A bunch of FAQs have just been announced on Warcom - you can download them on the FAQ section.

Included are;

• Deathwatch
  • Adeptus Custodes
  • Adeptus Mechanicus
  • Drukhari
  • Genestealer Cults
  • Grey Knights
  • Orks
  • T'au Empire
  • Imperial Armour Compendium
  • Psychic Awakening: The Greater Good
  • War Zone Octarius Book 1: Rising Tode
  • Warhammer 40,000 Core Book

There's not a lot in this one. Most of it is minor changes that don't do much other than clarify or fix something. A decent number of them have no updates at all despite being included in the update. The only big change I've spotted is that FW Knights now have the relevant keyword and rules to use stuff from the two Knights Codexes (I'll leave it to someone with the Codexes to say exactly what).

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Toxichobbit said:

A decent number of them have no updates at all despite being included in the update.

They do have updates, but GW doesn't make it obvious. They've had stuff removed. For example, the FAQ doc for "Psychic Awakening: The Greater Good" has had everything referring to T'au content removed, because all of the T'au content has been superseded by the new Codex.

Similarly, the AdMech FAQ has had a number of things removed, such as the previous FAQ that removed Core from the Ironstriders and Dragoons amongst others. For comparison, here's the previous one: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/MCsBL0QFGv7JNK1z.pdf and here's the new one: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/S8LXbidg8ZkkK8Jv.pdf

I really feel GW should have a little summary at the bottom of the document that flags when stuff has been removed to make it clearer!

Edited by RWJP

Finally some clarification on what happens if a unit that cannot be affected by psychic powers is the closest unit to a psyker that manifests Smite or something like it.

Believe it or not, I have actually had a game where this was a point of contention. We agreed to roll off to decide who was right.

1 hour ago, Vassakov said:

Yeah, the change to engagement range is pretty massive. Means if you're hiding in ruins there's a potential 7" charge out of deepstrike if you aren't careful. Even better for armies with +1 to charge or rerolls. 

The rule is quite specific, I'm not sure it can be used in that way:ermm:

1 hour ago, Vassakov said:

Yeah, the change to engagement range is pretty massive. Means if you're hiding in ruins there's a potential 7" charge out of deepstrike if you aren't careful. Even better for armies with +1 to charge or rerolls. 

My Knights certainly appreciate it.

9 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

So the change is that previously, it was possible to position a unit within a terrain feature in such a way that their 1" engagement range essentially ended inside a wall, and there wasn't enough room on the interior of the building to legally position a model. As such, a straight charge through the building wasn't possible and you needed a bigger charge to try and go round. I've been both on the receiving end of this, and done it myself at GT's in the UK.

The change, as I understand it, means that for most infantry base sizes, this trick won't work - if you are close to the wall, the engagement range will be over the other side of the wall (which makes the charge shorter as you only need to get into engagement range to succeed). If you are far enough away from the wall to stop that, there's going to be a big enough gap to fit models on the inside.

Posted (edited)

Very weirdly written. Tourneys can just get around it by making their ruin walls 1" thick. Some already do. Just saying ruin walls have the defence line special rule (engagement is within 1" either side of it) would have been more elegant. 

2 hours ago, Emperor Ming said:

That's how it's written. Deepstrike is 9.01" away, normally you need to roll a 9+ to get within 1", however now an 8+ will get you 1.1" away, which is the new engagement range. It just means that now you need to be ~1.5" from the wall to protect from charges from things on 40mm or greater bases, while things on 32mm or less are difficult to deny - however the smaller bases will now be charging into area terrain, so have a -2 penalty. It doesn't really change much - charges against a unit a little bit away from the wall are now possible, but harder, instead of impossible, while charges against a unit in b2b with the wall are now easier. 

Edited by Xenith

Maybe I'm not reading it right:confused: Or I'm missing something:tongue:

But since you only get this new rule if your within 1 already of the area terrain feature, how do deep strikers get the 2 engagement range as they wont be within 1. 

It's situational, but if you can deep strike so that you're 9" away from an enemy unit in a ruin, you can potentially charge 8" and end up within 1" of the ruin (triggering the extended engagement range) and within 2" of the enemy unit, meaning your 8" charge is now successful.

45 minutes ago, Rogue said:

It's situational, but if you can deep strike so that you're 9" away from an enemy unit in a ruin, you can potentially charge 8" and end up within 1" of the ruin (triggering the extended engagement range) and within 2" of the enemy unit, meaning your 8" charge is now successful.

This is how I read it as well.