[40k] Codex Chaos Space Marines - Preorder and Leaks

Codex Chaos Space marines goes up for Pre-order this weekend (Saturday 25th June) for release (Saturday 2nd July):

clOmFbBfq49yyWGz.jpg

GB2Nrs5cAydPbOTJ.jpg

Sunday Preview article here

As for the leaks, we had quite a lot of the book leak over the last few days. As expected, there's a LOT of changes to the codex although almost entirely the same as the Clockworkchris' leaks:

hVg3K0y.png

omd521O.jpg

8aqrW0c.jpg

hYVsQzA.jpg

EAnpbc2.jpg

NUdr79H.jpg

nb7WvPe.jpg

ufiY1W2.jpg

bI96iha.jpg

eIw5k6N.jpg

6LXLPdf.jpg

3Kx2wzi.jpg

hz5JVuJ.jpg

tYwnMkY.jpg

tP5fVgG.jpg

4iKf0VY.jpg

wwB6WtB.jpg

jq1yjRs.jpg

F9pFFG1.jpg

NajkHWK.jpg

tPjkSX0.jpg

kxGRxRM.jpg

5l8KFUm.jpg

7u2eCS6.jpg

7ZQkhCM.jpg

vzfa0Mz.jpg

HmFEjaC.jpg

wwghuff.png

EGOwwog.jpg

dmIUej2.jpg

There's a lot to read here!

Hmm, the new daemon prince is clearly designed for CSM given the armory and warp bolted and was previewed for the csm book. Why then is the old daemon prince model in the data sheet entry and no warp bolter in sight?

6 minutes ago, jimbo1701 said:

Hmm, the new daemon prince is clearly designed for CSM given the armory and warp bolted and was previewed for the csm book. Why then is the old daemon prince model in the data sheet entry and no warp bolter in sight?

It's also a shared kit for Age of Sigmar, so chances are if they aren't releasing it with CSM this time around they're holding it back for the Slaves to Darkness release later this year.

2 minutes ago, KaosRaptor said:

It's also a shared kit for Age of Sigmar, so chances are if they aren't releasing it with CSM this time around they're holding it back for the Slaves to Darkness release later this year.

Could be, just doesn’t make sense why they previewed it with the csm stuff to then not include the model in the codex itself. 

11 minutes ago, jimbo1701 said:

Could be, just doesn’t make sense why they previewed it with the csm stuff to then not include the model in the codex itself. 

I'm assuming they never meant to reveal it this early, planned not to mention it until it's release for AoS and update the CSM datasheet then. But because the AoS version was leaked and people were wondering what would happen to the CSM version, they did a community article showing it off to show people there is going to be a CSM version too. But by that point it was too late to change the Codex.

But of course, it's GW. I have no idea how their logic works half the time.

Edited by KaosRaptor

8 minutes ago, jimbo1701 said:

It was only previewed because someone leaked a potato cam photo of the kit in its AoS form, so GW needed to one-up it by showing its 40k form as well. The timing with the CSM preview was just coincidence, I think.

The previous rumor set had Iron Warriors reducing incoming AP by 1. I'm wondering if the change mentioned in the balance dataslate is to replace that since AoC became a thing after the book went to print. I hope not, actually, it'd be nice to shrug off small arms like rubric marines do.

The Sallies had "ignore AP1" as a trait and it became the same "can't reroll wounds against these models" that the IW will now have.  The obvious conclusion is that the IW trait was similar or identical to what the Sallies had, so both were changed identically as well.

35 minutes ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

The Sallies had "ignore AP1" as a trait and it became the same "can't reroll wounds against these models" that the IW will now have.  The obvious conclusion is that the IW trait was similar or identical to what the Sallies had, so both were changed identically as well.

As was Adeptus Sororitas Order of the Valorous Heart was changed to that as well. If Iron Warriors had a reduce AP ability you can bet your bottom dollar it will be changed to "can't re-roll wounds". Honestly, ignoring cover, AoC, and no re-roll wounds sounds pretty good if you ask me.

14 minutes ago, Raven1 said:

As was Adeptus Sororitas Order of the Valorous Heart was changed to that as well. If Iron Warriors had a reduce AP ability you can bet your bottom dollar it will be changed to "can't re-roll wounds". Honestly, ignoring cover, AoC, and no re-roll wounds sounds pretty good if you ask me.

I agree. My first instinct was that ignore cover and no re-roll wounds plus AoC would be very strong in the previous meta. The game is refreshed with the points and mission updates so it’s too soon to tell how strong it really is. 

This preorder not having any new models this weekend is kind strange, TBH. Figured they could release cultists one weekend, and possessed/chosen/warp smith another

11 hours ago, Scribe said:

Will say, in following the leaks on Dakka while the site was down, it was pretty demotivational. 

True, and probably the understatement of the month.

In its own way it was also highly entertaining though...

12 hours ago, nanosquid said:

The previous rumor set had Iron Warriors reducing incoming AP by 1. I'm wondering if the change mentioned in the balance dataslate is to replace that since AoC became a thing after the book went to print. I hope not, actually, it'd be nice to shrug off small arms like rubric marines do.

Since CSM (in power armor) now get "Armor of Contempt", Iron Warriors do not need AP reduction since you can not get more than -1 anyway. If I am understanding that rule correctly.

2 hours ago, Schlitzaf said:

So Heretic lose “Shock” Assault but get just +1 in profile is confirmed? Like other chaos marine books 

+2, actually (going from 1A to 3A for basic CSM) but otherwise, yes.

Tabletop tactics review paints things in a generally positive light. 

My main gripe is the accursed weapons. Personally I prefer separate profiles for power weapons. Lumping the axe/sword/maul back together again for the sake of speeding up / simplifying the game is fine. Even include the lightning claw if need be. 

What is stupid is to have the chosen count all the melee weapons as accursed, the terminators count all except the power and chain fists as accursed, and the legionaries / raptors treat chainswords as chainswords and the champions from the legionaries/havocs/raptors  be able to choose power weapons / fists as normal. It makes no sense to me. Apply the same rule to everything in the codex. 

8 hours ago, Darnok said:

True, and probably the understatement of the month.

In its own way it was also highly entertaining though...

It was, but I'm not sure the sentiment was wrong, and I'm not particularly enthused to find out anymore.

Roll on World Eaters?

Honestly, little lost on the book right now. 

Watched several reviews. They do a good job covering the content, the question they don't answer is how it stacks up against other Codexes.

Feels like that's the important question. Seems like AdMech and Custodes will eat CSM for breakfast, looking to be dissuaded. 

20 hours ago, nanosquid said:

It is as the codex was written before AOC so the balance update changes it. The entire codex has been leaked online like previous codex books and the trait in the codex is if it's ap 1 or 2 worsen the result by 1which would be ignored by AOC rules so they released the balance update to change it like salamanders and that sisters order 

Abbadon is a beast now. And is in my opinion one of the most if not the most potent character in the game. A force multiplier, and a beast in close combat. 

So Just my opinion but Black Legion will be one of the top 3 competitive based lists and I think they’ll play Nephelim very well. The rest (I’m obviously guessing) is going to be middle tier.  I don’t see anything horrible n the codex. It’s in incredibly diverse which is ironic seeing how weirdly they decided to treat Chosen. I still have no clue what they were thinking here. But overall I love this codex, and I wish more codexes were written like this one. There’s a lot of fun stuff, and a lot of ways to run CSM and I hope we see a good variety of it in tournaments.  

Edited by Prot

13 minutes ago, Prot said:

Abbadon is a beast now. And is in my opinion one of the most if not the most potent character in the game. A force multiplier, and a beast in close combat. 

So Just my opinion but Black Legion will be one of the top 3 competitive asked lists and I think they’ll play Nephelim very well. The rest (I’m obviously guessing) is going to be middle tier.  I don’t see anything horrible n the codex. It’s in incredibly diverse which is ironic seeing how weirdly they decided to treat Chosen. I still have no clue what they were thinking here. But overall I love this codex, and I wish more codexes were written like this one. There’s a lot of fun stuff, and a lot of ways to run CSM and I hope we see a good variety of it in tournaments.  

I think we will see Abaddon in a of lists. I heard that if take as the Warlord he gains Agent of Chaos. So I think he will be able to creep into a bunch of lists.