++ True Believers : Word Bearers in 9th Edition ++

"Cast down the idols! Destroy the temples! Slay the priests! Show these fools that they worship nothing more than a rotting corpse!"

- Dark Apostle Harzhan of the Word BearersA Dark Apostle of The Word Bearers - The Dark Apostles are the corrupted  Chaplains of the Word Bearers Chao… | Warhammer fantasy, Warhammer,  Warhammer 40k artwork

This thread is the catch-all for Word Bearers discussion subsequent to the 9th edition codex release. Narrative discussion, army/special rules, army lists, pictures of modelssharing artwork, etc.

Note: PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD AS A WORK IN PROGRESS LOG. I encourage you to share your work, even progress shots, but please don't spam the thread. ++

Have at it!

Edited by Khornestar

I thibk Word Bearers trait of rerolling hits is really good as it allows your Apostle to do other prayers, (like the transhuman hit one for a unit). Though it does push the army into a more melee focus, which luckily Chaos excels at in many regards.

5+ on mortals is always good, as everyone already knows

Hexagrammic Ward would be handy for railguns, just realised it can work in combat too. So if used with a mark of Tzeench you can get double the effect for a unit or character.

If Alpha Legion didn't fit my army theme and colours I'd probably go Word Bearers (could still go as them and call the warband "The Turquiose Sepulchre" or something lol).

Following this thread—I’m very excited to get back to Word Bearers with this release. 

I’m especially interested in people’s thoughts on how they’ll run Dark Apostles, Masters of Possession, and Possessed.  I don’t have the book yet or I’d post some ideas myself. 

So it looks like a Master of Possession with Master of the Union WL trait and Malefic Tome is still a solid choice backing up a large unit of Possessed. Master of the Union seems to give the same benefit as the Mark of Khorne, which is a really sweet spot to get Possessed to S6 and AP-3.  And +1 to cast and +1 spell is a great set of caster buffs. 

I also really like a Legionary unit with power fist and plasma pistol on the champ, the big axe and the tome for upgrades, and chainswords for the rest. Seems like a real solid melee threat with our hit rerolls. 

Still not sure what I’ll want to give the Dank Apostle, or what spells and prayers to pass around, but that will take some tinkering. The Malefic discipline prayer that heals and brings back models is a must-take though. 

Just a cool tactic I found when looking through things, the warlord trait daemonic whispers(?) gives a pretty steady flow of command points which is really handy in the new chapter approved, obviously you pay for the trait but it effectively gets refunded in the first turn and then each turn afterwards you get an extra point to use! 

Edit: The idea I'm thinking is to use this on a master of possession who is using the Word Bearers secondary action so can sit in the middle of the board using powers and getting this action done, three rolls to get the extra points per turn, provided he doesn't die! 

Edited by danodan123

1 hour ago, danodan123 said:

Just a cool tactic I found when looking through things, the warlord trait daemonic whispers(?) gives a pretty steady flow of command points which is really handy in the new chapter approved, obviously you pay for the trait but it effectively gets refunded in the first turn and then each turn afterwards you get an extra point to use! 

Edit: The idea I'm thinking is to use this on a master of possession who is using the Word Bearers secondary action so can sit in the middle of the board using powers and getting this action done, three rolls to get the extra points per turn, provided he doesn't die! 

I played a 1500 point game last night, with a MoP as my Warlord in a Word Bearers army and I paid the CP for the Malefic Tome and Daemonic Whispers. I saw it in kind of the same light, pay a CP to get refunded on turn 1 anyway. I got a CP back every round except the 5th so effectively net me an extra 3 CP over the game. Seems like a decent trait.

At the end of the 8th era (before AoC), I learned to like to Master of Executions for the Bearers of the Word. Hexagrammic Wards meant that often this little maniac was still standing, ready to dish out some pain. Now in the new book it gets even better.

Barebone

Master of Executions, Mark of Tzeentch

6" Intervention right into something nasty. AoC improves the save, the first failed save is a big 0, you can give him a 4++ via the Tzeentch spell and if all fails, you can make another attack a big 0 via Hexagrammic Wards. And if even that is not enough, 4+ via Dark Pact and he is back in action. Then (except with Dark Pact, that takes a bit longer) you roll 6 dice to hit on a 2+ with rerolls (meaning you should always fish for those 6), S7 with rerolls thanks to Trophy Taker, -3 AP and D2 plus some mortal wounds. Thats a cheap package.

Relic Upgrades

Some interesting options are changing to Slaanesh for the Intoxicating Elixir (First strike does not hurt either) for the not-more-then-3-wounds lost or the Gorget of Eternal Hate for a 2+/4++ and explosion on death. Q'O'AK the Boundless if you really do not like Invuls. (Daemon weapons are less of a problem for Word Bearers) Word Bearer specific we have the Armour Diabolus for a 2+ as well as a good amount of Mortal Wounds (although I think the Gorget is a better here.) or the Baleful Icon to shut down all kinds of rerolls in Close Combat.

Warlord Upgrades

Exalted Possession for basically everything you need. 7 Attacks, S8, 6 wounds (improves the Armour Diabolus) and especially movement. Diabolist for 5+++ and shutting down rerolls to wound. Flames of Spite for even more Mortal Wounds or Gaze of the Gods for 4++ and all the Wantons you need.

So if you really want to kit the Master of Executions out, I would go for Exalted Possession and probably Q'O'AK the Boundless to ensure things die. But frankly, its not at all neccessary. A barebone Master of Executions with Mark of Tzeentch has a good combination if gank and tank.

Ok I've had a good long think and I've decided to go to Word Bearers.

Although my main colour is green with gold trim covered with blue ink I do have screamer pink robes (with blue ink) and the inside of the shoulder plates are screamer pink too,  (no blue ink).

Here is my list (selections are from what I already own / aam converting)

Master of Possession: Daemonic Whispers, Warlord

Dark Apostle: Exalted Possession, Epistle of Lorgar

Daemon Prince: Master of the Union

5 legionaries, chainsword and boltpistol

5 legionaries, chainsword and boltpistol

9 mutants and 3 torments

10 Possessed

9 Rubrics with 8 flamers

9 Rubrics with 8 flamers

5 Rubrics + soulreaper cannon

Helbrute Mark of Tzeench + MM and fist

Helbrute Mark of Tzeench + MM and fist

4 Spawn

4 Spawn

Ok so the Daemon Prince and the Apostle are fast enough to keep up with the possessed and they form the main hammer of the army. If I put master of the union on the Apostle he'd slow them down.

Mutants and Small unit of Rubrics sit on a home objective.

The big units of rubrics run around and delete what needs deleting.

The spawn get to enjoy the reroll hits to help their low WS

The Helbrutes are my only source of AT shooting, so that is a concern. Big concern or little?

What need to be changed?

Oh and I am converting my possessed from Havocs using extra spawn bits.

The lack of anti tank is concerning, not exactly sure what I’d change. Is it a tournament list or just for fun? If the latter, I’d try it out and modify it afterwards based on your experience.

Would love to see those possessed when you’ve built them.

1 hour ago, Khornestar said:

The lack of anti tank is concerning, not exactly sure what I’d change. Is it a tournament list or just for fun? If the latter, I’d try it out and modify it afterwards based on your experience.

Would love to see those possessed when you’ve built them.

Thanks.

It will be both, I try and do all-comer lists.

Here are the five done so far, will need to buy another box of Havocs for the next. I have all the spawn piece ready though.

The guy with the robed head and crab claw will be the champion of the unit.

I also put a picture of my Exhalted Sorcerer (now Master of Possession, his kopesh is his "sacrificial dagger" going to call him Dundee) to show the colour scheme I'm going with for the armour. Skin will probably be palid flesh with blue ink, as I've done for my Exhalted Sorcerer.

20220709_213319.jpg

20220709_213338.jpg

EDIT: I'm not that great of a painter, my hands are really unsteady. I use inks to bring out the models definition.

20220709_221049.jpg

Edited by Gilbertus1

Nice! Can’t say I’m a particularly good painter myself, but I like that sorcerer! It’s cool that you devised an effective method to account for having shaky hands. And regardless of quality, there is no better army than a painted army. If it’s imperfect, so be it, but an army of grey plastic is not half as fun to play against IMO.

Nice job! Let us know how the list does when you throw down with it.

Hmm, I'll look into it and see if I like how it looks (and whether I could pull it off sufficiently)

EDIT:

Getting back to Word Bearers.

With the unit of 10 Possessed if set up right they will be hit on 4+ and wounded on 6s vs BL Terminators.

MoP gives the unit T6, so accused weapons (or bladeguard) wound on 5+. Add in the black rune (which I forgot to write in my list), it becomes 6s. Works great for shooting too, many "anti-elite" weapons are S5/6 so this reduces their efficiency and may force your opponent to use anti-tank weapons on them.

Illusory supplication gives trans-hits which is always handy. Our apostles can get a reroll so it should be "on" most of the time.

Onto offense.

Master of the Union from the DP makes the possessed (and possessed Apostle) +1S and AP -3. So reducing Terminators to a 4+ save or marines to a 5+.

The possessed can be boosted to S7 (instead of T6) to shred up tanks.

This unit is perfect for helping the MoP complete the Word Bearers secondary in the centre of the board, since it doesnt work if there are any enemy nearby... so just delete them from the board if they get near.

Edited by Gilbertus1

I'm thinking of building around the word bearers secondary, maybe even including a nocolith crown in the middle, mop, termites deepstriking to put a block right in front of the 6 inch middle zone, mop to do the action and shoot out buffs/maledictions - need something fast there too so maybe venomcrawler and land raider with possessed to dump a load of good stuff straight to the middle.

A quick question, if the Dark Apostle has the exhalted possession trait would his movement still be limited by his dark disciples. I assume so, but I don't have the book handy yet.

If so then the apostle won't be keeping up with the possessed and I may remove that trait.

Any ideas for a replacement? Was thinking Diabolist and make him the Warlord as he has more protection.

Thats really something I have to get used to. CSM is divided into many parts, basically core, cultist, daemonkin and vehicles. And only a very few choice effects are not limited by this.

The apostle is the core/cultist guy, the MoP the daemonkin guy (but has some core effects), the warpsmith/Disco the vehicles Guy and the Chaos Lord is another core Guy, but mostly a Beatstick.

Edited by MasterDeath

What do people think are the best melee choices for Ul'o'cca, the Black on a Chaos Lord with Flames of Spite? I'm trying to figure out the best choices for mine.

4 hours ago, Astral_Jackal said:

What do people think are the best melee choices for Ul'o'cca, the Black on a Chaos Lord with Flames of Spite? I'm trying to figure out the best choices for mine.

I’ve been seeing hype for Master of Executions for that combo.

7 hours ago, Astral_Jackal said:

Specifically for a beatstick Lord? Ul'o'cca on a Thunder Hammer + Flames is the best setup. As Khornestar briefly mentioned, an MoE with Ul'o'cca + Exalted Possession is even better offensively than a Hammer Lord. The character is quite fragile though as it lacks an native invuln, which Exalted Possession helps with somewhat (though it's ranged only, and as a character with Look Out Sir protection it's questionable how useful that is). Best bet would be to combo the MoE with a Master of Possession and a block of Possessed. MoP casts Cursed Earth to give Daemonkin (which the EP WLT gives to the MoE) within 6" a full 4++.