of them that fail, also, if i just want to kill a rhino or something i dont have to turn 10 damn lascannons at it.

Besides, its actually more cost efficient, Sunkillers are one of the units that go up in price, the more you take.

A squad of 5 comes in at 185pts and a squad of 10 is actually 385pts 

7 hours ago, HeinzD said:

I actually like to run them in 2 squads of 5, makes their reactions not quite as scary, but i like the flexibility, so if they fail morale its just half of them that fail, also, if i just want to kill a rhino or something i dont have to turn 10 damn lascannons at it.

Besides, its actually more cost efficient, Sunkillers are one of the units that go up in price, the more you take.

A squad of 5 comes in at 185pts and a squad of 10 is actually 385pts 

Sunkillers are 0-1, so you're not allowed to play 2 squads of 5...

Houserules don't care about that ofcourse ^^

On 5/17/2023 at 11:21 PM, MichaelCarmine said:

Sunkillers are 0-1, so you're not allowed to play 2 squads of 5...

Houserules don't care about that ofcourse ^^

Ouh damn, nevermind me, didnt even realize, my mistake