10th ed rumours, take salt as needed.

Message added by Khornestar,

++ Looks like there's no additional information forthcoming, so once there is, please alert the mods so we can open the thread back up for discussion.++

There’s nothing too outlandish there that seems unbelievable although it does seem like a short time to release a marine codex in 2023 then a new edition a few months later. 

It’s a shame jump infantry are coming in at a time when the game is such a bloated mess though :(

Hmmm :dry: The thing that doesn't sit right with me is the first bit - 'Shadowspear style release with World Eaters'; this doesn't sit with GW's current approach to new armies which is a separate army box at first release. Unless the WE army is released before this alleged battle-box? :huh:

Otherwise, I'd say we're due for another starter with Tyranids, and the BA units listed are due for Primarising, so the rest wouldn't surprise me if true. 

There's no way the new edition launch box will have sub-faction specific units. 

I could see them having jump infantry and an upgrade sprue as padding, but not the sanguinary priest. It's also miles lighter on content than Indomitus was, unless 'features' means 'includes' all rather than being all encompassing. 

All of that is very possible.

But why release a codex only a month or two before a new edition?

Unless 10th is simply a streamlining of 9th - which would honestly be quite welcoming. 40k needs a whole new set of missions with a different design ethos as much as anything else. The game needs to tone down the admin heavy book-keeping.

Considdering earlier this year that CM Valrak said something about a close combat redemptor, Heavy primaris infantry with heavy fire power, sharing a box with Tyranids. It could be legit, or just the same info, worded differently. 

The avatar of Sanguinius is a nice touch though and could be in line with how boxes will evolve (I see some overlap with the AoS starter kit and these rumours, some wingerd super mini).

However, all this stuff would be specifically targeted at blood angel players, I don't play niks or BA, and I don't see other chapters fielding death company, sang guard or furiosos.

Let alone, the Sanguinor.

Posted (edited)

I'm currently on the disbelieving side of this one.

As @DesuVult and @firestorm40k mentioned, a Shadowspear-style box for World Eaters doesn't really line up with how GW have been doing releases for new factions/completely revamped factions. Sororitas, Ork Beastsnaggas, Black Templars and Chaos Knights all got their own separate army boxes, and I personally expect the same thing to happen for both World Eaters and Leagues of Votann.

Edited by RWJP

34 minutes ago, Valkyrion said:

There's no way the new edition launch box will have sub-faction specific units. 

I could see them having jump infantry and an upgrade sprue as padding, but not the sanguinary priest. It's also miles lighter on content than Indomitus was, unless 'features' means 'includes' all rather than being all encompassing. 

Dark Vengeance did.

Posted (edited)

I would be very surprised for them to release updated Hormagaunts but no Termagants at the same time.

(Unless we'll see updated Termagants in the upcoming Kill Team sets against Kharskin)

Edited by Matrindur

A shadowspear style box isn’t totally out of the realms of possibility. I know it doesn’t seem to follow the current pattern but if they were releasing some easy-build style world eaters units with the multi-part sets to follow later then shadowspear would be a good way to do that. That would make it more in line with the sisters and Deathguard releases to some extent. 

I’m not saying I won’t be surprised if this is the way they go but I definitely think it’s plausible enough that we can’t discount the possibility of the rumour being right because of it.

Having a starter set with chapter specific miniatures isn't actually too much of a stretch for me, and they have done it before.

This could be relating to lore around the Devastation of Baal, or a campaign that takes place after, set in Imperium Nihilus.

If that rumour is to be believed, then I'd prefer to think the 10th Edition starter would come before the SM Codex 2.0, but then again I assume the OP has written them in release order?

Would be surprised if a starter set is faction/chapter specific, unless its an upgrade sprue along with the jump infantry to make them Death Company.

Whats throwing me off is the Sanguinary Priest - its an odd choice to go with the Captain as they are again Chapter specific?

I'll stay on the doubt side until Valrak pipes up that 'Alpharius' has confirmed or denied it

YAY for Terminators though!!

1 hour ago, DesuVult said:

I am on the disbelieving side now.  Launching a new faction with a 2 faction box feels unlikely.  Starters featuring a marine subfaction with a subfaction locked unit feels unlikely.  "Primaris terminators" feels like bait.

What do you mean by new faction? Blood Angels, World Eaters and Tyranids are all existing factions. If you mean by new codex...then Dark Imperium. New codex, redesigned models for the Death Guard, first revealed and available in a starter box. 

46 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

What in the Emperors name, is a macrofex:tongue:

Given that the new Old One Eye is apparently the same size, I'm guessing "massive frickin' Carnifex" for starters.

Not that I believe there's much to believe in these rumours, of course. New Hormagaunts and a new "Hypergaunt" swarm kit seems a bit strange, given that as far as I'm aware Hypers are just a specific Hormagaunt load out. Especially with the lack of new Termagants.

Interesting if true. Wouldn't be too bad for me- got a buddy that plays both Nid and BA so I could probably just grab the Primaris Termies off of one of the couple of boxes that he'd buy.

I'm more interested in the jump assault Primaris infantry- would they just be Assault Intercessors with jumppacks or Gravis armored big boys?