[Citadel] New/updated paints (contrasts, shades, spray)

And Stahly of taleofpainters has reviewed the new shade formula and the new additions to the range.

Text version, inc new shade swatches: https://taleofpainters.com/2022/06/review-new-formula-citadel-shade-paints-better-or-just-smaller-pots/

ToP_New_Citadel_Shade_Paints_Review_Comp

TL;DR - they're definitely an improved formula that stahly was impressed by, but also 18ml for the same price as 24ml was.

Edited by Arkhanist

Reikland Fleshshade looks like a downgrade to me, seems more brown and less red, which isn't really what you want for a fleshtone shade. The 'tint' looks better for Caucasion skin, but there's already Contrast paints for if you want to do that.

Nuln and Agrax look like an improvement.

Biel-Tan green I'm so-so on. The recesses look darker, but there's already Athonian Camoshade for that. 

Carroburg Crimson I'm not seeing much difference in the recesses but obviously less of a tint, so I guess that's a success? 

The shade colours haven't changed. Just the medium so it flows more into the recesses and less patchy stains on the flat bits. If you relied on that behaviour. E G. Reikland for pale skin instead of as a shade to a skin tone base, you may need to stock up on the old formula or look at contrast.

The difference is somewhat noticeable, but mixing in some contrast medium also has a similar effect so I'm not going to rush out and replace my current pots just yet. Couple of the new shades look interesting though.

Some paints look a bit too bright/neony... Would be good for some Necromunda scenery though. Dont like contrast normally but may have a dabble. 

Interesting! I had my doubts about them but the new more opaque colours (such as Baal Red and the three yellows) look like they'd be VERY useful for painting flatter surfaces- I can see them being very good by hand or by airbrush for vehicles. I LOVE the new purples, and I will absolutely be getting Striking Scorpion Green for my rank-and-file Tyranids, as it's a much better way of getting that bright, bilious green (not Bilious Green, got Warcolors for that) I want than Tesseract Glow washed with Biel-Tan Green.

Quite a few colours that look like they'd be nice additions, will need to see if my local GW has some pots to try out though because I found with the original Contrast colours that while some of them are great, others didn't do what I wanted at all.

For example I found Shyish Purple to give a glossy finish, which was a bit of a disaster as I was trying to use it for cloth. 

Very excited for these new paints. Pete the Wargamers review of them was excellent. I think my (still unbuilt) Corsairs will look excellent with that Dread Visage. Has anyone seen any reviews of the paints over anything besides White Scar?

I'm planning on getting mortarian grime for a heresy-era plague marine on-white scheme, and I think will be a useful generally as an alternative to sepia for things like parchment.

Kroak green and gutrippa contrast look like they both can do poxwalker flesh easily, add an extra couple of variations (also useful for cursed city when I get round to it!)

Dreadful visage will be great for vampires or 40k CSM skin.

Soulblight grey could be useful as a less heavy version of apothecary white, though thinning that down with contrast also works pretty well.

4 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

the change to Agrax is the one perplexing me, is it reversed?
as well, two week preorder period, why?

I assume they are predicting heavy orders for this stuff. Iirc, didn't the first contrast release have some supply issues?

12 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

I think it is reversed. Looks like Juan might have got them the wrong way round on the mini, or just mirrored the image by mistake?

8 minutes ago, spessmarine said:

I don't think so. The one labeled new is much stronger in the recesses and has clearly filled them out fully, like the other new shades. It just seems to also stain the flat areas more.

In addition, you can see the same 'marble' effect with the new agrax on the stomach plate of the image I linked above from tale of painters. And several of the other new shades do it too, particularly on the shin plate (athonian, carrouburg and seraphim), though it's less obvious because of the lighter colour. I imagine it's an effect of the new medium - less dense coffee stains, but you get a more faint mottled appearance on flat surfaces where it's broken itself up. I think the old agrax is just applied lightly in JH's example or it would be a bit darker with more staining.

When applying as a wash on a standard base coat, rather than neat over white I think the examples demonstrate you will get much stronger shading in the recesses with less noticeable filtering and staining on on the main colour, which is what they're supposed to be for in the first place. If you want the current style, there's always army painter acrylic washes - they're not identical colours, but they've got several that are pretty close.

We have a bunch of paints going LctB including a few of the FW airbrush range that transfered to Citadel, including Lupercal Green, Sons of Horus green, Gal Vorback Red, and Word Bearers Red which seems a strange choice when HH 2.0 just released.

Anyone know why this might be? Making space in the paint racks for the new paints so retaillers don't need a new paint rack is all I can come up with?

13 minutes ago, PJ1933 said:

We have a bunch of paints going LctB including a few of the FW airbrush range that transfered to Citadel, including Lupercal Green, Sons of Horus green, Gal Vorback Red, and Word Bearers Red which seems a strange choice when HH 2.0 just released.

Anyone know why this might be? Making space in the paint racks for the new paints so retaillers don't need a new paint rack is all I can come up with?

Most retailers don't stock the air paints at all to be honest.