[HH] Legacies of the Age of Darkness PDF

Better late than never, but this does seem to be a genuinely good effort here, some solid glow ups even if its not covering all the options (Comp sponsons are loose, but extra sponsons for baneblade chassis are missing for example). Even a few new options like Fenrisian wolves (I kinda regret going SoH for my new tanks, Space Wolves were a close contender and i love the image of wolves running alongside the tanks :D ) 

The fortifications are weird though, seem very expensive and some inexplicable choices for the aquilla for example. Did not expect to see the Hammerfall! 

Lots to digest anyway.  

Posted (edited)

Baneblade-variants almost literally doubled in price which is... weird, be interesting to see how they turn out come Liber Imperial.

Macharius and Gorgon have official 30k entries rather than you having to crank open Imperial Armour.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Posted (edited)

I'm very glad so many of the generic units made it through. Also happy that Farith Redloss now actually seems worth taking.

However, very miffed with how some of characters lost a lot of the things that made them unique, such as Golg (Terminators as troops) and didn't Mor use to have S5/T5? And what the hell is up with that terrible Warlord trait?

Edited by The Observer

46 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Better late than never

How can it be late if they never published an expected release date? Either way, it's been released less than 10 working days after the main rules were released, which is a win from me. 

Great to see these units included, now I can use all my BA dreads in a Dreadbox army! 

Posted (edited)

It's interesting how some units are clear favourites of the designers, while others have been mercilessly nerfed into being useless, like Attack Bikes.

Also, the inclusion of the Primaris Hammerfall Bunker is weird and anachronistic as hell.  Its 40k sales must be really poor... :sweat:

Edited by lansalt

Really happy to see this but are standard landspeeders missing from the PDF? They’re listed in the article as being included but I cannot find them in the pdf.

6 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Also, the inclusion of the Primaris Hammerfall Bunker is weird and anachronistic as hell.  Its 40k sales must be really poor... :sweat:

I skimmed the pdf and missed that somehow. Damn GW, that's bad :facepalm:

On the other hand, Liber: Alpha Legion just got like 20 times bigger with all these other units :pirate:

11 minutes ago, lansalt said:

It's interesting how some units are clear favourites of the designers, while others have been mercilessly nerfed into being useless, like Attack Bikes.

I honestly thought you had to be joking. I had to go read it twice and still can't believe it.

19 minutes ago, Doobles88 said:

Very nice to see this. Also the wording around these being "expanded" units and so as freely usable as the main book units, rather than 40k's Legends system, is good. 

The whole Core and Expanded units concept is one of my favourite parts of this new edition. It's so much better than legends and I hope the maintain and expand on it. And I love that we are getting so many 'new' units for free. There are a few things in the pdf I'm really happy to see, particularly box-naughts and phobos Land Raiders. Nothing is a must-have I think, but it gives players more choices and way to tailor a list to their own preferences. The missing legion specific units and characters are very welcome as well.

Its definitely an odd inclusion but the Hammerfall bunker isnt Primaris, just a different type of deathstorm pod really, (which is a point, are deathstorm pods in the main book?) no reason they cant be heresy era.

And yes, even if they didnt promise a date, this is certainly late, it should have been out on release. 

23 minutes ago, lansalt said:

I don't remember Hammerfall Bunker ever being reffered to as "Primaris" unit. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Warp Rider said:

Really happy to see this but are standard landspeeders missing from the PDF? They’re listed in the article as being included but I cannot find them in the pdf.

14 minutes ago, lansalt said:

landspeeders are already in both Liber books

8 minutes ago, Warp Rider said:

Got it - guess I got it mixed up with the Proteus, I appreciate it.

You're right though, the Land Speeder Proteus is a specific Heresy Era model and features in the black books, along with the Javelin, while the plastic Land Speeder, which they alluded to in the article, is not in the update. 

Proteus = in the book. 

Spoiler

FW: Proteus Pattern Land Speeder Rides Again - Now With More Guns - Bell of  Lost Souls

Normal speeder = not in the pdf, but should be

Spoiler

Land Speeder | Games Workshop Webstore

Edited by Xenith

2 minutes ago, lansalt said:

The plastic 40k speeder is canonically a post Heresy pattern

Ah, good catch, thanks! I was assuming the current plastic was essential an up-armoured/enclosed version of this one

Spoiler

Land Speeder - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

However that guy is also not a Land Speeder Proteus and would need some Heresy Rules! 

1 hour ago, The Observer said:

I'm very glad so many of the generic units made it through. Also happy that Farith Redloss now actually seems worth taking.

However, very miffed with how some of characters lost a lot of the things that made them unique, such as Golg (Terminators as troops) and didn't Mor use to have S5/T5? And what the hell is up with that terrible Warlord trait?

Both havocs and golg got done dirty. Losing tank hunter and ignore a point of cover really stings. 

Theres such a wide gap between "updated to have a better function and an interesting niche" type units like the ultras storm squad, scars lightning scouts, and a bunch of the characters, and the "bare bones rules, none of their flavor" units like havocs, golg, Cassian Dracos, rylanor, Telemachus and whatever else. I really don't understand the dreadnought characters treatment at all.

Exemplary battle units also got updated to be in a really weird place and got worse in a number of cases, almost like they didn't want them competing with the main book units.

I'm glad they've included more units, but I'm baffled as to why they removed them in the first place. I've not bought the new Liber books so this is the first time I've realised that prior to this, I would no longer have been able to include my Phobos land raider, indomitus termies, stormblade or the medusa I've had my eye on for my Iron Warriors. Also the use of 'gravis' everywhere looks horrible, since the only other context it's been used in for Warhammer so far is Primaris. Have Iron Havocs lost Tank Hunter? I could have sworn they had it in the old edition.

As for the hammerfall bunker? Weird choice, guess they want to sell more kits of it.