Do our flamers need a buff?

On 6/28/2022 at 2:13 PM, TCC said:

Bring back the template - if people want to bunch up, then they pay for it. 

Honestly, I feel like this would solve a lot of issues, random shot numbers is a killer, I get a dice game is going to be random but adding in all these extra rolls makes it worse. We also probably got hit a lot harder with this change than a lot of other factions

2 hours ago, Harrowmaster said:

Honestly, I feel like this would solve a lot of issues, random shot numbers is a killer, I get a dice game is going to be random but adding in all these extra rolls makes it worse. We also probably got hit a lot harder with this change than a lot of other factions

Yep a dice game is going to be inherently random, but there’s no need to increase the randomness even more than necessary.

and doesn’t necromunda use all the same templates? How does that even make sense?

2 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Yep a dice game is going to be inherently random, but there’s no need to increase the randomness even more than necessary.

and doesn’t necromunda use all the same templates? How does that even make sense?

Not just Munda. Heresy uses them too so I really don't get the removal from 40k. 

One concern I have is that if guard flamers are buffed then all flamers would have to be. Would it be worth it to introduce an order or other rule so that it would stay guard exclusive or is that too selfish?

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

Sponsons and hull weapons can all be heavy flamers:yes:

i'll double check my codex, but i don't remember russes ever having an HF as an option for the hull mount.

edit

confirmed must have overlooked it because none of the editions i'd previously been familiar with allowed it.

Edited by Inquisitor_Lensoven

I hate templates in bigger scale games and hope they never come back to 40k, they put me off Heresy too. I've been playing since the late 80s and templates have always caused more arguments and issues that they've solved.

To fix Flamers I think the idea of a hit on every model in the unit works just fine. BUT the strength of a standard flamer should drop to 2 with heavy flamers at 3. Then you add a rule that you DON'T get extra shots for additional flamers but they DO add +1 to the strength for each additional flamer weapon.

Rik