The Steppes of Chogoris: Vth Legion Tactica

Slips

Just got back this weekend from a bunch of games with the Scars at NOVA and had some thoughts. I was only able to play in the 1500 pt doubles event but it gave me some insight into how the 2.0 meta is shaping up.

It seems like strong 2W, WS5 units are becoming meta, at least at smaller points levels which puts us in a pretty strong disadvantage unfortunately without any options for that. My only thought is to add a command squad which isn't unique and we can't add power glaives to. 

I only took one jetbike squad but they seem to perform pretty well, essentially as a mobile, slightly tougher albeit more expensive, heavy weapons squad. Volkites rip. Nothing realy special to the Scars but just look cool and can threaten anything on the table with range and mobility.

Power glaives seems pretty strong, my assault squad sgt with one did well in several challenges. 

Kyzagans seem incredibly strong, really good firepower with both main weapons and rending.

Finally, the legion trait didn't have much effect in most of my games since everything has become more mobile, but it does add a lot for basic tacticals squads. I was able to run a squad onto and objective at the end of a game, which I don't think another legion could.

Anyone experienced any other thoughts? I am considering adding some recon marines to run the Recon Rite but also want to add a Leviathan and/or more jetbikes but want to see what others think.

I mentioned this in the night lord tactica, but low point games lead to really skewed results when you can't cover all the bases and your opponent takes units youre weak against.

The multiwound, ws 5, 2+ armour save unit was long predicted to be good. The Golden keshig are a goodish counter, as the full unit is pretty cheap and can do a number on them and dreads, and hopefully not take too much damage in return, and can hit and run out if they need to.

Recons are solid anywhere they can be popped in, especially with snipers.  Kyzagans are solid at T7. Both bring some ranged support to your lists, which is helpful since, imo, the trait helps units get into combat with the +1 to move and often increasing a bonus to the charge.

• 1 month later...

So I played my first 2.0 game with White Scars and I am wondering if I am missing a rules interaction with the Golden Keshig.
As I understand it, because they have the heavy trait they can not run. So they can never get a shroud save from Shamshir Jetbikes nor can and character that joins the squad.

• 2 months later...

I’m looking for some input/opinions on how to run White Scars.

I’ve played heresy for years but have never even played against White Scars so I’m pretty inexperienced running the legion. I’ve been building the Legion slowly but the advent of plastic Jetbikes have moved them up a gear and I need more of a direction to build in. I want to run a jetbike heavy force but not necessarily exclusively jetbikes. 

My main questions kind of fall into 3 categories:

1) What do people think of the bike rites of war? On first glance the benefits seem a bit meh compared to the restrictions but I’m not used to running jetbikes so maybe I’m missing something? 

2) I’m thinking of a couple of big blobs of bikes backed up by some infantry in rhinos and maybe some Scorpius launchers as back up (If I don’t use the rites) does this sound sensible?

3) Command Squad on jetbikes. It’s expensive but is it worth it? 

To be clear, I’m not looking to build a super strong list to sweep all before me, I’m running bikes for rule of cool. That said, I’d like to have a reasonable chance in a typical game so I don’t want to do something like commit to building something like Chogorian Brotherhood only to see it laughed off the table by turn two. 

Any advice is appreciated :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also new to the legion, but I'm having so much fun with scars as they play very different from anybody else. I mostly play in ZM, but here's what I've learned so far:

• WS are strong. They are a flexible alpha strike focused brawler legion. However, they take finesse to play. So unlike say IF (where you don't need a brain to play well) WS will shine in the hands of more calculated, experienced, players.
  • Both ROW are very strong, but you need to build around them to make them shine. If you find the restrictions too harsh, ally in what you need.
  • I would not recommend rhinos or slow infantry for the WS specific ROW. You need units that keep up with the rest of your army. As WS you must be engaging on your terms. If you're not, then you're on the back foot.
  • Command squads on jetbikes are not worth the price. Command squads with regular bikes or jump packs are strong options. I'd run two units if I could.

While we're at it, I wanna complain about the cyber hawk. On paper its pretty good, but in practice I don't think I'm taking one anymore. The kicker is that you use at the start of the turn, so its extremely rare that you're in a position where your unit is staring down the target you want to blast / get into melee with. It would have been much more useful if it was done at the end of the movement phase.

43 minutes ago, Brofist said:

While we're at it, I wanna complain about the cyber hawk. On paper its pretty good, but in practice I don't think I'm taking one anymore. The kicker is that you use at the start of the turn, so its extremely rare that you're in a position where your unit is staring down the target you want to blast / get into melee with. It would have been much more useful if it was done at the end of the movement phase.

Yea they were a lot more versatile in 1st. It still got placed at the start of the player turn, but it was anywhere where the token could sit. It then tagged all enemy units within 6" and granted rerolls of 1s to hit and charges on those units. And the reroll to hit complimented the reroll to wound from swift action.

It was limited to praetors, and only affected infantry with the Legion rule, but ya, better. Like most of the scars stuff...

• 1 year later...
On 2/1/2023 at 6:21 PM, Brofist said:

I'm also new to the legion, but I'm having so much fun with scars as they play very different from anybody else. I mostly play in ZM, but here's what I've learned so far:

• WS are strong. They are a flexible alpha strike focused brawler legion. However, they take finesse to play. So unlike say IF (where you don't need a brain to play well) WS will shine in the hands of more calculated, experienced, players.
  • Both ROW are very strong, but you need to build around them to make them shine. If you find the restrictions too harsh, ally in what you need.
  • I would not recommend rhinos or slow infantry for the WS specific ROW. You need units that keep up with the rest of your army. As WS you must be engaging on your terms. If you're not, then you're on the back foot.
  • Command squads on jetbikes are not worth the price. Command squads with regular bikes or jump packs are strong options. I'd run two units if I could.

Dumb question, but the extra Movement allows Scars infantry to reroll charges, right? I ask because the Long March RoW specifically says that it doesn't for SoH but the Scars have no built-in restriction.

Edited by The Scorpion